Have had no heating in my house for a month

dianasparrow

I have been very cold and am wondering if anyone has any links they could pass on to me about how very low temperatures in housing during the winter in the uk affects diabetic in both the long and short term.
I have googled but not much success. I am type 2, 66 and also suffer from depression and have Aspergers,...
Would really appreciate some help in gathering evidence of harm caused by no heating for a month to a person in my circumstances...
hope someone can help with info, thanks Di

Last edited by a moderator:

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Have you checked your lease? That is the first thing to do. Then when you are sure as to responsibility take it from there. If it is down to the landlord try your local CAB and or Social work dept at the council. If it is down to you it is down to you.

tizzy

Phone your local council or housing association I don't know about you medical conditions and how that may affect things but they have a duty of care responsibility and such if you have a care manager talk to them aswell don't put up with it someone should be able to help you I hope someone can help more than me I have a daughter with aspergers and know how vulnerable people with this condition are good luck

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/advice_from_us/heating-and-hot-water/
This is also quite clear on the facts. I a few years ago used to rent spare rooms in my house to exchange students. I had to have a landlords safety certificate, now if the boiler is broken then it would not pass an inspection therefore he could be in breach of his safety certificate of which you should have been given a copy. Hope this helps.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
While waiting as an idea. We have a single heated blanket on the settee. great to turn on heat up while on settee. Also another on the bed both are all nighters although never used as such just feel more secure with that sort.

I agree with above on the safety cert. I rent out mums house (now mine) anything wrong l get onto sorting it even if it isnt a major problem at the time the person is l am sure breaking the law on heating.

jopar

I assume that you have a private landlord....

If the heating was in situ and there's isn't a clause within your tenancy agreement that specifies that the tenant is responsible for the maintenance, repair and/or replacement of the heating. Then the responsibility is the landlords.

So what can be done...

If you have given the correct notification to the landlord, and the landlord is either refusing or has failed to arrange for maintenance, repair etc, after a set period the tenant can legally arrange for maintenance repair etc and have the contractor send the bill to the landlord for payment. There is a set procedure though, so it's is wise either to contact your local citizen Advice or local council housing office, so they can check that you have the right and have followed correct procedure before going ahead.

As to disabilities and entitlements

When it comes to heating side of home.

The law say's that people who have children under 5 or are themselves elderly (above pension age) can't not have water or fuel cut off...

But most organisations do have an 'Vulnerable Persons' register which you would need to fit the organisation criteria (can be different for each organisation) this can entitle the individual to priority, concession or protection dependent on organisation though

In the case of council or housing association, it will give you an higher priority for an repair both in it's deemed emergency, and the timescale that the repair needs to be carried out.

Heating wise, there's no particular legislation that heating or it's provision is required to ensure a min temperature etc... However there is an EU directive that effects social housing where heating is being provided.... It based on fuel poverty...

Where equipment is provided for heating, then the running cost most not exceed an set percentage of the income, if it does and the equipment is old and outdated, then you can enforce replacement to a new more efficient heating equipment.

dianasparrow

My Landlord has denied responsibility for fixing the central heating.
I have been very cold and am wondering if anyone has any links they could pass on to me about how very low temperatures in housing during the winter in the uk affects diabetic in both the long and short term.
I have googled but not much success. I am type 2, 66 and also suffer from depression and have Aspergers,...
Would really appreciate some help in gathering evidence of harm caused by no heating for a month to a person in my circumstances...
hope someone can help, thanks Di

I will make this clear...I am not asking for help with my tenant situation I am asking for help for " I have been very cold and am wondering if anyone has any links they could pass on to me about how very low temperatures in housing during the winter in the uk affects diabetic in both the long and short term. "

I have dealt with the landlord I am now researching the damage done to me by the circumstances.
Thank you
Di

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

I would be interested to know why he thinks he is not responsible.
The only reason that I can think of as to why he is refusing repairs is because he thinks that you are responsible for the heating breaking down by any action you have taken with the heating.

This article explains your rights,
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_a...s_in_rented_homes_-_whos_responsible_for_what

As others have said please go to CAB and they will deal with the dispute.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
This lot of URL may be of use several things on affecting, put full list rather than individual instances so you can scan through for what you need.

MID

dianasparrow

If the heating was in situ and there's isn't a clause within your tenancy agreement that specifies that the tenant is responsible for the maintenance, repair and/or replacement of the heating. Then the responsibility is the landlords.

So what can be done...

If you have given the correct notification to the landlord, and the landlord is either refusing or has failed to arrange for maintenance, repair etc, after a set period the tenant can legally arrange for maintenance repair etc and have the contractor send the bill to the landlord for payment. There is a set procedure though, so it's is wise either to contact your local citizen Advice or local council housing office, so they can check that you have the right and have followed correct procedure before going ahead.

The law say's that people who have children under 5 or are themselves elderly (above pension age) can't not have water or fuel cut off...

But most organisations do have an 'Vulnerable Persons' register which you would need to fit the organisation criteria (can be different for each organisation) this can entitle the individual to priority, concession or protection dependent on organisation though

In the case of council or housing association, it will give you an higher priority for an repair both in it's deemed emergency, and the timescale that the repair needs to be carried out.

Heating wise, there's no particular legislation that heating or it's provision is required to ensure a min temperature etc... However there is an EU directive that effects social housing where heating is being provided.... It based on fuel poverty...

Where equipment is provided for heating, then the running cost most not exceed an set percentage of the income, if it does and the equipment is old and outdated, then you can enforce replacement to a new more efficient heating equipment.
This lot of URL may be of use several things on affecting, put full list rather than individual instances so you can scan through for what you need.

MID
Thanks mud Island dweller, so far you have been the only one to have understood the question...unfortunately I have already found these links in google but they do not address the issue enough for me...was hoping for something a bit more specific to an indoor low temp...maybe I will repost with a more understandable question on the same issue...thanks anyway Mud <3

dianasparrow

So what can be done...

Thanks but I know my rights...I was wanting an answer to the question not a comment on the circumstances that led up to my question...but thanks anyway <3

dianasparrow

Hi,

I would be interested to know why he thinks he is not responsible.
The only reason that I can think of as to why he is refusing repairs is because he thinks that you are responsible for the heating breaking down by any action you have taken with the heating.

This article explains your rights,
http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_a...s_in_rented_homes_-_whos_responsible_for_what

As others have said please go to CAB and they will deal with the dispute.
Thanks but I know my rights...I was wanting an answer to the question not a comment on the circumstances that led up to my question...but thanks anyway <3

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Your asking for help but not exactly winning over those trying to help you. They may not be answering the question but...

Anyway no idea.

dianasparrow

So what can be done...

Bit broad ranging but may be a help with this one is a PDF
This URL also can apply to diabetics when you read what we can suffer from then equate this and other url
Thank you yes useful as I have not found these...but still need more...guess they all presume diabetics live in warm houses lol....wondering if diabetics need more heat than normal peeps ...we also need a more expensive diet ...maybe lobby parliament for more money for us lol

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Nothing I'm aware of.

But, if you believe you were being caused harm, a more reasonable line would have been to mitigate your losses, ie, buy several heaters, run them, then sue the landlord for the cost of the heaters, and excess electricity.
If you didn't take any action yourself, it would make your case much harder to claim any compensation for.

dianasparrow

Nothing I'm aware of.

But, if you believe you were being caused harm, a more reasonable line would have been to mitigate your losses, ie, buy several heaters, run them, then sue the landlord for the cost of the heaters, and excess electricity.
If you didn't take any action yourself, it would make your case much harder to claim any compensation for.
A more reasonable line?
All I am asking is does anyone know any good links to the correlation of a cold dwelling and adverse affects of diabetes...I have not declared any of my other efforts to claim compensation/have redress etc, that is not necessary to the issue...I just want to know has any pertaining information to the question, but thanks for your help <3

dianasparrow

Your asking for help but not exactly winning over those trying to help you. They may not be answering the question but...

Anyway no idea.

I have already declared I have Aspergers...we don't play anything [nice or nasty] we just deal in facts ...I am not asking for help I am asking for information that would be pertinent and helpful, but thanks for your input anyway

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Did you get to learn anything sparrow?
I can see you struggled to get anyone to listen to what you were actually asking. o_O
You might be a youngster for al I know but I do know age concern have the kind of details you're looking for.
Obviously they use it for oldies but .... there is something about constant cold temperatures affecting the heart and raising the risk of heart attacks.
Try them if you still need the info .... if you're still around to read this too.
Best of luck.