Should I be worried about my elevated blood sugars in the morning?

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

I would like to know, Should I be worried about my elevated blood sugars in the morning? I take two 5mg glipizides with 'breakfast' (which is usually lunch as I don't eat breakfast, around 12-1.30pm) and two more with my evening meal (anywhere from 6pm-8pm)

When I wake up my sugars are from 11 - 14, and I'm told I should be between 5 - 8.

Is this a concern? Can I take another glipizide with dinner or will this be ineffective? I've tried to speak to the diabetes nurses at my hospital but they seem unconcerned.

Thanks everyone,

Rosie

-----------------------
Background info on me:
I was diagnosed last year in the summer with Diabetes after a few months of feeling lethargic, thirsty and quite unwell. I had a hospital stay for a week (admitted with blood sugar of 56) and was initially diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (insulin dependant) as I didn't respond to Type 2 medication at the time.

I have since moved on to Glipizide which I believe is medication for type 2 as I have been found to produce my own insulin. I was given a test for MODY Diabetes which has come back negative - I believe they tested me for this because my Hb1ac first time came back as 7.7 and then a few months later came back as 5.5 and I was told I had been too strict with my sugars, but I had said nothing had changed about the way I ate since my first hb1ac.

I am very aware of hypos - I know when I am about to have one, and I shake and can't talk properly when I have one.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I cant offer any advice on medication but I would be interested to know what you eat.

As a Type 2 my food choices have had a massive effect on me. What I ate they day before can effect my readings the next day

What are your levels like the rest of the day?

DO you have any weight to lose?
Can you exercise?

Try getting your GP involved. If they don't know the answers to your medication queries then they can get in touch with the Diabetes team

Cara

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi Rosie,
Has your DN commented on you skipping breakfast ? It is about the most important meal of the day as you have had no food intake overnight.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your morning B/G reading after first awaking are certainly a matter of some concern as readings of 11-14 mmol/L are most certainly far too high and this need further investigation as to what is the principle cause.
Also as 'Alanp35' quite rightly says, you should never skip breakfas for as it's name says, it is 'Break Fast' meaning that it's the time to take in that first supply of daily nutrients, carbohydrates and energy for the start of the working day.

Last edited by a moderator:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Rosie, as others have commented, your morning readings are too high and need addressing. A lot of people get slightly higher readings first thing due to liver dump but not as high as yours. I would keep a diary of readings and food for a week and speak to your DSN or post here for advice. Good luck. Mo

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I cant offer any advice on medication but I would be interested to know what you eat.

As a Type 2 my food choices have had a massive effect on me. What I ate they day before can effect my readings the next day

What are your levels like the rest of the day?

DO you have any weight to lose?
Can you exercise?

Try getting your GP involved. If they don't know the answers to your medication queries then they can get in touch with the Diabetes team

Cara

Hi Cara,
I try to eat carbs with every meal (this is what i was told to do when i was a type 1 - does the same thing apply to type 2?) and I try to eat balanced meals. I mostly eat homemade veggie pizza which is made out of wholemeal pitta breads, not much cheese, lots of tomato and veggies. Fish fingers, amys kitchen soups, pastas, mash and gravy with veggie sausages & veg, with the occasional takeout.
My levels after I've taken the glipizide are usually good, 5.0, 7.0, that kind of reading.

I am overweight, but nobody has asked me to lose any at the diabetes clinic. I am trying to lose weight though for an unrelated problem.

I exercise daily, 20 minute dog walks (which i know are good at keeping the sugars down), Yoga once weekly, and ball room dancing also weekly.

I managed to get hold of the Diabetic nurses and she says they are going to give me metformin to take in the evenings with dinner to keep the sugars at bay overnight.

Hi Rosie,
Has your DN commented on you skipping breakfast ? It is about the most important meal of the day as you have had no food intake overnight.

Hi, Yes they have - Some of them don't like the idea, but the two main ones said it was okay- they want the diabetes to work around me, rather than me have to work around it. Im told I am to have metformin with dinner to help overnight.
I do know its really important, but it makes me feel like throwing up!

Your morning B/G reading after first awaking are certainly a matter of some concern as readings of 11-14 mmol/L are most certainly far too high and this need further investigation as to what is the principle cause.
Also as 'Alanp35' quite rightly says, you should never skip breakfas tfor as it's name says, it is 'Break Fast' meaning that it's the time to take in that first supply of daily nutrients, carbohydrates and energy for the start of the working day.

thank you, I have asked the nurses (see above) so will see what comes of it! :)

Hi Rosie, as others have commented, your morning readings are too high and need addressing. A lot of people get slightly higher readings first thing due to liver dump but not as high as yours. I would keep a diary of readings and food for a week and speak to your DSN or post here for advice. Good luck. Mo

Thanks Mo, A very good idea. Will start doing a food diary again.

-- Thanks everyone for your help :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many health care professionals are not concerned with high readings such as yours but they are the ones who think diabetes is inevitably progressive and that it will get worse and there is nothing you can do about it. Even the 8 in 5 - 8 is too high. You should aim at being below 6.

Now, not everyone can achieve this by any means but simply saying aim at 5 - 8 but don't worry if, as I was told, you get a few readings around 15 is ridiculous. Everyone should be encouraged to aim to get as close to normal levels as possible and the closer you get to normal levels, the lower the risk of complications and the lower the chances of having to go onto stronger medication. Try your best.

Reactions: 2 people

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
Your blood sugars sound pretty unstable and too high. As a type 2, the best way to lower them is to lower your intake of carbohydrate (starches and sugars). This will not only lower your bg but reduce the surges and swings that produce hypos. Your present diet of high carb, low fat is making things worse for you. Have you seen the introductory post yet? Someone should post it soon. In the meantime, have a look at the above link to a description of a low carb high fat (LCHF) diet that many of us have found helpful.