Lost my apertite

jessica16

Hi everyone, I'm 16 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 five months ago. Recently in the last two weeks iv completely lost my apertite. The thought of food makes me feel sick! I have to eat something to keep my sugars up and I really don't want to :( I just hate the thought of food and even if I do eat it I don't enjoy it. Has anyone ever felt like this? And will it always be like this?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Why not find a treat, that you like and once you' eaten a couple of meals, breakfast, lunch, one day treat yourself then extend incl a light tea, do the same next day light lunch. & tea reward. And go from their, I can remember being told so much for breakfast,lunch,tea then snacks I was 10/11 at the time and couldn't do it, so.
I know what it is like. Also try the children's/ teen section, you may find someone feeling like you do, needing to talk??

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm old enough to be your grannie but the same happened to me in the first year of diagnosis. I couldn't stand the sight of food and when I was asked what I would like to eat my response was that I didn't fancy anything. It does get better though. I now eat flavoursome foods at every meal.

What foods did you like before you were diagnosed?

jessica16

Why not find a treat, that you like and once you' eaten a couple of meals, breakfast, lunch, one day treat yourself then extend incl a light tea, do the same next day light lunch. & tea reward. And go from their, I can remember being told so much for breakfast,lunch,tea then snacks I was 10/11 at the time and couldn't do it, so.
I know what it is like. Also try the children's/ teen section, you may find someone feeling like you do, needing to talk??

Thanks Julie I shall defiantly try this and yeah I'll post on there twoo and see if I get a response :)

jessica16

Hi,

I'm old enough to be your grannie but the same happened to me in the first year of diagnosis. I couldn't stand the sight of food and when I was asked what I would like to eat my response was that I didn't fancy anything. It does get better though. I now eat flavoursome foods at every meal.

What foods did you like before you were diagnosed?

Hi thank you for your comment, and I literally liked everything but I don't seem to want any thing :(

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I'm 16 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 five months ago. Recently in the last two weeks iv completely lost my apertite. The thought of food makes me feel sick! I have to eat something to keep my sugars up and I really don't want to :( I just hate the thought of food and even if I do eat it I don't enjoy it. Has anyone ever felt like this? And will it always be like this?

Absolutely, I've only been diagnosed 8 months myself and I'm finding myself having those same feelings. I'm pretty active and had always eaten just as I felt like it, weight stable etc, but now there's some element of compulsion associated with the insulin, and it's that that I don't like.

I'm finding myself eating more low or zero carb meals, and sometimes as you say missing meals. Last night I made a very nice lamb tagine, one of my favourites, but couldn't bring myself to eat it until about 10pm.

SO you're not alone, but you've come to a good place to be "weird", we're all weird here.

jessica16

Absolutely, I've only been diagnosed 8 months myself and I'm finding myself having those same feelings. I'm pretty active and had always eaten just as I felt like it, weight stable etc, but now there's some element of compulsion associated with the insulin, and it's that that I don't like.

I'm finding myself eating more low or zero carb meals, and sometimes as you say missing meals. Last night I made a very nice lamb tagine, one of my favourites, but couldn't bring myself to eat it until about 10pm.

SO you're not alone, but you've come to a good place to be "weird", we're all weird here.

Hi thank you for your comment! That's the same with me, I can't stand the meals I use to like the most:(

este

Hi, I was diagnosed when I was 7 and I'm 19 now, when I was about 12/13 I had the same thing, food just didn't appeal to me and the consultant thought it was a body image issue but I literally just couldn't stand the thought of food as I wasn't hungry. Once I realised I had to eat though I did slowly get my appetite back, although there wasn't a 'quick fix' or anything, but it did return in time. I found light snacks/meals that didn't fill me up much were good for when I wasn't hungry, like fruit.