What is it that would make diabetics happiest?

NovoRudolf

I am studying the area of diabetics, Dutch student, and would very much like to know what it is that most annoys you about having diabetes (especially the insulin treatments), and what would make your life better (apart from not having diabetes of course). Thanks!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Not having to think efore eating

NovoRudolf

Hi, thanks! From reading on forums I get the idea that it is all about food, understandably. Do basal insulines help you to think less before eating?

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
basal insulins make no difference to thinking before meals... becasue it's a basal insulin, not a bolus(meal) insulin.

Having to count carbs and assess everything that passes your lips for carbs and sugar get old very quickly.

Not having diabetes would make me happiest lol. If that's not an option then an artificial pancreas which is being developed by JDRF would be great.... or smart insulin (google it).

anything that takes away the stress and worry of diabetes would make us all happy i think!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Health professionals who listen to patients & learn from our experience, & don't just say, "It may work for you, but we can't recommend it..." When they learn that our reduced carb diet is an excellent way of controlling blood sugars, & reducing/reversing complications.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As Ian said, closed minds annoy me the most. What would make everyone's lives better would be a rational reassessment of dietary advice.

fergus

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Speaking on behalf of my child, i'm sure he would love a device that administers his insulin without the need to inject it through a needle, same for blood testing, he's fed up being a pin cushion. In his 3 yrs since being diagnosed (he's now 10yrs old) he has endured nearly 3 thousand injections and has to do this for the rest of his life, as do many other T1 diabetic children. I'm realistic i personally feel a cure is a long way off, but until it is found, medical research into aiding children more would definately get my thumbs up.
Suzi

Thirsty

I'd be happy if food manufacturers would stop adding such high levels of sugar to so many products; that would be good for everyone, not just diabetics.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would help a lot if media people would realise there are several types of diabetes and drop the idea that obese=diabetic and diabetic=obese.

increasingly cynical

If medics actually attempted on diagnosis to find the CAUSE of each person's 'diabetes' that would not jsut make people happy but also be a revolution in healthcare... diabetes (hyperglycaemia) is a symptom, not a disease... up to 50% of "diabetes" is currently reversible if the medics could be bothered... more if anyone actually looked for a non-standard cause!! An indictment of medicine at the very best... let's hope you aim to improve outcomes in your research not just to get a distinction! :twisted:

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Rudolf,

Please could you rustle us up a continuous glucose monitor which:

A) Doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

B) Actually works in real life.

That'd be grand.

Regards,
timo.

caitycakes1

Apart from the obvious one of not having it in the first place the best would be not to have to think about it all. Next best would be if this pesky disease would not change the goalposts all the time. It would be fab if all carbs affected everyone the same way so that if you wanted to eat something there was a set dose of insulin to cover the carbs which was the same for everyone. How much easier would that be?

Caitycakes x

howsitgoing

A pint of Banks's Bitter, it's a buster of a pint! a ploughman's lunch, a redhead with large...... eyes!!!!
To be able to eat three Easter eggs, the ones with the yolk in !!!! and not care about it.
It's simple little things that make me happy, and also not forgetting Gorgeous George my Bernese Mountain Dog! he is a cracker.

Dream on!

Type One Devil :twisted:

ChocFish

As a diabetic I am happiest when I hear that a previously struggling diabetic has finally managed to achieve good control over their bg levels and regained confidence and optimism; I know that this sounds very corny but having had some battles myself I really do mean that.

Lots of love everyone

Karen x

chocoholic

Certainly the stem cell research is probably our biggest hope for the future but I reckon it'll be a good 10 or 15 years before things are set in motion properly. It's just nice to know that these huge scientific steps are being taken.

I think, for me, if I could have 24 hours every now and then NOT having to think about diabetes, that would be lovely but I'd also happily settle for someone inventing a low-carb Danish Pastry!

Katharine

NovoRudolph,

My son Steven is type one and in the summer we are going a trip to Amsterdam. He will be 17 and his brother 14. Do you know any good places to visit that they may enjoy? ( Palazzo, Nemo, Vondelpark, Anne Frank Huis, are on the list). I understand that you can go to the seaside and other places from the central station. Any short trips that would be enjoyable?

What would be great:

A cure.
A preventative for his kids and brother (vitamin D looks best so far).
A loop system (artificial pancreas)
Painless yet accurate insulin administration device.
Clear carb labelling on foods (not fat or sugar or salt)

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Reading this made me happy.

Wynnewood, PA. January 27, 2009 - A study released today in Endocrine Practice (2008;14:1075), the leading peer-reviewed journal for practicing endocrinologists in the US and 65 countries, reports a ground breaking discovery with the potential to reverse type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Scientists at CureDM, Inc. have identified a 14-amino acid human peptide, Human proIslet Peptide(HIP), consisting of the bioactive region in the human REG3a gene responsible for regenerating pancreatic islets, a process also known as islet neogenesis. "Utilizing an innovative and proprietary approach to evaluate the human genome and proteome from a physiologic perspective, we were able to identify a highly conserved bioactive gene product that triggers islet neogenesis."

http://www.curedm.com/news/2009.01.27_curedm_press_release.pdf

(non-pdf)http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/136887.php