Adding Gliclazide - any dos and don'ts?

Babs22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I have been on Metformin twice a day for a couple of years and doc now wants to add 1 x 80mg Gliclazide in the morning. (My last HBa1c was 8 ) Reading the leaflet that comes with the meds there are quite a few possible side effects and warnings, no alcohol for one (v disappointing!) I know they have to be ultra cautious and list every possible side effect but wondered if I could tap into the experiennce on this forum for advice?

Thanks

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on Glic twice a day for two years and had no side effects. Then i found this forum and starting to low carb. My Hba1c reduced significantly as did my weight and blood pressure.

It was at this point that I started to experience 'hypos' due to my better control. GP took me off the Glic and problem was resolved. Now aiming to reduce my Metformin dosage after next review.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I believe it can cause an increased appetite in some people so it would be a good idea to keep an eye on your weight whilst on it.

mollycat1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
can`t think of any !
I believe it can cause an increased appetite in some people so it would be a good idea to keep an eye on your weight whilst on it.
yes - I `put on` 8lbs - in 6 months ! I seemed to be hungry most of the time and eating loads of carbs. too, just to `fill up` . Joined WW and lost 7lbs but but after reading all the good reports about the low carb regime on this website this week I have decided to try this - by bs are falling and I feel so much better - still having some alcohol too !

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was on 360mg/day Glic for many years before insulin. It caused me no side effects whatever and for most people it seems to be pretty safe. Glic is best suited to those who are not overweight and have failing islet cells as it stimulates the pancreas. If it works and you eat too many carbs you will put on weight. Equally if it works and you don't have enough carbs you might have hypos. If it works too well then you need a lower dose and vice versa. So, if overweight then reduce the carbs and see if you still need any Glic. Although the leaflet lists many side effects I suspect you will have no problem and I must admit I also had some alcohol with it!

Babs22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for your replies. I have already seen a difference in my numbers but as I have also taken myself in hand with regard to diet and exercise I'm not sure how much of an effect the Glic is having. Would it start to influence my BS figures straightaway? Also, is an intermittent throbbing headache common when first starting the Glic?