Lancet Confession

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've had a pack of stabbers containing 20 for 6 years... I'm still not halfway through them. There are 5 stabbers to a piece for the stabber, but I very rarely change .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh blimey I test 8 times a day and honestly dont click my stanber round to a new one more than 3 times in a year!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the accuchek fastclix and still find I'm only changing the lancet every week or so!
I have one of the Fasclix too and do multi pricks with each lancet - usually until I have to have several goes at drawing blood or it hurts too much - I keep to setting 2 rather than increasing the pressure. I've used one and a half of the little drums since I started testing mid January.

Robbity

DiaBethic95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just change mine every time I remember, which is probably every 3/4 days. I don't think I've ever made one blunt from using it too much! That sounds painful!!!!

My boyfriends dad uses his for months and months without changing it I think! Crazy!!!

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I will go months before changing the lancet – as a matter of fact, I prefer the lancet slightly blunt – easier to get the blood drop then.

The exception is that I will always change the lancet when testing the bg of another person (have occasionally found that they are interested in what I am doing and would like a check themselves … - never found any 'suspicious' numbers yet, though – good for them!)

annelise

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I will go months before changing the lancet – as a matter of fact, I prefer the lancet slightly blunt – easier to get the blood drop then.

The exception is that I will always change the lancet when testing the bg of another person (have occasionally found that they are interested in what I am doing and would like a check themselves … - never found any 'suspicious' numbers yet, though – good for them!)

annelise
I tested a load of my mates on a night out, the others were in the 5s, but one of them was in the 7s. We now call him "diabetic Daz"!

Reactions: 2 people

fkarno

I am getting pretty fed-up with this subject rearing its head time and time again. Everybody should be aware that you should never re-use lancets or needles, and bragging about re-using sharps is simply an admission of idiocy. It is nothing to be proud of, we do not think you are a hero, and all you are doing is wasting our time and confusing newly-diabetic readers.
Can the moderators please put an end to this nonsense and enforce a firm ban on this kind of posting?

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The exception is that I will always change the lancet when testing the bg of another person
Check the instructions that came with your meter but most lancing devices are designed to be used by a single person only.
I am getting pretty fed-up with this subject rearing its head time and time again. Everybody should be aware that you should never re-use lancets or needles, and bragging about re-using sharps is simply an admission of idiocy. It is nothing to be proud of, we do not think you are a hero, and all you are doing is wasting our time and confusing newly-diabetic readers.
Can the moderators please put an end to this nonsense and enforce a firm ban on this kind of posting?
The third post in this thread is by a mod so it's clear that the site encourages the reuse of lancets.

Reactions: 2 people

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely if you don't use a clean lancet every time you test the results will be incorrect because the lancet will be contaminated. So if you have a high reading then use the same lancet it will have traces if the High level blood on it from the previous test and vice versa.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, they leave fools alone. Malaria kills.

I'll take that comment as well meaning banter....

I was actually told by an Indian doctor while i was catching my girlfriends projectile vomit in a bin. That malaria can be treated..

Reactions: 4 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Once you know what the thread is about you don't have to read it.
Don't like what you read, read another one. Simple.

Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine every time I use a new lot of test strips.
I test about 8 times a day too :)

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l use mine till l ouch loud enough.

Pre t2 l never had any insect bites
just before t2 diagnosis durig last yr l am now a mass banquet for the little ******

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to change mine once it begins to hurt. I use the Accu-check FastClix and they tend to last months (I test only once or twice a day)
So a barrel of six lancets last me about a year.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Surely if you don't use a clean lancet every time you test the results will be incorrect because the lancet will be contaminated. So if you have a high reading then use the same lancet it will have traces if the High level blood on it from the previous test and vice versa.

I beg to disagree here. How would the tiny point of your lancet contaminate the (more or less liberal) blood drop which you add the the test strip?

I have never seen high or low readings being carried over to my next testing. My readings are mostly in agreement with what I would have expected from meals - with a few one-offs and inexplicable. And if they are wildly off from what I expect, I will rewash my hands and test again, and only then. (Some residue might have been left on the finger).

I measure to see trends - and to make decisions about the course to take if I see higher numbers than I wish to see..

But - what can one expect? - this is being diabetic ... - and sometimes it is difficult to understand what is happening ...

annelise