should you reuse pen needles

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Found this article about the risk involved in reusing pen needles - look at the words such as 'could' and 'may'.

The breaking of of parts of the tip seems to occur after 7 or more uses, according to this article.

In my opinion the article seems to substantiate the risk levels that the community clinic MDS conveyed to me - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/reusing-insulin-pen-needles.html

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Found this article about the risk involved in reusing pen needles - look at the words such as 'could' and 'may'.

The breaking of of parts of the tip seems to occur after 7 or more uses, according to this article.

In my opinion the article seems to substantiate the risk levels that the community clinic MDS conveyed to me - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/reusing-insulin-pen-needles.html

Well even though they are for single use you crack on being irresponsible and putting your health at risk. Please don't carry on with this thread as I hope the rest of the members are a lot more resposible than you are

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, Simvistatin.

Reactions: 2 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I hope the rest of the members are a lot more resposible than you are

You are really funny, and a wee bit judgmental, I am sure others can make up their own judgment on what is and what is not irresponsible.

Sent from Runner2009 Burt

Last edited by a moderator:

Travelling enthusiast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thanks for the article, its good. I will make a conscious effort to change needles more often. I still think it’s a personnel choice and everyone will find what works for them. I don’t think changing after every injection is necessary. But I’m going to try and do it every few days.

I guess for me part of this is also ethical, I know we get free health care here in the UK, buts it’s not an unlimited source of funds. So if my saving a few quid on needles pays for something else to get treatment for something else, I think that’s my decision to make.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There was a previous post on this topic with mixed replies. I use my 4mm fine needles each during one day which means 3 times for me. The risk of infection is near zero and the needles push out insulin with no problem on the 3rd use with no additional pain or bruising. The cost to the NHS of diabetes is staggering and I feel it's my way of doing a small bit to help as the needles do cost

Reactions: 5 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
My insurance will not pay for the pen nor pen type needles and a limited number of test strips per month. If it comes down to reusing the needles to purchase extra test strips that is what I'll do as the risk of infection is zero. As for breaking of the 4mm needle after 7 uses, my gf who is a surgeon laughed and said 'where is it going to go". We all have different levels of risk aversions and pragmatism - and sadly there is not endless resources on an individual and national level to support this disease

Sent from Runner2009 Burt

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
This is not advice, it is just what I do. But in fact in the States, where many diabetics have difficulty affording diabetic medicine and supplies reusing needles ( not sharing them ) is common practice

If you talk with the MDs that work at the free community clinic there they come from a very pragmatic and practical viewpoint that the risk are minimal if non existent especially when compared to skipping your insulin because you can't afford the supplies

Infection wise I suspect the risks are quite low as I did once reuse needles, however to minimise injection site problems and discomfort it's best to change the needle every-time, also I believe the insulin is delivered much better when a new needle is applied.

Just my thoughts and each to their own, if someone wants to reuse needles or change them each time then that is their choice.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well even though they are for single use you crack on being irresponsible and putting your health at risk. Please don't carry on with this thread as I hope the rest of the members are a lot more resposible than you are

What's your evidence base for frightening people? This forum is supposed to be a place where we can review evidence and experience and not just slam people down with the "party line" they have already heard from GPs, the NHS, DUK and the manufacturers.

I'm betting you have no evidence of any safety issues apart from those obviously faked photos of damaged "reused" needles.

This guy Traveller came on here to share experience and participate in an open discussion. He or she posted reasonably but got slammed down and chased off the site. It's terrible behaviour. This is not how you build a community. If you think someone is wrong, the right thing to do is cite evidence, not harass and attack them. :-(

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thank you Runner for at least posting evidence. It is a shame that article has no references. The only studies it's quoting show no risks other than pain. If it hurts, change the needle. As the hyperlipotrophy study isn't even named it's hard to know how seriously to take that. As far as I know the primary cause of hyperlipotrophy is due to delivering insulin into the skin, which is the actual designed function of an insulin pen - "working as designed". Site rotation is very important in avoiding this. Did the study (if there was one) control for site rotation? Did it control for frequency of injection (perhaps frequent injectors are more likely to reuse needles)? Well we don't know, because the hyperlipotrophy study isn't even named, let alone referenced.

I am not complaining about runner2009 at all - again, thank you very much for at least posting something that examines the claims.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its not, some people use longer 12mm needles, others shorter which some pens do cover, others not.
I have 12mm needles (I use them for the occasional intramuscular injection) and they come with covers. In fact I have never seen a pen needle or syringe needle that didn't come with a cover. The only needles I have ever seen that don't have a cap or a cover are some introducer needles for canulas on pumps and CGMs.

The point of the needle cap is to keep it safe prior to first use, and during disposal. It's not a question of whether it's designed for reuse or not. Clearly the manufacturer does not intend it for reuse. Equally clearly, the cap/cover does assist with reuse.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Those are the same old pictures I was referring to and they are obviously fake. Whatever the needle on the right was pushed through 8 times, it wasn't human skin. That level of damage would be visible to the naked eye, you wouldn't need a microscope. It simply doesn't happen like that. Whoever created those images - they are all over the Internet but what's the actual source? - has an agenda.

Nor would micrographs of the needles actually matter. Pictures are emotive. There are all kinds of things that look horrible under a microscope that are totally harmless. What would matter would [be] studies actually showing harm from needle reuse. I am interested in finding the hyperlipotrophy study implied in the DCUK article that runner2009 linked. But the staph study shows no harm. The pain study just means, stop when it hurts, or stop before it usually hurts, depending how pain averse you are.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have 12mm needles (I use them for the occasional intramuscular injection) and they come with covers. In fact I have never seen a pen needle or syringe needle that didn't come with a cover. The only needles I have ever seen that don't have a cap or a cover are some introducer needles for canulas on pumps and CGMs.

The point of the needle cap is to keep it safe prior to first use, and during disposal. It's not a question of whether it's designed for reuse or not. Clearly the manufacturer does not intend it for reuse. Equally clearly, the cap/cover does assist with reuse.

Yes, the actual needles come with covers for safety issues. What I had responded to was the bit that said the actual insulin pen caps could be replaced with the needle still on the pen, not all can.

iHs

From a medical point of view, re using a pen needle or lancet would not be advised but, theres not too many medical people who use insulin every day and multiple times at that or prick thdir finger for blood umpteen times either. If re using a needle and lancet makes diabetes less invasive in someones life, then so be it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Those are the same old pictures I was referring to and they are obviously fake. Whatever the needle on the right was pushed through 8 times, it wasn't human skin. That level of damage would be visible to the naked eye, you wouldn't need a microscope. It simply doesn't happen like that. Whoever created those images - they are all over the Internet but what's the actual source? - has an agenda.

I don't believe the pictures are fake or that the source has an agenda, I know if I reuse a needle now I can feel the difference in comfort as the needle penetrates the skin.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't believe the pictures are fake or that the source has an agenda, I know if I reuse a needle now I can feel the difference in comfort as the needle penetrates the skin.
I know what you mean, there is sometimes a 'catch' or it feels rough. Like with pain, I would always change the needle at that point. But seriously, changing needles once per cartridge, so 20-40 injections per cartridge, over nearly 20 years, I've never had a problem with infection or hyperlipotrophy. I would say it's less than one time in four that I even need to change the needle before the cartridge is done (due to feeling pain or roughness).

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And again, I am not advocating or advising anyone to do what I did. What I am trying to do is bring some evidence into the discussion, in this case the evidence of my own experience. What I don't think should happen is people creating fears without backing it up with some kind of evidence.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I know what you mean, there is sometimes a 'catch' or it feels rough. Like with pain, I would always change the needle at that point. But seriously, changing needles once per cartridge, so 20-40 injections per cartridge, over nearly 20 years, I've never had a problem with infection or hyperlipotrophy. I would say it's less than one time in four that I even need to change the needle before the cartridge is done (due to feeling pain or roughness).

I never really felt any great discomfort when reusing needles except when I first started off using glass syringes and we had those needles (that looked like knitting needles) and we were told to reuse them time and time again. However what I'm saying is, once you do begin to change the needle after every injection you do notice the difference when you forget to change the needle, that is why I suspect those needle pics using a microscope are probably a true reflection of what a reused needle looks like.

As said earlier, it's up to the individual what they want to do with regards to changing needles.