Feeling Angry and Frustrated

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just had a massive argument with my parents about my weight and recent blood sugars after i had a blood sugar reading on 2.3 almost an hour ago and had 2 weetabix and a cup of coffee with a teaspoon of sugar to treat the hypo to 6.2. My blood sugar readings this past week have been between 2.3 and 6.7 and the HCA that i saw on wednesday said that they are really good, but i need to cut down on the fatty foods. My blood pressure has dropped down from 136/76 2 months ago to 106/76, but my weight has gone up to 154kg / 24 stone and my parents believe that my low blood sugars are due to me not doing enough exercise and they are considering surgery for me to lose weight.

I am now really frustrated about everything as my parents only seem to care about my weight whereas my gp only seems to care about my blood sugars. I am thinking of giving up or reducing my medication until i see the diabetic nurse on friday, when hopefully they will get the results back from my blood test. and to discuss reducing my medication or prescribing me on victoza

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Parents. Food. Weight. Love. Food. Diabetes.

It's a nightmare.

I've been there, done that, had the 'we're only telling you this because we love you' and the 'it hurts me so much to see you wasting your life' conversations...

And I'm afraid that I can't offer you any advice whatsoever. Every family is utterly unique, so anything I say that was relevant to mine, won't be relevant to you.

In my case, I moved 200 miles away (therefore only had to deal with the guilt trips on holidays and visits) and stuck it out for 20 years. At that point, I recieved a diagnosis of such awesome hormonal chaos (due to a benign tumour, and dating back 20+ years) that I was able to shut the nonsense down completely. Mind you, visits are still difficult, because their diet and mine are not very compatible.

See? Told you my solution wouldn't work for you.

But there IS an answer - you just have to keep looking.

P.S. There is NO WAY that your parents should be 'considering surgery' on YOUR body, unless it is what you want.

Reactions: 8 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You don't say what medication you are on? Can you let us know as it is likely your be the medication that is causing your hypos. Don't worry about fats but do worry about the carbs. To reduce weight you must keep the carbs down BUT you need to understand your medication first to determine what is causing the hypos. It would be very unusual for some other medical condition to be causing low blood sugar but it is always possible.

Reactions: 2 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You don't say what medication you are on? Can you let us know as it is likely your be the medication that is causing your hypos. Don't worry about fats but do worry about the carbs. To reduce weight you must keep the carbs down BUT you need to understand your medication first to determine what is causing the hypos. It would be very unusual for some other medical condition to be causing low blood sugar but it is always possible.

I'm on 2000 mg Metformin, 320 mg Gliclazide and 10 mg Ramipril. a day. When I wake up to have breakfast my BS levels are now between 3 and 4 and I have a bowl of coco pops to raise my BS, but after 2 hours they are back down and today I've had a bowl of coco pops for breakfast, for lunch 2 Weetabix biscuits, for dinner Sirloin Steak with avocado and tomato mix with deep fried chips. For snacks throughout a day a Twirl bar, a Wispa bar, and 6 cups of coffee with one teaspoon of sugar. Every time that I have tested today my BS levels have been below 5.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Discuss with your diabetic team, seems like you need a reduction on meds, as , you are having alot of carbs (sugar) to treat hypos (under 4) which will not help weight gain, Keep a detailed diary of your readings to show your care professionals, go from there hopefully things wil improve

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can have hypos on gliclacide, I was told that, that's why the dn gave me a monitor and told me that if/when I was put on it I would need to test before I drove and then every 2 hours. Could this be causing your hypos?

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It appears you are definitely on too much medication - readings of below 4 are not good - regardless of what the HCA has said. BUT I would not just stop taking it however I think the 320 mg Gliclazide is too much and should definitely be reduced.

There is no point in treating your hypos with sugary foods - cut out the chocolate bars for sure - that will just have the effect of increasing your weight. I was told the hypos could in fact increase your weight due to the extra food you eat because hypos make you hungry - not sure how true that is. I use Gluco Juice or Gluco Tabs depending on how bad my hypo is.

Do you have a calorie controlled diet? Are you doing any exercise? There are great apps out there - myfitnesspal to help with tracking.

Weight loss surgery is not for everybody and should only be as a last resort - and it would be up to you and not your parents. I don't see the point in it until you have your medications/diabetes under control, and right now they are not.

How do things stand now?

Reactions: 4 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It appears you are definitely on too much medication - readings of below 4 are not good - regardless of what the HCA has said. BUT I would not just stop taking it however I think the 320 mg Gliclazide is too much and should definitely be reduced.

There is no point in treating your hypos with sugary foods - cut out the chocolate bars for sure - that will just have the effect of increasing your weight. I was told the hypos could in fact increase your weight due to the extra food you eat because hypos make you hungry - not sure how true that is. I use Gluco Juice or Gluco Tabs depending on how bad my hypo is.

Do you have a calorie controlled diet? Are you doing any exercise? There are great apps out there - myfitnesspal to help with tracking.

Weight loss surgery is not for everybody and should only be as a last resort - and it would be up to you and not your parents. I don't see the point in it until you have your medications/diabetes under control, and right now they are not.

How do things stand now?

Well I've just had 2 cups of coffee both with 2 teaspoons of sugar in it to treat a hypo of 1.8 and since last night, I've been hearing strange noises coming from my gut. Tomorrow I am going for a fasting blood test, and on Friday appointment with diabetic nurse. My parents are only concerned with me now that my BMI has reached 50. I do not have a calorie controlled diet and with regards to exercise I do 30 minutes walk everyday with the dog and errands for my parents to get them wine, fags, and biscuits or chocolate bars. What drinks should I take to treat my hypo's as I do not want to put on anymore weight.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 4 people

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
1.8 - jeez that is really low :-( Can you contact your Dr's surgery by phone today? Do you have a number for your DSN? I'm not saying you should stop your meds, but something is definitely wrong and you need to do something today and not wait till you see your Nurse on Friday.

You are in a vicious cycle at the moment - the meds are giving you hypos - to treat the hypos you are eating pure sugar - your gaining weight and your hunger is probably out of control.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/how-to/treat-a-hypo.html

You need to get some gluco tabs or gluco juice - but the more of this product you have - the more likely are to gain even more weight.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetic-products/glucotabs.html
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/shop/productdetails.aspx?pid=441696

Sounds like you are going through a very bad patch and I feel for you - I have been there - but as soon as you sort everything above out you will start to feel better.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You could reconsider you diet. I fail to see the point in eating all that sugar and starch in order to counteract too much meds. Talk to you Dr about what you eat and the medication you are on. If you did some changes in what you eat you might both loose weight and be able to come off some of your meds.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/category/weight-loss/weight-loss-stories
http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes

I cannot reconsider my diet as my father is a stubborn old man and says that eating fat makes you fat and carbs can be burned off. He cannot be reasoned with and he is heading on the route to diabetes as he will starve himself all day at work until the evening, surviving on tea with sugar until he has his evening meal, then snacks on a lot of junk food and blames his weight on eating too much fat.

I've already talked to the doctor about my diet and she said to reduce the intake of fatty foods. Also I have asked about joining a gym as the only way that I actually do exercise is with someone else and whenever I exercise with my family they keep on saying that I'm doing it wrong or to keep up and everytime I finish exercising or just before my right nostril starts to bleed and when they see it, they think that the nosebleed is an excuse out of doing exercise.

1.8 - jeez that is really low :-( Can you contact your Dr's surgery by phone today? Do you have a number for your DSN? I'm not saying you should stop your meds, but something is definitely wrong and you need to do something today and not wait till you see your Nurse on Friday.

You are in a vicious cycle at the moment - the meds are giving you hypos - to treat the hypos you are eating pure sugar - your gaining weight and your hunger is probably out of control.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/how-to/treat-a-hypo.html

You need to get some gluco tabs or gluco juice - but the more of this product you have - the more likely are to gain even more weight.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetic-products/glucotabs.html
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/shop/productdetails.aspx?pid=441696

Sounds like you are going through a very bad patch and I feel for you - I have been there - but as soon as you sort everything above out you will start to feel better.

I have tried to contact the Dr's surgery and the receptionists just shut me off. My DSN is on holiday and is unavailable for another week. For the past 2 days I have been treating my hypo's with 1 Fruit Ryvita and a cup of coffee with 1 teanspoon of sugar and this combination has helped to stabilise my BS to a reasonable level.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But you are not a baby, right? You decide for yourself what to put in your mouth, right? It is your body, your decision, your diabetes, your health, your future.

Reactions: 6 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
But you are not a baby, right? You decide for yourself what to put in your mouth, right? It is your body, your decision, your diabetes, your health, your future.

Yes I do decide what I eat and drink, but until I get employed and earn some money, I won't be able to do low carb diet and atm I've started to snack out of boredom throughout the day as it is just me in the house alone 8 hours a day. My family do eat meals that are generally meat based, and this evening they went meat shopping and bought home £80 worth of meat that includes; chicken, sirloin steak, sausages, bacon, gammon, duck, beef,and lamb.http://www.waynewalker.co.uk/pricelist

On another topic, I get to see the DSN tomorrow and discuss reducing my medication or switching gliclazides with Victoza. I'm also going to ask her about volunteering for clinical research on Type 2 and also about cauterising my nose as I've suffered from 4 nosebleeds in 2 days in the same nostril and talk about weight loss surgery as option to reduce my weight.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Weighloss surgery will not be done until you can prove commitment... And changing foods etc again.. If you can't persuade your family that they need to change because of your diabetes which can give **** awful complications... How on earth do you intend toget them to help you with weightloss surgery and the differencesin foods and eating that will be expected.

Your diabetes needs your family to understand how you need to change your diet... Otherwise you will struggle to get weight loss surgery...

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Akindrat18

From your posts it seems like you are really troubled at the moment.

T2 diabetes, BMI50, 25 stones, right? No job, bored, and family giving you grief? Not getting the medical support you need?

Not sure how old you are, but as someone else has mentioned, your body, your life. O.k., so everything and everyone is against you? WRONG! There is plenty of support on this site. Other people have felt as desolate, and I think lonely and defeated as you. Those that are successful at not letting diabetes get to them are those that take responsibility for their own health. There is help out there, but YOU have to go and find it, it will not find you.

Find an exercise programme, there are lots of health related programmes for obese people. (Having been as big as you, I found water based exercise best). Now I know that takes courage, but after the first time you don't care if people are looking at you. It won't be an issue if you find a group with similar weight problems. Find a group you can relate to, maybe find some friends and support. There are NHS referral programmes, all sorts out there, but you need to go and find them. If weight loss surgery is right for you then do not hesitate to ask the DSN but do not think it will solve all the emotional problems. You need to be kind to yourself and trust in yourself to find a happier way of life.

You can help yourself, please do.

Best of luck

Pipp

Reactions: 7 people

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
akindrat18 a few of us are going to do a challenge of 30minutes exercise for 42 days starting 19th May. You can choose which exercise you wish to do , its about moving and gettting into good habits.
It can be walking, running, swimming, cycljng, dancing around your bedroom in your pjs or anything you want as long as you move for 30 minutes .Please feel free to join us.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
akindrat18 a few of us are going to do a challenge of 30minutes exercise for 42 days starting 19th May. You can choose which exercise you wish to do , its about moving and gettting into good habits.
It can be walking, running, swimming, cycljng, dancing around your bedroom in your pjs or anything you want as long as you move for 30 minutes .Please feel free to join us.

Yes akindrat18

You have already mentioned that you spend about 30 minutes a day walking the dog, errands for parents etc. so it seems you are already in on Jamrox's challenge.
I think we are meant to report back to forum, not sure which thread. Jamrox can you confirm?

Akindrat18, keep posting and reading forum. Virtual friends on here really can help.

Pipp

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Exercise Challenge from 19th May post.
Please don't feel you have to post on there if you don't want to. Its very informal and personal to you.

volorg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dessicated coconut
Hi there akindrat. I really feel for you as it sounds like no one is really listening to you, including your health care professionals.

I just wanted to share my experience of Gliclazide. I was on a much smaller dose than you and experienced a hypo everyday. Like you I ended up eating chocolate bars and fizzy pop to bring my sugars up. I gained a lot of weight as well. I read an article that suggested Gliclazide caused weight gain and, as an obese diabetic, decided it was islly to take a medication that was making me fatter and making me feel ill. I stopped without informing my doctor and over a couple of months lost 21lbs, mainly because I was eating less rubbish to avoid hypos. My BS readings improved too. When I told my Doctor he told me that the medication only made you put on 7lbs and he asked me to start taking it again. This was after he had weighed me and noted my excellent weight loss!

I wish you all the luck in the world with dealing with your family and health care peeps.

Let us know how you get on.

x

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the support. I've just spoken with my doctor for the first time and she is referring me to a lifestyle programme, reduced my gliclazide to 160mg from 320mg and still on Metformin 200mg and Ramipril 10mg, my Hba1c was 68 mmol still high but came down from 117mmol, my blood pressure is 126/80. My doctor understood my situation with my weight, diet, parents, unemployment and and she feels like that I am in a right difficult place.

Thanks Jamrox, I am glad to join. I won't be cycling as I cannot ride a bike or swimming unless I get a job, but I will be able to do the rest as I aim to walk to my voluntary work place and back, walk my dog everyday and with my family out at work I will be doing some severe moshing to rock and metal music.