Insulin
Don't be afraid to vary your dose for activity, stress, illness etc

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
going to break the rules of the game here.
Here's a quote from Dr Sheri Colberg which includes many of the points people have already mentioned
“The keys to longevity with T1 are the same as they are for everyone: keep moving; Exercise regularly and be active all day long, eat a healthy diet with lots of fiber and minimally processed foods, keep your insulin needs low, manage your stress, and keep a positive attitude towards life.”

Reactions: 12 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a quote from Dr Sheri Colberg which includes many of the points people have already mentioned
“The keys to longevity with T1 are the same as they are for everyone: keep moving; Exercise regularly and be active all day long, eat a healthy diet with lots of fiber and minimally processed foods, keep your insulin needs low, manage your stress, and keep a positive attitude towards life.”
I should be all right today then.

Jumbo oat porridge and berries for breakfast
Mushroom omlette on toast and an apple for lunch
Stir fried veggies and roast fish for dinner.
Nuts and cheese for snacks
And just one little fig roll pre run.
Under 100g carbs all in all

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Good advice :)

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
They basically have said them all... Put ur fast acting 20 mins before meals; try to replace common carbs with grains (oats) and if u do so drink a lot of water; write down all ur measurements with the insulin doses and the food eaten; if u go out for several hours make sure to take those glucose tablets.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Agree !! I am doing a lot of these except probably stress and being active all day as sat either in an office or a car, my DSN said I'm in one of the worst jobs for a type 1 - Sales, and sadly I'm inclined to agree but don't have an option and have to work..

H

Hooked

I like this. Sums it up well.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Make sure you give diabetes enough priority (if you're like me and try to live like, "Who, me?")

DIDO44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK so my last HbA1c has gone up, rather than re-read Dr Bernstein, take another DAFNE, or just get down about it.. can everyone post 1 rule that helps them manage their diabetes and gives them better BG control ?

No repeating, just one rule each for better management please !

Thanks folks ;)
Type 1 for 13 months. inject Humulin M3 mornings and evenings only.
Carb counting in ratio with insulin works for me. After a while I calculated about 7 carbs per unit of insulin was about right, more if exercising.
Example inject 18 units need 18 mutiplied by 7 = 126 carbs. I was always one for formulas.

simonkit

Carb counting is a MUST.. helped me quickly come to terms with the diagnosis 18months ago at the age of 46.... the Aviva Accuchek Expert monitor is a great help too

Simon

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes - i've been on a low carb for a while now, it does generally help in the daytime but the evenings are hit and miss and i tend to eat around 8pm and go to bed at 10 - so if I havent taken the right amount of SA insulin with supper I only find out in the morning, I also struggle with the aspect of not eating carbs as I find I still convert this to glucose so if eating a protein only meal with some salad I will still take a couple of shots of insulin but still wake around 11-14, which makes me wonder if i'm hypo-ing during the night, unfortunately my DSN is on long term sick (too many patients - stress related) so not getting any guidance on this at the moment. Any advice appreciated.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes - i've been on a low carb for a while now, it does generally help in the daytime but the evenings are hit and miss and i tend to eat around 8pm and go to bed at 10 - so if I havent taken the right amount of SA insulin with supper I only find out in the morning, I also struggle with the aspect of not eating carbs as I find I still convert this to glucose so if eating a protein only meal with some salad I will still take a couple of shots of insulin but still wake around 11-14, which makes me wonder if i'm hypo-ing during the night, unfortunately my DSN is on long term sick (too many patients - stress related) so not getting any guidance on this at the moment. Any advice appreciated.

Obviously the first thing to check is your basal insulin, if your insulin dose is too low you will inevitably go high overnight. However I would say it's just the slow breakdown of your food from your previous meal, as you quite rightly say protein breaks down to glucose by around 50-60% but over a longer period of time, so if your bg readings are fine at bedtime (2 hours after eating) then high the following morning then this may explain things.

Another possibility could be the fat in your meal if it's on the high side, this can cause insulin resistance in type 1's:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/810.full