Eat Butter

Saber

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cucumber
I love butter. My weakness. I would eat a tiny amount of butter to avoid margarine but I do not know when to stop. I just love the taste.:D

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do and always have done! :p It was one of the things I was ready to make a stand on when my diabetes nurse was giving me my initial (eat all the wrong things) dietary advice, but we never got to the point where it might have become an issue! I've never understood why anyone would voluntarily eat marge, though my husband was brought up on it.

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never taken to marge. It's known in our house as 'cart axle grease'. Well, that is what I call it. My husband, who was brought up on cheap marge and masses of white bread, use to roll his eyes - until I showed him an article about how they make the stuff. Since then, it's been spreadable butter all the way...

Thanks for the links, Indy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love butter but was brought up on margarine -due to the advice in the 60s when my dad had a heart attack, and was told not to eat butter, eggs, high fat food etc.

I've been buying butter for quite a while now, and enjoying it so much.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was brought up on butter. In the local shop (where have they gone) there was always a mound of it - it was called tub butter. You asked for how ever much you wanted and it was cut off the slab and wrapped in greaseproof. Mum always had a stash of Lurpak in the fridge (untouchable). But my butter of choice is President. I don't know how marg can even go near anyone's mouth.

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
From the first line of the hopefulgeranium blog:

"The lipid hypothesis, as evry fule kno ..."

Nice to see there are still some Molesworth fans out there ...

K

Kat100

Yes I remember the butter in greased-proof paper , I was very small :) :rolleyes: Real shops in those days with real service .....:arghh:
Now I am an olive oil girl ...!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
we always had margarine at home, i assume it must have been cheaper than butter

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes I remember the butter in greased-proof paper , I was very small :) :rolleyes: Real shops in those days with real service .....:arghh:
Now I am an olive oil girl ...!

I'm afraid to say I remember those days to :(

I've not read the item about butter but is like everything else, everything in moderation. I like butter on toast, when making scrambled eggs or when eating carrot & turnip mash on a Sunday, apart from that I don't use it for anything else.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I was very small too :angelic: t'was the days when you walked everywhere.
Actually I'm only 59 now.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I remember the butter mountain when all the hype came out to say marg is better......

Love butter but always unsalted for years.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've actually never used margarine or spread since about the 1970s (before that lots of people ate marg , though we had butter at home . Like almost always everyone we used margarine for baking cakes and pastries) I still use it for some things but don't put anything on bread and use mostly use olive oil. One often reads that the French use lots of butter, well not here it seems, the butter /spread section in the supermarket is very small, the oil section is quite large.

It will be interesting to read the article, the only report I can see that mentions what it contains says that it refers to the Chowdhury study .
That has been a very controversial study (it had to be corrected, some have called for it's retraction and one of the researchers said they couldn't support all of it's conclusions. We will undoubtedly find out.

K

Kat100

I'm afraid to say I remember those days to :(

I've not read the item about butter but is like everything else, everything in moderation. I like butter on toast, when making scrambled eggs or when eating carrot & turnip mash on a Sunday, apart from that I don't use it for anything else.
Hello nobblehead, I love all those foods you have just mentioned, feeling in need of a bite to eat now ....:hungry: Buttered toast ....yummie
I do have toast sometimes , I like a bit of melted cheese on it .....and as for that mash .....yum...
I am everything in moderation ...And I like that .....
Yes those were the days of good neighbours and community sprit .and no,frozen or ready made meals! ....I am a young 1960's type of girl .....:cat:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello nobblehead, I love all those foods you have just mentioned, feeling in need of a bite to eat now ....:hungry: Buttered toast ....yummie
I do have toast sometimes , I like a bit of melted cheese on it .....and as for that mash .....yum...
I am everything in moderation ...And I like that .....
Yes those were the days of good neighbours and community sprit .and no,frozen or ready made meals! ....I am a young 1960's type of girl .....:cat:

The cheese on the toast has to have a splash of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce on top before grilling :D

As you say Kat, happy days in some ways but not others.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually I think the newly published book The Big Fat Surprise was greater news and if could afford I've love to send a copy to every so called expert writing food guidelines.:rolleyes:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh stork margarine for cooking- those were the days... My mum never had and still doesnt - anything but stork... But always butter for eating..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App