Enjoy diabetes t-shirt... offended or not?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
So I use this site to buy a LOT of t-shirts, but then I saw this one and thought HMMMM.... what does everyone think?

http://www.redbubble.com/people/rossman72/works/8855401-enjoy-diabetes

fig,red,mens,ffffff.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Different, I think I would wear it without a problem

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not offended but certainly wouldn't want to wear one.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think they could have been a little more original .. And the db colour is blue ?

Reactions: 2 people
G

graj0

So I use this site to buy a LOT of t-shirts, but then I saw this one and thought HMMMM.... what does everyone think?

http://www.redbubble.com/people/rossman72/works/8855401-enjoy-diabetes

fig,red,mens,ffffff.jpg
You can't trademark the word diabetes because it describes a condition. LOL Very nerdy, sorry. Just a bit weird for my liking, I certainly don't understand the meaning, but it takes all sorts. I guess there comes a point when a T-shirt with an affliction on it becomes intolerable or tasteless. It could of course just be a sign of my advancing years. LOL Roll on pension time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I like it, it reminds me of coke adverts and colourings, and I find it quite amusing because of that

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I quite like it, but I wouldn't wear one because I would be tempted to drink diet coke/coke again. I would smile if I saw someone else wear one though.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's an anti-coke statement, inferring that sugary drinks cause diabetes

Reactions: 11 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
I think it's an anti-coke statement, inferring that sugary drinks cause diabetes

Thanks Jack, couldn't understand the implication there for a moment but that makes complete sense. :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Quite a clever design to be honest but not my colour :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
No, that colour definitely wouldn't match your eyes mo lol

Reactions: 2 people

chatterton

If it was in blue and came in type1 I would wear one,But I Would not want it to be sponsored.As corporations ONLY think of the profit side and not the long term effect their products can cause.I have a type1 tattoo and Love to make awareness to the public

lucyturniptree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I don't like beetroot or celery- URGGH
I wouldn't say that it offends me, but I think it reinforces a negative stereotype- that drinking sugary coke causes diabetes.
I have seen non diabetic people (friends at a BBQ, not random stranger in street) wearing it before and had a long conversation about it. They said they were wearing it because it was funny because "you know, because of the fatties!!"
I don't see the problem with wearing a top saying you have diabetes or raising awareness, but this particular one is just taking the p*** and being quite ignorant about the real facts.
Rant over!

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
, it
I wouldn't say that it offends me, but I think it reinforces a negative stereotype- that drinking sugary coke causes diabetes.
I have seen non diabetic people (friends at a BBQ, not random stranger in street) wearing it before and had a long conversation about it. They said they were wearing it because it was funny because "you know, because of the fatties!!"
I don't see the problem with wearing a top saying you have diabetes or raising awareness, but this particular one is just taking the p*** and being quite ignorant about the real facts.
Rant over!

I wouldn't wear it myself, not offended though but the slogan reinforces the idea that all diabetes is 'caused' by lifestyle which isn't true..
I did think once of buying a running top that said running on insulin.
There are those though that that think that the increased consumption of sugary drinks has played quite a big part in the rise of T2.
This coke advert parody says exactly that. It's a very clever way of warning against over consumption. ( don't watch if you worry about complications . I feel very sorry for Mr Bear)
http://www.therealbears.org/

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

love the bear vid.. My wife's quietly humming the "sugar sugar tune" as I'm typing this.. Lol

I'm not really offended by the D tee.. I think it satirises the "evil corporation" that peddles an addictive substance which has no dietary benefits whatsoever..... But the "humour" of the shirt is lazy in respect of misconception & ignorance which is still widely acknowledged as the cause of diabetes in general, partly due to the "Family Guy" gags.... I feel this design still subtly reinforces this...

I've certainly dealt with Coke "reps" in the past & found them insidiously aggressive regarding the product they represent & it's placement on the display shelfs.......

Puts me in mind of this classic which pushes a similar message...

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Nicko2K

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't like these things. Just further promotes the idea that sugar causes diabetes with the link to sugary drinks. Sick of hearing it as is!