Need advance on juicing for type 1

sabinuk

Hello everyone! I'm type 1 and wanting to try juicing for better health, but finding challenging to keep sugars under control with certain fruits and veggies combinations. Is there anybody trying this? I would like to know best recipes for type 1 and how frequent is good to have it. Thank you!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know a mum of a T1 who threw her juicer away because of spikes, it seems the fiber is important to slow digestion

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fruit juice is a recommended treatment for hypos - so I'd say stick to salad / vegetable juices if you must.

Even better would be to eat the fruit/veg/salad in its entirety... lots of goodness in the bits the juicer throws away.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fruit juice is very fast acting and full of (natural) sugar, so it will spike you BG like crazy. Like the above guys said - you're better off eating a whole fruit, the fibre will slow down the spiking.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I sometimes have home made smoothies.. Just to get additional fat in me.

I chuck in anything I got. Plums not too good though as I forgot they have stony hard centres!!

I always add full fat plain yogurt and full fat milk to mine, sometimes for example just have 12 strawberries and 2 kiwi fruit between two big glasses... But mine is purely to get some fat addedto my food... And I don't spike as my pump is set presty **** good...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mosschops

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sabinuk

High fiber food is good for diabetes. By juicing these, you are are getting rid of the fiber and in turn, reducing the benefits to yourself as a diabetic.

Reactions: 2 people

Paul J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
all the things i should have.....well some anyway
eat the fruit, avoid the juice, same with veggies, fibre is good for you in its natural unmolested state

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
We have to get away from processed foods!

humaject

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT ALOT
One of the best fruits to juice is a lemon i juice it with 1/2 a glass of no added sugar ribbena with 1/2 teaspoon of tumeric powder.Check out the ingredientst on the internet.Nothing better for you

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
... whilst I was honeymooning I did a seven day green juice and green smoothie detox. Bearing in mind I wasn't yet on insulin; my numbers went quite a bit higher for three days, then dropped significantly. I think I would be pretty wary of doing it now I'm on insulin as I think the drop after three days would be too much.

Whilst it was good to cleanse and my skin eyes etc did look amazing; it was pretty tough - I repeated it a second time for 5 days in an attempt to lower my blood sugars (still honeymooning but pre-insulin) - it did work but it felt gruelling to my system the second time and I vowed never to put myself through that again... thats possibly because I was near the end of my honeymoon though and my system was just overwhelmed with trying to cope in general...?

Anyway - if you do it - I researched *a lot* - and everything I read said to do smoothie's not juicing as even green juices are too tough for our non-pancreatic systems due to the lack of fibre... so that would be my advice. And good luck! :) x

michvb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even pure green juices spike BG as no fibre however you can juice then blend in an avocado which has both fibre and fat to slow the sugar release. hope that's helpful.:)