Diet

happy girl 1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi I have been reading about vegan diets, can anyone please help me and give me some idea
On what I should buy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some people report success with Dr N Barnard's vegan diet . There have been some published trials of it for diabetes.
There are quite a few details and recipes on his website.
http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes-resources/
His views are undoubtedly controversial ;because it's the polar opposite of a low carb diet, it is high but low GI carb/ very high fibre and very low fat, the author is also somewhat political and he uses the term 'reverse diabetes' in his book.

purplekat

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, X Factor (and all similar shows), soaps (corrie, east enders etc), hot weather
Thanks for linking Catherinecherub. The vegan recipes are mixed in with the vegetarian ones currently, so you'd need to look for them. I'm also not sure how easy it would be to veganise a lot of the cheese based recipes, having never used vegan 'cheese' but the recipes may give you ideas.

C

chris lowe

I have used vegetarian cheese (surprising how many restaurants insist a dish is vegetarian when it got ordinary cheese in it) and I found it a bit rubbery as opposed to the crumbly texture you can get with "normal" cheddar. I'm not vegan/vegetarian but have friends who are so I make dishes for them when they visit. To be honest, I find a full vegan diet terribly limiting (no dairy, no ordinary cheese, no eggs etc) but if you are doing it for ethical reasons like my friends, then I make an effort to find something suitable and hopefully tasty for them to eat.