Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dear All,

This forum never has been and never will be solely for the purpose of 'promoting' a low-carb diet regime for all people with diabetes. This is the single most divisive topic faced by the forum. Through near constant communication with both 'sides' of the debate, I have come to a conclusion.

All of the people arguing are people with diabetes. There are no sides. Those who do not agree, either because of their personal opinion or the specifics of their condition, should not be judged. This is equally as much their forum, as it is a forum for those who choose a low-carb diet.

I will add a new sub-forum for those who do not low-carb. I then want this issue contained within these two forums. Those who low-carb and wish to seek advice go to the one, those who do not and disagree go to the other. This needs to be eradicated from the forum, because the polarisation and grouping of people into 'camps' because they agree or disagree is immature, offensive and expressly against why we maintain this service.

Therefore, if you are seeking diet advice or posting a topic on this subject, please use one of the two forums. Before you wade into an argument, give yourself five minutes, and remember that everyone comes here either to be helped or help. Please, on behalf of all newcomers and a great many existing members, let us make this a debate (preferably a radical one that achieves results) and not a shooting match.

Best regards,

The Diabetes.co.uk Team

wallycorker

Administrator said:
I will add a new sub-forum for those who do not low-carb. I then want this issue contained within these two forums. Those who low-carb and wish to seek advice go to the one, those who do not and disagree go to the other.

........and where do people like me go that are somewhere in between? :wink:

chocoholic

I guess, as an in-betweeny too, that is my question. Sorry,I'm really not not trying to be awkward but I try to cut down on carbs. but don't consider myself a full-blown low-carber.
I like to try and be supportive to any poster, be they low-carb or high carb and I can see what you are trying to do (and I do appreciate being a mod. is a pretty thankless task) but which bit would you prefer me in?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
There is no in between!If you are not low carb then post in the other one.Simple.

chocoholic

According to the table that Katherine and Fergus put on here, Sue, I'm a 'liberal low-carber', so I sort of assumed I was an in-betweeny. I'm really not trying to be awkward.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There are those who are learning about the respective issues and those who are yet to form a clear perspective, and even those whose condition forces them in one direction despite their sentiments. There will never be two clear camps in a community this size and an issue this diverse.

The attempt is really to try and diffuse the controversy surrounding the issue. I anticipate that those in-between the two perspectives will be less controversial. I think reading around the issue in detail, not being swayed by anyone, dipping into both forums and taking what you need is the best plan for in-betweeners. Hope that helps.

Nobody controls this forum - the whole point is for it to be a community for people with diabetes. It is not, and will not, be run by low-carbers or equally by those who disagree with low-carbing. Anyone who is attempting to polarise the membership along these lines needs to take a long, hard look at themselves and their motives.

999sugarbabe

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and everyone should respect that right to an opinion. This does not mean you have to agree or disagree, just accept that people are all different. What works for one may not work for another.

I can only speak for myself, and I hold NO fixed views on the whole debate of diets! My G.P. and nurse advocate one type of diet, many sources of information recommend another. :?

I originally came to this site specifically because I was confused (being newly diagnosed at the time), largely by the contradictory information I was getting elsewhere. All I seem to get now is even MORE confused due to this on-going squabbling!

It pains me to see so much in-fighting on the whole subject of diets. WHY do people, who basically share the same condition, need to react to others in such a destructive way?
This website is for EVERYONE, regardless of which diet they choose to follow. Some seem determined to spoil the website for the rest of us who don't have such fanatical beliefs!

I intend sticking to MY diet, the "A little of what you fancy does you good" diet; But I shall not be shouting in from the rooftops and fighting with anyone who doesn't agree with me. :wink:

So please, let's move on and just HELP ONE ANOTHER to deal with our diabetes. :roll:

Maybe, just maybe, I am one of the (normally) silent MAJORITY?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
999sugarbabe said:
Maybe, just maybe, I am one of the (normally) silent MAJORITY? (unquote)

I think you may just be right there. We all need to work together for each other.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Sugarbabe,

Once you've posted, you're no longer in the silent majority. :shock:

It's never easy, is it. :D

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This website is for EVERYONE, regardless of which diet they choose to follow.

Silent, but extremely sensible. Hear, hear.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Whatever my beliefs, I wouldn't want to take over anything( except our local PCT perhaps)

Trinkwasser

Administrator said:
Nobody controls this forum - the whole point is for it to be a community for people with diabetes. It is not, and will not, be run by low-carbers or equally by those who disagree with low-carbing. Anyone who is attempting to polarise the membership along these lines needs to take a long, hard look at themselves and their motives.

I agree with that, except for one thing: eating more carbs usually doesn't work whereas eating fewer carbs usually does.

For that reason I push TESTING so you can work things out for yourself.

So does that mean that posting a protocol such as this

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -test.html

or a referral to a site like this

http://www.dsolve.com/

is now by definition off topic?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I do not see these links as off topic as they are helpful to the membership in making up there own minds about just how they control their diabetes.No one forces them either to read the links or follow the advice given therein.

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
Sue, does this mean that those of us who do not low carb can post links/recipes for food/bread that we like eating?

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This isn't the place to argue the mechanics and further inflame the debate. As trink said, the key is to read all advice, review and test.

This thread is not about what you can and cannot post, it is about the structure of the forum for ongoing stability and maximum helpfulness.

EricD

Dislikes
Bullies and sockpuppets. Not being able to eat I want.
Administrator said:
This isn't the place to argue the mechanics and further inflame the debate. As trink said, the key is to read all advice, review and test.

This thread is not about what you can and cannot post, it is about the structure of the forum for ongoing stability and maximum helpfulness.

I am not arguing or trying to imflame anything Admin. I am trying to find out if, when you add the new sub-forum for non-low carbers, we are allowed to post links that we want.

I too agree with TW that testing is the key and my question isn't too far off his question, just in the opposite direction which I personally, and probably others too, would like to know if we will be allowed to post links and recipes that are not low carbs. Knowing what we can and can not post will save us from going against forum rules in the first place.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Eric,if the links that you post are of help/info to other diabetics then ,yes they are allowed.As you point out not all diabetics follow a very low carb diet so I'm sure recipe suggestions will be useful to some of the members.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Eric.

Just a rider to what Sue and Admin have said. It is not necessary to post large photos of favourite foods on the board either. A link to the pics will suffice.

Ken.