Do you ever think how your life would have turned out if you didnt have type 1 diabetes

dan12321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you think you would be more confident as the worries of diabetes throughout the years definitely dent it, or do you think you wouldnt appreciate life as much? would you have made different choices in life if you wasnt a type 1?

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't think diabetes has ever effected my confidence and if anything it has maybe strengthened it, but I believe that life is what you make of it and you have to accept things for what they are otherwise you will sink into a big hole of despair.

Really can't think of anything I might have done different if it wasn't for diabetes, might have to come back to that one.

Reactions: 12 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Don't think diabetes has ever effected my confidence and if anything it has maybe strengthened it, but I believe that life is what you make of it and you have to accept things for what they are otherwise you will sink into a big hole of despair.

Really can't think of anything I might have done different if it wasn't for diabetes, might have to come back to that one.

I wouldn't have looked after myself so much. Personally I think I wouldn't have given so much time to voluntary work or and wouldnt have been so understanding of other people.

I think I would have done things differently but I really don't think they would have been better choices...

Confidence wise.. I probably have too much confidence, but probably lesser self esteem or self worth than I should have.

Reactions: 12 people

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It does effect lifestyle but confidence has remained the same.

I like to think that maybe I would have gone travelling at one time, but probably not. Pressure of earning a living made me blinkered, not being diabetic. All too easy to use it as an excuse.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Do you think you would be more confident as the worries of diabetes throughout the years definitely dent it, or do you think you wouldnt appreciate life as much? would you have made different choices in life if you wasnt a type 1?
I have always done in life what I wanted to do. Only difference between me and someone without diabetes is that I carry a meter and some glucose tabs in my pocket. As Noblehead says life is what you make of it :)
From teenage years onwards if diagnosed I can understand the mental struggle of a new routine and the over active imagination plus the needless horror stories fed to you. Even though it's a strange thing to say I'm glad I was diagnosed as a young child (4 1/2) so allegedly grew up with it, just starting year 50 on insulin now and thankful for the life insulin has given me.

Reactions: 14 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I've only been diagnosed 3 years now, but it has affected me and I think that because I didn't get it as a youngster.

I evaluate everything now, so plan ahead, where I'm going to be at what time and for how long, what food am I going to eat etc. I also get into an odd state now when I meet new people as I worry about having a hypo in front of them, so for instance on Tues I had work men coming round and as I had to explain a lot of information and there were 2 of them I got a bit paranoid that I was going to have a hypo and possibly embarrass myself in front of them, I worry about hypo-ing a lot too. Also a friend recently suggested about doing a trip to the Amazon and my immediate thought was I cant go cause I've got this, I still don't feel I could go even with some after thought. The only positive is that I do more for others now as I don't accept things at face value.

Ok I eat better food now too and look after myself more but it has definitely changed my outlook.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I
I evaluate everything now, so plan ahead, where I'm going to be at what time and for how long, what food am I going to eat etc. I also get into an odd state now when I meet new people as I worry about having a hypo in front of them, so for instance on Tues I had work men coming round and as I had to explain a lot of information and there were 2 of them I got a bit paranoid that I was going to have a hypo and possibly embarrass myself in front of them, I worry about hypo-ing a lot too. Also a friend recently suggested about doing a trip to the Amazon and my immediate thought was I cant go cause I've got this, I still don't feel I could go even with some after thought. .

I find that stress increases my BS, not the big stresses in life but the little things, So if I have a meeting such as you'res, I feel like I may hypo but actually BS goes up.
I remember a trip to London, shouldn't have been stressful but I hate getting in and out (driving). My BS was sky high all day despite taking enough insulin to fell an ox!

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've not changed anything due to my diabetes. The ONLY instance where it has affected my activities was on honeymoon in Zanzibar - my friends had organised a scuba diving session as a surprise but I couldn't take it up due to not having a doctor's letter.

Other than that, I've never thought "wish I wasn't diabetic so I can do that"

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the main difference is that once I was aware of being diabetic, unlike most of the population, I was aware of my mortality. It was in my hands.

Has it made a difference as to how to live my life? Probably, yes. I have definitely taken more calculated risks than I perhaps would have done. It has changed my perception of risk. Did it affect my ability to allow others in and cede control to them? It did that too. They had to pass a higher level of "test" that I could trust them to deal with me when I wasn't at my best.

Has it affected my confidence? No, not at all. Do I worry about my diabetes? No. Does it frustrate me? Occasionally. But so do many other things in life.

Reactions: 6 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was only diagnosed in August but it's changed mine for the best...if I can say that o_O

Since then it's basically forced me to mature a little after university, no drinking, structured eating style etc

Made me more aware of what I'm doing/eating and apart from the hypo moments I feel healthier than before

Reactions: 9 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
After 25 years, I really don't think it has changed me ? I look basically the same (people have recognised me from school years or neighbours who moved away many years ago). I do exactly the same as I have always done, still very active and still looking after my elderly dad and my darling teenager <3 :)

I hope I continue in the same way for many more to come years:D

Best wishes RRB

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I probably would not have met my wife. In hindsight our meeting was extremely, extremely unlikely. We took different courses at university, and our lectures were at opposite ends of campus. If I was not diabetic, I would have taken different actions, at different times. I probably would have filled out my application for student housing at a different time. I probably would have ended up with different flat mates. Seeing as I met my wife because we were flat mates in my first year of university, that idea is unacceptable to me.

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only been diagnosed 3 years now, but it has affected me and I think that because I didn't get it as a youngster.

I evaluate everything now, so plan ahead, where I'm going to be at what time and for how long, what food am I going to eat etc. I also get into an odd state now when I meet new people as I worry about having a hypo in front of them, so for instance on Tues I had work men coming round and as I had to explain a lot of information and there were 2 of them I got a bit paranoid that I was going to have a hypo and possibly embarrass myself in front of them, I worry about hypo-ing a lot too. Also a friend recently suggested about doing a trip to the Amazon and my immediate thought was I cant go cause I've got this, I still don't feel I could go even with some after thought. The only positive is that I do more for others now as I don't accept things at face value.

Ok I eat better food now too and look after myself more but it has definitely changed my outlook.
the Constant planning and thinking ahead is what i find most tiring, i havnt felt truely relaxed in years

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think I would of been much different, my lifestyle choices may have been different because I would have been able to eat/drink more freely whereas with diabetes I have to be a bit more cautious which I don't think is a bad thing. It wouldn't have affected my confidence really, I'm not confident as it is but that's not because of diabetes.

monkehwife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I don't think my life would be any different (obviously apart from all the medication and appointments). Diabetes hasn't really changed me, I can still do everything I used to do before diagnosis. It hasn't prevented me from doing anything with my babies or stopped me doing anything my friends or other parents do.
In some ways it has improved my health, I pay much more attention to my body, lost over 8 stone in less than 12 months (weight I couldn't shift for years), drink less alcohol and my regular health checks mean I am in much better health now than I was before diagnosis

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't have looked after myself so much. Personally I think I wouldn't have given so much time to voluntary work or and wouldnt have been so understanding of other people.

I think I would have done things differently but I really don't think they would have been better choices...

Confidence wise.. I probably have too much confidence, but probably lesser self esteem or self worth than I should have.
the same...totally agree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My life was perfect. Now it's ruined

Please don't feel this way, I know and many others know how hard it is, try and be strong in mind and body and don't let it consume you. It can be so difficult coping with type 1, (especially as a younger person) and you may feel there is no light at the end of the tunnel,but..................... I had my beautiful teenager at nearly 43 years old and I am truly blessed to have someone who lights up my life and makes me glad I'm alive and here to enjoy every moment. I wish that for you one day.

'What lies behind us and what lies before us, is nothing compared to what lies within us'

Take care RRB

Reactions: 4 people