Milk?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Run out of cream bung a spoonful of butter in your coffee.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up milk earlier in January and started drinking my coffee black. I saw a simultaneous improvement in my BS levels and they really settled down.

The problem I see with milk in drinks is you're having them all day so you're constantly putting carbs into your system rather than just at mealtimes :)

My wife is low carbing to lose weight (she isn't diabetic) and she was a bit shocked to know how much carbs there were in milk as she can have half a dozen large mugs of tea with milk a day. I love my tea and coffee milk-free but do like hot chocolate drinks with milk - and milkshakes, because you can no longer taste the milk.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have drunk black coffee for years and have recently started to drink green tea which I dont put milk in but it has nothing to do with carbs.

11 fl oz of milk contains 11g of carbs I would think that when I used to drink tea with milk I would use probably only 1 fl oz of milk which would be 1.4g carbs.

I cant imagine being worried about 1 or 2grams of carbs I would think the stress of the worry about it would raise bg levels more than the milk ;)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
My wife is low carbing to lose weight (she isn't diabetic) and she was a bit shocked to know how much carbs there were in milk as she can have half a dozen large mugs of tea with milk a day. I love my tea and coffee milk-free but do like hot chocolate drinks with milk - and milkshakes, because you can no longer taste the milk.
See if she can take to green tea with a squirt of lemon.

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
See if she can take to green tea with a squirt of lemon.

She has restricted herself to 1 cuppa in the morning and the rest of the day drinks green tea or earl grey without milk (she feels she needs the caffein).

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have drunk black coffee for years and have recently started to drink green tea which I dont put milk in but it has nothing to do with carbs.

11 fl oz of milk contains 11g of carbs I would think that when I used to drink tea with milk I would use probably only 1 fl oz of milk which would be 1.4g carbs.

I cant imagine being worried about 1 or 2grams of carbs I would think the stress of the worry about it would raise bg levels more than the milk ;)

We estimated that my wife was putting 30-40ml of milk in her tea (she uses a large mug) and that could amount to nearly 200ml per day. When you are trying to limit your carbs to under 30g a day the milk in her tea would have represented a quarter of her allowable carbs. Despite low-carbing for several weeks she found weight loss was very slow and she didn't get the energy boost she experienced when doing the Atkins diet years ago. So we started a food diary and calculated all the fats, protein and carbs in what she was eating and clearly she was consuming too many carbs to achieve consistent ketosis. We've adjusted her diet and that includes limiting the milky tea and guess what - she's lost 2 pounds in five days and feels much better.

Reactions: 4 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
We estimated that my wife was putting 30-40ml of milk in her tea (she uses a large mug) and that could amount to nearly 200ml per day. When you are trying to limit your carbs to under 30g a day the milk in her tea would have represented a quarter of her allowable carbs. Despite low-carbing for several weeks she found weight loss was very slow and she didn't get the energy boost she experienced when doing the Atkins diet years ago. So we started a food diary and calculated all the fats, protein and carbs in what she was eating and clearly she was consuming too many carbs to achieve consistent ketosis. We've adjusted her diet and that includes limiting the milky tea and guess what - she's lost 2 pounds in five days and feels much better.

30mL is 1 fl oz or there abouts and I was merely stating that I personally would not want to be constantly worrying about 1 or 2 grams of carbs, what others do is entirely up to them.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I'm a tea junky and now I'm home all day I drink the stuff none stop.
How many cups?
No idea.

Reactions: 2 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
30mL is 1 fl oz or there abouts and I was merely stating that I personally would not want to be constantly worrying about 1 or 2 grams of carbs, what others do is entirely up to them.

Wasn't criticism, just explanation.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whats lemon and ginger tea like, im guessing low carb? May help me kick all the milk..

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
At this point I think I'm probably going to have to make my own. Here is my proposed recipe (for approx one day's supply).

- One heaped (or two level) desert spoon(s) of unsweetened whey protein.
- 300 mL water
- 300 mL regular milk
- 100 mL cream.

I'm going to mix that up tomorrow and see how it tastes. I've just got to buy the whey protein, so I'll update here after I've tested it. :)
Ok, unfortunately I've got to report a fail on my low carb milk. I went to buy the unsweetened whey powder today and *everything* they had was sweetened. I ended up buying some "body builder" brand, and though it is low carb, it's so sickly sweet with some artificially sweetener that I absolutely hate it. :(

Oh well, I think I'll just stick with natural milk and just not have too much. I'm not having any in tea or coffee (mostly drinking peppermint tea these days), so I think I can fit a glass or sometimes two and still stay in my carb target. My carb target is not as strict as some here. I'm targeting about 10% to 15% of my daily calorie intake, so about 55 to 80 grams.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Whats lemon and ginger tea like, im guessing low carb? May help me kick all the milk..
Yea, most tea is basically zero carbs until you add something else to it.

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Uh, and on this occasion he was mistaken.

I like him because he knows what he is on about and sticks to his guns, unlike you. why was he wrong? if you understood the OP you'd see he was answering correctly. I'd prefer if you left me out of your commenting. Go harass someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like him because he knows what he is on about and sticks to his guns, unlike you. why was he wrong? if you understood the OP you'd see he was answering correctly. Numpty, I'd prefer if you left me out of your commenting. Go harass someone else.

Quite right, I got it wrong, the question was not about how much carbs in milk - and you get my wholehearted apology. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite right, I got it wrong, the question was not about how much carbs in milk
Yep, it was just a simple misunderstanding on your part. Don't worry though, I don't think anyone else is getting bent out of shape over it. :)

Reactions: 2 people

maryjey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish I was that brave! Cant even hack cream at the moment!!
You should really try it. I don't like coffee with cream either (much better with milk). Since I gave up milk I've been drinking my coffee with a tablespoon of butter and a teaspoon of coconut oil. It's delicious! You must blend it well first of course - it becomes creamy and doesn't taste oily or greasy - honestly! I use a stick immersion blender - just 30 seconds and it's done. You can leave out coconut oil if you don't like it or don't have any. I tried making tea this way - it's quite good but I don't drink tea with milk anyway so I don't know how it compares.

Lexa_x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will give it a shot on Saturday and keep you posted! Im quite scared lol