Reduced carb Quiche

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
T1 husband is still off work and driving me dotty at home. He'll be going back in a couple of weeks after the eye surgeon gives him the "All Clear". Today, I was struggling up the near vertical hill at Hartslock Nature reserve( wonderful show of orchids :D at the top so well worth it)
When the mobile in my pocket buzzed for a message. T1 asking if quiche and salad would do for lunch.[the man is obsessed by meal planning] I just texted back "OK", because I was not too bothered at that point. That hill is STEEP!
Salad is not a problem , but the pastry on the quiche probably accounts for the17.7 carbs per portion.
I love quiche, but I'm not going to eat 17.7carbs at one meal[and what about the carbs in the lettuce and tomatoes?] I formulated and carried out a cunning plan. I summoned my 3 Italian Greyhounds, removed the crust and shared it between them. Happy IGs, Happy me I don't know what the final carb count waas of my lunch, but it was definitely "reduced":lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hana.

You said:
I love quiche, but I'm not going to eat 17.7carbs at one meal[and what about the carbs in the lettuce and tomatoes?] I formulated and carried out a cunning plan

How much Lettuce do you actually eat at one sitting ?? :shock:

30g of Lettuce = 0.5 carbs. You would need a bucket of the stuff to have much effect.
6 Cherry Toms = 5 carbs.

Ken. :D

sandiegirl

Hi Hana,
That did make me chuckle, and hubby was probably none the wiser!!!
I always feel very left out when people bring cakes etc into the office - since low carbing I dont eat anything like that anymore, but joy of joys, someone today bought in a home made baked raspberry cheesecake!!! So like you, I cut the biscuit bottom off and just had the cheese part - and it was delicious! And my colleague was very happy as he got double the amount of the biscuit base!!
A good day here in sunny London!!!
Take care,
Sandie

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Sandie
Husband is a 35 year veteran of T1 and I've only just managed to convince him that reducing his carbs is a good thing and that it's the advice from the diabetologist over those 35 years which is responsible for his retinopathy, kidney disease,Charcot feet and gastroparesis. All those are now stable, but I do have to keep reminding him of those carbs. He saw the IGs feasting on quich crust.
I'm glad you enjoyed oyour cheesecake.
In social situations, I'm quite likely to have just a tiny sliver of "treats". After all 20% of a 1cm slice isn't much carb.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Ken
I love lettuce and can easily eat a whole iceberg at a sitting

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hana.

How long are your ears ? :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Ken
they don't stick out above my hair :lol:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
hanadr said:
Ken
they don't stick out above my hair :lol:
Don't you mean "fur" :?:

People now expect me to reject the pastry. Particularly those who knew how I was a year ago with diabetic muscle pains.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its a good job Hana isn't a rabbit, most info on feeding rabbits warn against iceberg lettuce. It has almost no nutritional value (not even much fibre).
Darker coloured leaves are much better.
How about dandelion, sorrel, or even good king henry leaves (aka wild spinach) gathered on the walk .

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I don't like dark leaves as much, particularly Lollo Rosso or Radichio. I can tolerate spinach. I don't like bitter flavours. YUP! not even BEER!!!! (T1 was once a brewmaster and has a degree in brewing)