Here comes Summer let's stay active.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
10k steps a day is impressive! Glad everyone thinks gardening counts as exercise. I need to order a load of top soil and compost for newly made very large veg bed. I'm fairly convinced that delivery will only be to the front pavement so I'll have to shift it somehow round the back. Will borrow neighbour's wheel barrow but not sure how to get it up the steps! Ha ha, will this count as my 30 mins of exercise for the next 2 weeks?!

Holy smoke! I should say so! Careful with your back though @Mongolia, you don't want to put yourself out of action for the rest of the summer! - best to be planting up a new bed, not lying in one!;)

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weather too foul to try any outdoor exercise. Another day of pottering and stair stepping for me.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, done my 30 mins of Wii stepping this morning too. Thinking maybe I should get a pedometer too @Bebo321. Do you have one you would recommend?

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yup, done my 30 mins of Wii stepping this morning too. Thinking maybe I should get a pedometer too @Bebo321. Do you have one you would recommend?

I use an activity tracker - the Garmin Vivofit, but there are loads out there on the market. It really depends on how whizzy or basic you want it to be - you could get a pedometer very cheaply, or you could get one that tracks activity down to your sleep patterns.
I tend to use mine to keep tabs on how active I have been during the day - so generally just the number of steps, though it also tracks calories burned based on my height/weight etc. It also has red bars that come up if I've been sat on my bottom for too long!
I found this review of some of the kit on the market at the moment: http://www.wareable.com/fitness-trackers/the-best-fitness-tracker Really it's just a case of working out what you think would suit you the best. I personally would highly recommend one. I didn't think I would get a great deal of use out of a tracker but thought I would try one out. I love it now and would hate to be without it!:)

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys! Remember me? Yep the one who really doesn't like exercise, lol. Can I re-join you please? My weight loss has been stuck for some time. I am trying to have less than 30g carbs a day. Yes, I have failed with this sometimes - I can stick at any diet when it keeps working, I struggle when I see no results for weeks on end.

I walked for 2 hours 28 minutes on Saturday (7.6 miles) but really need to keep doing something daily now. As some of you know consistency isn't my strong point. :rolleyes:

So starting today, I (grudgingly) walked for half an hour. Help me stick with it please guys.

Anyone seen Pedro?

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys! Remember me? Yep the one who really doesn't like exercise, lol. Can I re-join you please? My weight loss has been stuck for some time. I am trying to have less than 30g carbs a day. Yes, I have failed with this sometimes - I can stick at any diet when it keeps working, I struggle when I see no results for weeks on end.

I walked for 2 hours 28 minutes on Saturday (7.6 miles) but really need to keep doing something daily now. As some of you know consistency isn't my strong point. :rolleyes:

So starting today, I (grudgingly) walked for half an hour. Help me stick with it please guys.

Anyone seen Pedro?

I always admired the way you walked early in the mornings. Quite envious of those solitary walks, really.
If Pedro wants to hide, then leave him at home.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not able to get to pool. Exercises today are strength stretches and lunges and a bit of stepping.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love gardening but it has been brainstorming!
CAROL

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it more beneficial to exercise before or after eating, or does it make no difference?

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use an activity tracker - the Garmin Vivofit, but there are loads out there on the market. It really depends on how whizzy or basic you want it to be - you could get a pedometer very cheaply, or you could get one that tracks activity down to your sleep patterns.
I tend to use mine to keep tabs on how active I have been during the day - so generally just the number of steps, though it also tracks calories burned based on my height/weight etc. It also has red bars that come up if I've been sat on my bottom for too long!
I found this review of some of the kit on the market at the moment: http://www.wareable.com/fitness-trackers/the-best-fitness-tracker Really it's just a case of working out what you think would suit you the best. I personally would highly recommend one. I didn't think I would get a great deal of use out of a tracker but thought I would try one out. I love it now and would hate to be without it!:)
Very helpful, thank you.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, since I joined this thread I came down with a bug that necessitated a lot of napping and very little activity. I would have thought it was just a reaction to the exercise (I am very unfit and have not been moving for many months), but my OH suffered the same, and he is normally fit and healthy.

In the meantime I ordered some exercise DVDs and today I did about 20 minutes with dumbbells and body weight. Feeling good!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's amazing how long a programme EastEnders is when you are stepping whilst watching it!

Reactions: 9 people

Des Gray

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Yes Mongolia....2000 square meters (Kiama AUS)

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
2014 I got around the Manchester Marathon slowly after injuring myself in training for and being stupid and not resting. A friend who is a sports therapist un-knotted me enough to get around. Then I did something really stupid and instead of letting my body recover I went and did a speed session and did some serious damage to my groin area to such an extent that getting out of bed or standing up was an interesting experience. I was still getting out for gentle jogs, walks and swims but my fitness went down the pan. Coming up to Christmas everything seemed to have recovered and the new year saw me back on it.

Stupid gene kicked in again and now it's back to running up to 40 miles a week (slower than before so I don't damage my bits again!) prepping to run the Yorkshire Marathon in October.

A few years ago I was 5 stone past a BMI of 25 and struggling to walk up a slight hill so even last years relative (for me) inactivity was a huge improvement.

Keep at it, it helps. It doesn't have to be anywhere near as extreme as this just what you can manage.

Don't expect too much at first it takes time.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doctor's note from me. About a week out of it I think.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
20 + 30 minutes walking, the latter whilst carrying a heavy coat (it was cold in the morning, and gloriously sunny at 2 pm), which was for some reason more difficult than wearing it!