10 days taking metformin

sputnick007

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's now 10 days since taking metformin just 500mg in morning for now and due to increase to twice a day next week.I'm still getting lower go problems but not too bad,will it get worse again when I iincrease the dose.
As I only get a blood test every 6 months Im concerned to know when there is any improvement in BG levels. diabetes nurse said I do not need to test

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hello Sputnick007
Looks like you have already realised that without testing you have no idea what difference your meds or diet changed are making to your glucose levels.
It seems that your nurse is more concerned about their budget than your health. If she had T2, she would be testing!!
I know of a few T2s not on insulin who have been given a meter and a prescription for strips, but most of us have to purchase our own meter and strips. Quite a few members use the sd codefree meter because the strips are cheaper than most others.
If you need a link to where you can get one and some discount codes for the strips, let me know and I'll dig it out for you.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Different people have different reactions to different doses of metformin, so you'll have to find out for yourself what happens when you up your dose. If your "lower go" problems are toilet related and do continue when you go onto a higher dose of metformin then ask/demand(!) to be put on the slow release (SR) version, which generally helps clear up any upset stomach or diarrhoea issues.

And definitely consider getting a meter (SD Codefree as suggested) as doing your own testing really ought to be an essential part of our personal diabetes management.

Robbity

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Despite the NHS saying you don't need to test - you do. Get hold of a meter and check 2 hours after some meals to see what foods affect you and by how much. Plain Metformin often causes bowel problems during the first 2-3 weeks. Some find it continues. The Slow Release (SR) version is much better but costs more. If the problem doesn't clear ask the GP to change the prescription.

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I agree def need a meter to check levels otherwise you are in the dark all the time and will never know what makes your levels rise and what foods are alright to eat :watching:

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
The GP has just uped my metformin to 4 tabs a day as yet apart from bad wind I have had no side affects , but you will need to test and the sooner the better . Keep us posted JJ

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The nurse I saw gave me the standard line that I don't need to test as I am "borderline" think that is the equivalent of being a little bit pregnant.

Anyway I have chosen to ignore the advice and find out what is good for me or not (having also decided to ignore the eatwell plate) and cut my carbs.

Just waiting for my sd code free to be delivered then it's time to get this under control.

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi, my doctor also told me that I didn't need to test but my argument was how am I supposed to know if I'm eating correctly and if the metformin is working. Thankfully he gave in and yesterday agreed to giving me a new meter and prescription for testing strips. I don't understand why they say not to monitor. It's ludicrous.

Good luck with everything. I'm also newly diagnosed (type 2) my doctor hasn't really helped at all. But I've found so much information here and everyone has been lovely.

Busy1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would urge people to buy a meter. I was Borderline for years. I didn't test after a while and wasn't aware that my readings had gone up considerably. When I had a recent blood test my levels were sky high. I wasn't even feeling too bad. I just had a very dry mouth and looking back I was probably visiting the loo more often than normal.

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I must be very lucky, I've now got 2 monitors - one from the hospital and another from the diabetic nurse at the surgery! I told her I already had one, but she just said 'these are the ones we use', also got 50 strips and lancets.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
you can get free meters from advertisements on the net ....I think we all need meters to keep an eye on our levels so we knwo what we doing right and what foods is not good for us ;)