Reactive Hypoglycaemia

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not too familiar with the process of hypos. Only recently did I understand that hypos are caused by the composition of the previous meal. I thought it had to do with not eating enough and not frequently enough. How does one make sure there is enough glucose waiting in the liver?

You need to make a mental shift, and 180 degree change in thinking.

Preventing RH hypos is not about glucose, eating carbs and maintaining sufficient glycogen stores. That is a red herring.

Instead, it is about avoiding carbs, glucose and high blood sugars.

By eating low carb (ketogenically, if possible) then the body magically switches from burning glucose as fuel, and starts burning fat as a fuel source. Either dietary or body fat.

Since running on fat as a fuel does not drive glucose up, or down, bg levels stay comparatively constant, no glucose highs, and therefore, no glucose lows.

Have a read about ketogenic diets and ketoadaptation.
People in ketosis dont get the same kind of hypos as glucose burners do. They are milder, gentler, slower, with less angst and aggro.

The reason glycogen stores deplete on a low carb diet is because they are not needed.
It is very liberating.

Reactions: 9 people

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Brunneria that explains it beautifully.
I've been low carbing for 2 weeks. Even though I've felt spins on the upper and lower levels my blood sugar is between 4.5 and 8 I've lost half a stone and not hypo'd.
Weird thing is my dr will see normal blood test results taken at home lol.
I had chest pains the other day called out the dr who asked me if I was diabetic, I explained no but possibly rh trying to explain the lows and highs but he just said but you're not diabetic. Not sure if medically that makes a difference?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh but you are diabetic! (Lol!)

Do you have something like my avatar, that is a medical necklace, informing any care giver, what I have and a card in my wallet saying no glucose!

If you have a smart phone, you can have a message on that, if you want to explain it more fully.

If your doctor notices normal bloods on your food diary explain why it is not going high or low!
And use the idiots guide to RH. And tell him you are allergic to carbs!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure you're not diabetic? (Ha!)

Reactions: 2 people

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lol.
That remains to be seen. I'm probably t2 by now but nowhere near range for t1.
No don't have anything like that. Waiting for diagnosis.
I will put something on my phone though. It'll be on my tombstone lol.

freshlybrewed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sensory overloading
People in ketosis dont get the same kind of hypos as glucose burners do.

Those "glucose burners".... :D

Do you have something like my avatar, that is a medical necklace, informing any care giver, what I have and a card in my wallet saying no glucose!

Yeah the last thing you'd want if they admitted you into hospital unconscious is a glucose drip or what ever they do.
I think I'd be more upset that they dropped me out of Ketosis than anything.

What words do you put on a tag or band?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As in my avatar, ' Reactive Hypoglycaemia'
On my Information card, no glucose, no glucagon, no carbs.
My endos name and number.
My wife's name and number,
And details of address etc.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi guys,
I am fairly sure in the last two years my post prandial insulin is peaking earlier and hence shortly after the post prandial peak glucose at +1hr. Then b.g. drops rapidly. Why should this problem become more acute hence causing hypos after carbs?
regards
Derek

Last edited by a moderator:

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @nosher8355 got my letter from the diabetes clinic appointment next Thursday great but the letter says its for lipid management! I have a fasting test for my glucose, lipids hba1c and others. my own levels at home have been in range for a month.
I also had an ecg yesterday for my chest pain i had a couple of weeks ago and it showed something so need more tests for that.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Wendolph,

Google the NICE guidelines on lipid management and cvd information.
I think you will find that the concern is your heart rather than your blood glucose problems.
You will probably have a risk assessment and then a follow-up from there.
Do keep in mind that they recommend complex carbs for 'healthy eating'!
Im glad that you are having I think a full panel of blood tests. It may show that your hba1c is in normal range and then you can use it to argue your corner.
Do you think your thyroid is the cause of everything that is going on?

Reactions: 3 people

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @nosher8355,
Its highly possible my thyroid is to blame. It does play an important role in all aspects of the body. Not absorbing my vitD etc
Odd coz when I had my gp appointment it was before my chest pain. I guess they could have rushed it through and I can ask about the blood sugar levels.
Its possible it might be my thyroid and other things causing them but only the tests will confirm. I'm just glad I'm being tested for things rather than being told its normal when I know it isn't.

Reactions: 3 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @nosher8355,
Its highly possible my thyroid is to blame. It does play an important role in all aspects of the body. Not absorbing my vitD etc
Odd coz when I had my gp appointment it was before my chest pain. I guess they could have rushed it through and I can ask about the blood sugar levels.
Its possible it might be my thyroid and other things causing them but only the tests will confirm. I'm just glad I'm being tested for things rather than being told its normal when I know it isn't.

Yes it does help doesn't it!
Just the relief that something is being done feels good.
I do hope it goes well for you!
Let us know how you get on!

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You guys are doing a very good job in advising and encouraging people.
If you have this condition you know how difficult it is to get proper information, some know something is wrong but not what, having been through all that I don't want anybody to go through what I had to in hypo hell and I am just glad that posters get an understanding of what Hypoglycaemia is about and what to do to treat the symptoms. I want to pay back some of the information and advice I learnt from the people that helped me!
Thanks for your praise!
How are you coping so far?

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher, I am doing just fine, I have not had an hypo for several weeks. About a week ago I decided to screw my carbs down further and follow Southport GP's diet. I hope also to get my GGT down from 90/105 to more like three years ago when it was 35.
atb
Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's good to hear!
Have you lost most of your symptoms now!
Or are you still craving them baddies?

lindisfel

Expert
Must be craving...No potatoes with meal tonight and I mentioned to wife how years ago how I soaked my gravy up with white bread!! :))
Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What's a potato?
Never heard of white bread! How do they make it white?
Do they bleach it?
Gravy, ah! Bisto!
Ha!

Gonna have me chocolate, while I watch the footie and darts!

sharon80

Hi, I am new to this site. I have suffered with RH since I was a teenager, but only diagnosed a few years ago. I'm finding as I get older the hypos are harder to recover from, I feel totally exhausted for hours afterwards, with heavy legs and feeling a bit confused... I am worried as work, although really understanding, have introduced a very harsh absence policy, is RH covered by the disability act as Diabetes is? Thanks in anticipation for any advice...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @sharon80

Welcome!

Most doctors don't believe RH exists. So can't believe you will get any sympathy from the disability assessors. Although well done for getting a diagnosis. And with a diagnosis, i don't know what could happen.

Are you on medication? Does it help? What treatment have they given you?
And have you been controlling it with diet?

sharon80

Hi @Brunneria

My consultant has tried medication (along with 3 years of tests including a 72 hour starve) but as the dose increased I had terrible stomach problems so I am just controlling with diet. I just find if I get a cold or infection, it sends my sugar levels all over the place, so a simple cold can really affect me.

My hospital consultant is really good, so will ask him on my next visit where I stand with work.

My consultant has said that RH often transitions into diabetes, have you heard this?