HELP!!!

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, hubby has decided to make broccoli and cauliflower with our tea tonight.

Thought I would check the pack for carbs but NOTHING!!

Can someone please tell me how much carbs per 100g of each asap please?

Thank you in advance

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
120g of cauliflower has approx 3g carb and 120g of broccoli has 1g carb,

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that all?? Thank you for replying so quickly :)

geoffh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There's a reason lots of people use cauliflower to make all sorts of tasty things :) (my favourite - spicy cauliflower rice)

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could also make a broccoli and cauliflower cheese, use only a small amount of flour (1 tbsp = 6 g carbs) and milk to make the sauce and you are good to go................

yes milk is quite high in carbs but I use a lot of broccoli and cauli and cheese, and make a big dish full so each portion is still low carb....

I have never tried, but maybe you could also use soya,almond or rice milk.......?

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When we make cauliflower cheese, we use creme fraiche and stir grated cheese into it, so no flour needed. As long as you don't boil it, the creme fraiche won't separate. Different flours would have different amounts of carbs, most wheat flours are well over 70% carbs.

Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You could also make a broccoli and cauliflower cheese, use only a small amount of flour (1 tbsp = 6 g carbs) and milk to make the sauce and you are good to go................

yes milk is quite high in carbs but I use a lot of broccoli and cauli and cheese, and make a big dish full so each portion is still low carb....

I have never tried, but maybe you could also use soya,almond or rice milk.......?
Don't need to use flour, I use philly cheese with a dash of cream and mustard, salt and pepper, and add grated cheddar, heat it on a low heat and pour over cauli.

Reactions: 6 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I am looking for carb content I tend to go to a supermarket home shopping site on line, they will list most carb content with the food item. Yes some are different from others .. don't know why a fresh cut broccoli should be different .. but it is on some sites .. I expect no one is wrong .. I tend to take the higher number to be on the safe side.. unless I am upto my daily allowance ..then I take the lower figure .. :angelic:

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@June_C Wow I was actually looking at getting the carbs and cals app but I dont think I will bother now knowing they can have such variables in it. I did an extensive search on the net. Myfitnesspal. Fatsecret. Livestrong and many others and they all came back with the same answer. I guess I will just stick to what Im already doing I think I trust it more.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jaylee you have to remember that in America it is listed as total carbs not net carbs so you have to look at the total breakdown provided and.minus the fibre from the carbs which will give you the net carbs.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee you have to remember that in America it is listed as total carbs not net carbs so you have to look at the total breakdown provided and.minus the fibre from the carbs which will give you the net carbs.

That probably explains why their cars are bigger in the States too... ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@June_C Wow I was actually looking at getting the carbs and cals app but I dont think I will bother now knowing they can have such variables in it. I did an extensive search on the net. Myfitnesspal. Fatsecret. Livestrong and many others and they all came back with the same answer. I guess I will just stick to what Im already doing I think I trust it more.

I never rely on websites that themselves rely on users to state the carbs etc. particularly if the majority of users are American. Terribly unreliable as you have no idea where they get their information from. My Fitness Pal is very variable.

Anyway, why are you arguing about a difference of 3g carbs? If you are so pedantic you would need to weigh every single morsel you eat, every time you eat, forever..

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 I eat a lot of broccoli so the carbs can soon add up and if the carbs are under estimated in every thing you eat then the difference can be quite a lot. I dont weigh my food as im pretty good at judging my portion sizes. Im not argueing nor am I pedantic but I do like to try and be as accurate as possible.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never rely on websites that themselves rely on users to state the carbs etc. particularly if the majority of users are American. Terribly unreliable as you have no idea where they get their information from. My Fitness Pal is very variable.

Anyway, why are you arguing about a difference of 3g carbs? If you are so pedantic you would need to weigh every single morsel you eat, every time you eat, forever..

Indeed! Not to mention other "variables" such as indevidual metabolism...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, hubby has decided to make broccoli and cauliflower with our tea tonight.

Thought I would check the pack for carbs but NOTHING!!

Can someone please tell me how much carbs per 100g of each asap please?

Thank you in advance

Hi,
To play it safe.. Check your bloods a little more than you normally should/would.. That's what I do if it's an unknown quantity..? ;)
Bon appetite!

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Just type in the search engine "HOW MUCH CARBOHYDRATES ARE IN ...." , you can do this with most of the elements- sugar, fat, etc. I've typed out a list including cabs and sugar.