100% Cocoa Chocolate

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a few months eating one square of Lindt 85% chocolate (4g of carbs) per day, today I tried my Valentine's Day present which is Montezuma "100% Cocoa Solids Absolute Back Chocolate with Cocoa Nibs." Well, that is a really strong (bitter) taste and the texture is almost sandy. However I suspect one gets used to it? One square is not much more than 1g of carbs so I would very much like to like it, if you see what I mean....

Reactions: briped

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
After a few months eating one square of Lindt 85% chocolate (4g of carbs) per day, today I tried my Valentine's Day present which is Montezuma "100% Cocoa Solids Absolute Back Chocolate with Cocoa Nibs." Well, that is a really strong (bitter) taste and the texture is almost sandy. However I suspect one gets used to it? One square is not much more than 1g of carbs so I would very much like to like it, if you see what I mean....
Well I'll try it out for you:)

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Grateful I once tried a chocolate button of 100%. It turned my mouth inside out! So good luck with trying to like it. I'll stick to the 85 or 90% and enjoy my one square a day.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Pucker up your lips man!, coz when ever I've had it I need to drink some water.
:)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
100% cocoa choc is for us well'ard Desperate Dans, @Grateful. I find Willie's 100% Pure Gold has a less paint-strip-the-inside-of your-mouth effect, and they also do other 100% chocolate from various plantations (not tried them). Not sure if you can get the brand on that side of the pond - it's made here in the West Country. It's certainly an acquired taste but I now like it (the Pure Gold) - I bought some Lindt 100% and was asked if I had tried it before as it was quite powerful and best to work up to it. Good grief. Had to assure the shop assistant that yes, I had and yes, I could handle it....!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just cook with it. A square with a knob of butter, dash of cream, a bit of sweetener melted, mixed then left to set makes an excellent fat bomb.

Reactions: lindijanice

Iowaboy

I tried this but it was unfortunately too bitter for me. Odd, though, I had some 99% which was far superior. I have gotten into buying Callebaut cocao mass (they sell it at Whole foods), melting it down, adding Stevia, and pouring it into silicone molds to make my own chocolate bars. Not hard to do and then I can control the sweetness.
One other tip is I add peanut butter to the top of whatever chocolate bar I am eating. Even if it is bitter (unsweetened), it still tastes great!

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried the Montezuma 100% and to be completely honest it tastes awful compared to Lindt, the Lindt 90% is sooooo nice and luxurious in comparison and a 100g bar is only like 14g or carbs,

Reactions: Incyb

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Tried some Montezuma 100% with almonds last night. The almonds in it went some way to reducing the bitter taste. It was more edible and enjoyable than the Hotel Chocolat 100% little chocolate bars I tried the other year, which must have been targeting true chocolate connoisseurs. I ended up using the Hotel Chocolat bars to cook with, adding Truvia.

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
100% is too bitter for me. I melt it and add some stevia or erythritol to make it more palatable. I buy the Callebaut masss, but in chip/pellet form on line so I don’t have to take an ice pick to it.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have tried it and to be honest I think chewing a lump of charcoal would be more tasty.As a compromise try Lindt 90%,its amazingly better.As a treat Aldi do a 85% that is lovely too.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
100% on its own to too much for me - but lovely mixed with coconut cream or double cream to make a rich hot chocolate drink. Add a littrle cinnamon powder.
Or as others said, any mix of coconut/nut butter/double cream heated very gently to warm, add chopped up 100% choc,stir well and leave to set.
Or dip in one of two raspberries when cool but not set. leave on a plate till cold.

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coincidentally I have been reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory where the Oompah Loompahs seek out the cocoa bean as that is what they love to eat the most.

My wife brought back a product called Cacao bean chocolate which is basically the cocoa bean grated finely down. She adds it to rice to make a snack.

Last edited:

gossage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying at home all day
Tesco do a very good own brand 85% chocolate for £1.00.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
Montezuma Absolute Black is just great for me, with <0.5g % of sugars, it doesn't upset my control. I've tried 99% Cocoa Lindt and it tastes awful, and comes in micro 50g bars at a price!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
100% on its own to too much for me - but lovely mixed with coconut cream or double cream to make a rich hot chocolate drink. Add a littrle cinnamon powder.
Or as others said, any mix of coconut/nut butter/double cream heated very gently to warm, add chopped up 100% choc,stir well and leave to set.
Or dip in one of two raspberries when cool but not set. leave on a plate till cold.
Thanks. I guess it could be added to Greek yoghourt with some nuts or something....

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Endangered Species Panther Bar, it's 88% cocoa, Delicious and just about 1 1/2 carb per square, they have many that are 72% cocoa like the blueberry and dark chocolate that runs about 2 1/2 carb per square. The other thing I like to do is melt the panther bar with pieces of almonds, I love nuts so this works well, a pretty big piece and still the 1 1/2 carbs.

Reactions: jjraak