18 months in.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
HbA1c 5.1% Doc said “wow, you put on a lot of muscle! Looks like you killed the diabetes.. let’s put you on a once per year schedule "

so that’s cool, still on BP meds though, i was hoping to get off , but I’ll have to settle for the lowest dose for now.

9.4% to 5.1%
131kg to 95kg

next year I’ll have a lipid, kidney and HbA1c

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LaoDan . . the guy who killed diabetes
Not remission
Not reversal
Not cure
. . . . Killed

Savage results.

Ricmel

That is brilliant. Great story. I am hopefully on the same path - diagnosed 3 months ago with HbA1c at 11%. I was already on a weight loss journey from 117kg in January to 99kg today and targeting another 9 kg off by early next year. My BG readings (4 times per day) have averaged 6.6 over last 90 days and blood pressure has dropped from average 135/92 down to 115/76. Have my next bloods in 3 weeks. I'm hoping in another 12 months to be where you are today.

Can I ask, how much weight training are you doing? I feels to me like that is an important part of the response to diabetes?

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
That is brilliant. Great story. I am hopefully on the same path - diagnosed 3 months ago with HbA1c at 11%. I was already on a weight loss journey from 117kg in January to 99kg today and targeting another 9 kg off by early next year. My BG readings (4 times per day) have averaged 6.6 over last 90 days and blood pressure has dropped from average 135/92 down to 115/76. Have my next bloods in 3 weeks. I'm hoping in another 12 months to be where you are today.

Can I ask, how much weight training are you doing? I feels to me like that is an important part of the response to diabetes?

Thanks! I started weight training about 6 months into my journey, gyms were closed due to the lockdown. Over the last year I got in about 8 months of training,

I follow a guy Jason @ https://www.naturalgallantbodybuilding.com/ where he teaches how to lift heavy weights while protecting the joints. Which works great for an old guy like me.

I train 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, in 8 week cycles. Starting with high reps , light weight. Each week I increase weight, reduce reps. By week 8, I’m at my 5 rep max. I never go heavier.

Diet , well first I eat for BG control, second for building muscle. A lot of lifters eat a lot of carbs, I only eat enough to recover, and only post workout. I mostly eat at a small calorie deficit and focus on protein.

this path can be discouraging because you may not see the scale move, you won’t see any muscle if you’re carrying body fat. You may see you BG spike after training. But , over time you’ll see body recomposition.

I also do 30 minutes a day walking

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My routine is push, pull, legs. Then push, pull on day 4, finishing up the week with legs. Rest on weekends. First 90 minutes of each session with maximum effort ( no pain no gain) lol. Stretching movements or cable work to finish off the session.

I recommend getting a libre sensor every quarter to help fine tune your diet. It can get tricky telling your body to be catabolic with fat, and yet anabolic with muscle.

the priority is awesome blood glucose control, it can be easy to lose sight of that

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Amazing Results LeoDan.

Particularly impressed with your exercise routine and muscle growth.

Great work

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Congrats. 5.1% is truly impressive!

Yes once a person is already doing a 30 min brisk walk 5 times per week, extra cardio won't have as much effect on BG control as muscle building (weights) exercise.

I just wish I enjoyed exercise (at all).

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
A truely impressive result - well done!