1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

1st HbA1c Result Post Diagnosis...Could Be Better!

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by ViolaChiri, Feb 4, 2019.

1. ViolaChiri

ViolaChiri Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, while I am not new to the forum this will be my first thread :)

Was diagnosed in November 2018 with a HbA1c of 86 (10%). My sugars were largely uncontrolled till December when I discovered this forum and Jason Fung and started intermittent fasting as well as reducing my carb intake. My fasting sugars usually range in the 5/6s and during the day they tend to be in the 4s or low 5s.

I was therefore a bit disappointed to see my HbA1c is now 68 (8.4%) I suppose after reading about members in the forum who drastically reduced their numbers in three months was expecting the same. Either way a reduction is still something to be celebrated, I know my next HbA1c will also see a decrease and I hope it will fall to pre or non diabetic levels.

I also want to thank all of you here for the invaluable information and encouragement given on this forum. I honestly thought my life was over with the diagnosis and was waiting for the blindness, kidney failure and all sorts of horrific things as the disease progressed. I am now hopeful that I can manage my diabetes without the inevitable complications we are made to believe we will suffer. Again many thanks :happy:

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

The important thing to take out of that is that it is dropping. It's a positive result. You're on the right track. Congrats.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sue192

Sue192 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I second the important thing is the drop - it doesn't matter by how much, @ViolaChiri, it's in the right direction: everybody's body is different from everyone else's. Some have amazing reductions and then keep on steadily dropping; others have a great drop at first and then crawl, e.g me through the 40s! Well done and do celebrate! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congrats on lowering your blood sugars, @ViolaChiri. Wonderful achievement. Also remember that an HbA1c test covers a three-month time period. So, this test results will still include a period of uncontrolled blood sugars. Your next HbA1c should be considerable lower.

Again, really well done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @ViolaChiri I agree with Tophat - you've made great progress so try not to get down over this, it's a marathon not a race is my favourite saying, so take it in your stride and keep doing what your doing :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Congratulations, the number is going down, that’s all that matters. Keep up the good work x

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

As said above, you are going down so are on the right track. Your test is barely 2 months, if that, since you found this forum and Jason Fung, so not at all a 3 month period. There will have been quite a few of your old blood cells in that calculation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No two people are the same, and especially no two T2D's are the same.

You are moving in the right direction, and have achieved an impressive reduction, so be positive and continue what you are doing, as it is clearly working for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Agree with everyone else, congratulations and keep up the good work.

10. ViolaChiri

ViolaChiri Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the encouragement:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

That is a good result in quite a short period - stick to low carb foods and look forward to salad days and you'll not go far wrong, with a bit of luck.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook