2 days in and it's very confusing!

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Most things that's good for me
@retrogamer try the site of sugarfreelondoner - it seems to get quite a bit of approval.
I steam frozen cauliflower and chop it roughly to have with curry instead of rice.
Mashed swede takes the place of potato also used for bubble and squeak.
Swede has been suggested to me. It's one of those vegetables I've never tried (eating with my eyes as a kid)
I've been told it's just as versatile as potato though, or at least almost.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Swede has been suggested to me. It's one of those vegetables I've never tried (eating with my eyes as a kid)
I suppose it is my age - I was born in 1951, but I eat a lot of things which are considered unusual - actually I eat anything at all food like to be honest - but as all my mother's family tend to put on weight really easily and they are also prone to diabetes it might be something in our nurture as well as nature.
Swede, celeriac, - that aniseed tasting stem - oh yes, fennel and some rather medieval vegetables were all on the table at my grandmother's house.

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I suppose it is my age - I was born in 1951, but I eat a lot of things which are considered unusual - actually I eat anything at all food like to be honest - but as all my mother's family tend to put on weight really easily and they are also prone to diabetes it might be something in our nurture as well as nature.
Swede, celeriac, - that aniseed tasting stem - oh yes, fennel and some rather medieval vegetables were all on the table at my grandmother's house.
Well I was born 20 years later and unfortunately was allowed to be a little too picky. Probably one of the reasons I've ended up where I am now. If it wasn't convenience food I wasn't interested.
I thought that anything with leaves should be fed to rabbits, not humans and I just wouldn't touch them. Not sure if it's because of my reliance on carbs and other sweet tasting foods but now, anything considered healthy for me tastes bitter or just plain tasteless.

Hopefully abstaining from carbs will rectify some of that.

• Optimistic
Reactions: HSSS

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never say never. You may well find that things that taste bitter now will actually taste pleasant a few months down the line as your taste buds change . Its an opportunity to try new things. A very monotonous diet is one few can stick to.
, and eventually you will settle in to it being a way of eating for life, not just a short term diet.

Yes, most packets and ready prepared things have carbs so choose which you can replace and which you can't. For me it's gravy, just once a week which I allow myself from a tub as long as I've kept the carbs low all week. Yes there are alternatives recipes but I don't want to make separate from the family and , more importantly a small serving doesn't spike my bg. Testing is the key.

Your doing well for only a few days in. Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. And there will be learning curve and mistakes, but we are here for when needed

Nixterjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hey … im relatively new too and i started with cutting carbs to 40-50g which suits me so far have cut my bloods from 78 to 48 in 8 weeks and lost 2.5 stone in the process, i have a long way to go yet but i have found that if i eat round my plate really helps… so veg first then protein and any carbs i have i eat last if there is room also a lowcarb protein shake with chia seeds and flaxseeds ( they dont taste of anything) and no sugar almond milk helps for a quick filling breakfast on the go .. and test test test especially if its a new food and i make a list of good to go and avoid foods so the testing gets less .. good luck on yr journey the forum is full of amazing advice

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another vote for swede. IIRC 3g carb/100g, and available as ready prepared mash in Lidl (no carbs like carrot, sweet potato, or anything else added) in their "Scottish Sides" section.

On the taste thing - it might change for you, it did for me. I now find that milk tastes sweet.

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I was born 20 years later and unfortunately was allowed to be a little too picky. Probably one of the reasons I've ended up where I am now. If it wasn't convenience food I wasn't interested.
I thought that anything with leaves should be fed to rabbits, not humans and I just wouldn't touch them. Not sure if it's because of my reliance on carbs and other sweet tasting foods but now, anything considered healthy for me tastes bitter or just plain tasteless.

Hopefully abstaining from carbs will rectify some of that.
I no longer have quite such a sweet tooth as I did when younger, but (like most people, probably) have retained a lifelong love of certain food - currant buns, for example. School milk was always accompanied by wooden trays of fragrant freshly-baked buns from the bakery next door, which we would order and pay for (three maximum!) as we arrived at school. (I later discovered our wonderful headmaster personally, and very discreetly, funded buns for poorer pupils.)

I haven't touched a currant bun since diagnosis, but they might feature in a BG test at some stage in the future.

Last edited:

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I no longer have quite such a sweet tooth as I did when younger, but (like most people, probably) have retained a lifelong love of certain food - currant buns, for example. School milk was always accompanied by wooden trays of fragrant freshly-baked buns from the bakery next door, which we would order and pay for (three maximum!) as we arrived at school. (I later discovered our wonderful headmaster personally, and very discreetly, funded buns for poorer pupils.)

I haven't touched a currant bun since diagnosis, but they might feature in a BG test at some stage in the future.
My Achilles heel is many of the old school puddings with custard. Jam sponge/rolypoly, chocolate concrete and so on.

I hope to get everything under control so I can at least test the results from the occasional treat such as this but time will tell.

One of the biggest problems I'm facing at the moment is sauces. I used to have gravy, Chinese curry, beans or other tinned products with a tomato sauce.
Since being diagnosed I am very aware that these items contain lots of carbs. I'm on the lookout for alternatives but not really found anything to my liking yet.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Achilles heel is many of the old school puddings with custard. Jam sponge/rolypoly, chocolate concrete and so on.

I hope to get everything under control so I can at least test the results from the occasional treat such as this but time will tell.

One of the biggest problems I'm facing at the moment is sauces. I used to have gravy, Chinese curry, beans or other tinned products with a tomato sauce.
Since being diagnosed I am very aware that these items contain lots of carbs. I'm on the lookout for alternatives but not really found anything to my liking yet.
One of my favourites is adding double cream to the juice left in the pan from a steak, chops, or a salmon fillet, sometimes I add a bit of blue cheese as well. Heavenly..... gravy couldn't hold a candle to this decadence ;)

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dumb question #99: What is the problem with gravy? I appreciate we all have different triggers, but I've never seen a spike which could be attributed to gravy.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dumb question #99: What is the problem with gravy? I appreciate we all have different triggers, but I've never seen a spike which could be attributed to gravy.
Depending on how the gravy is made it can be quite carby, but if your testing and your seeing numbers your happy with you may be able to tolerate it, we are all different p,I do occasionally have a little bit of gravy thickened with arrowroot but only a small portion

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people add flour or a gravy thickener such as bisto to thicken it. I think both are around the 60g/100g mark, so it all depends on how much you have.

If you do gravy old-style and mash the veg through a sieve, no flour or thickener means no problem - for me anyway. I usually roast meat on a bed of veg (usually a cupful of onions/carrot/celery, all grated) that's going to become the gravy. It just takes a lot more time, so I generally use the hand blender on it first.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Srsly Low Carb do a bun that might work for you. It has a few sultanas and a bit of cinnamon. They are under 5g/bun, and go well with plenty of butter.

https://srslylowcarb.com/collections/loaves-rolls/products/seriously-low-carb-hot-cross-buns

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most people add flour or a gravy thickener such as bisto to thicken it. I think both are around the 60g/100g mark, so it all depends on how much you have.

If you do gravy old-style and mash the veg through a sieve, no flour or thickener means no problem - for me anyway. I usually roast meat on a bed of veg (usually a cupful of onions/carrot/celery, all grated) that's going to become the gravy. It just takes a lot more time, so I generally use the hand blender on it first.
I usually

I usually deglaze with vegetable water, crumble in an Oxo cube, and thicken with cornflour. So far, so good - no spikes yet.

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Due to the fact I'm going very low carb to
A. Lose weight &
B. Get my sugar levels under control
I'm reading the nutritional information on everything in my cupboards and in the supermarket. If it has any significant amount of carbs I simply don't use it. I have no idea what will affect me and what won't yet so the safest option is to abstain as much as possible. Gravy granules stated a significant amount of carbs so I assumed it was not good.

On another note:
I've just read elsewhere on the forum that donner kebab meat and chicken kebab meat are both carb free. Please tell me that hot chilli is also carb free!!

• Friendly
Reactions: Grandma Misti

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
The hot chillies peppers you can buy whole are low carb and you would normally use very little anyway.
But chilli sauces vary - so you have to read the label and work out how much you will be using of it.

Reactions: retrogamer

Lakeslover

A 50ml serving of bistro low salt gravy (made from granules) is 2.2g of carbs. So with a low carb meal of roast meat and low carb veg it is unlikely to be a problem. On the other hand if you wanted 250 ml that would be 11gof carbs.

Reactions: retrogamer

retrogamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The hot chillies peppers you can buy whole are low carb and you would normally use very little anyway.
But chilli sauces vary - so you have to read the label and work out how much you will be using of it.
Well I don't know about the takeaway chilli sauces so I would probably refrain from adding these but apparently Franks redhot cayenne pepper hot sauce, available in lots of shops is totally carb free so may be a good alternative. Just depends if it tastes as good as hot chilli sauce.