2 for the price of 1 - not for us

Defren

I get a regular email from my supermarket (dot) com which gives information of the best supermarket offers. Where I live, close by there is an Asda, and Sainsbury's then a little further away a Morrisons. I always shop in Sainsbury's apart from meat, fruit and veg. My meat comes from either a local butcher, or like my fresh produce from an organic farm that delivers (If anyone would like the URL to the company, PM me and I will send it to you. They only have four farms in the country, and the produce is second to none). I also am fortunate that I have a local greengrocer who supplies local organic fruit and veg.

Anyway, my point! This email arrived, I looked at it, firstly, not a single organic item on the list... Second, the fruit was all things I and most diet or Metfomin and diet T2's couldn't tolerate, melons, peaches, plums, and of course potato's. Next was dairy, so yes there were some cheeses and cooked meats, if a lot of the ham choices were breaded. I tend to avoid processed ham and cooked meats anyway, but lets not look a gift horse in the mouth, there was cheese.

Next was spreads, yogurt etc, I only eat full fat Fage total Greek yogurt, and wouldn't give artificial butter house room, so they were out as well. Again a small oasis, there was some chorizo sausage, and in amongst the breaded scampi etc, a bag of prawns - yeah us! Then we had all the baked goods, followed by cereal. Depression had set in by this point! It hit harder when next was chocolate and all the snack foods, twiglets, crisps, sweets and sugary drinks. There was some Coca Cola zero, but I don't ever drink soda, I loathe the taste and always have, but for a general diabetic list, it was there.

Then it was personal care and home cleaning items, which of course we all use. But food wise for diabetics, it was actually really quite pitiful to see. I even looked for things I perhaps wouldn't eat, and yet it was glaringly obvious healthy eating certainly isn't big business and so BOGOF's are going to be a rare find in a diabetic shopping cart.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Re: 2 for the price of 1 - Lovely Jubbly

Not quite sure what you expect a supermarket to offer for sale to its customers, if they just targeted a few thousand ultra low carbers in their promotions they would be out of business in weeks if not days.

Just because you choose not to eat potatoes and fruit doesnt mean the rest of us dont want to? Personally I am thankful that Supermarkets offer bags of new potatoes for a pound and apples and oranges in bags with BOGOF offers at very competitive prices and long may they continue to do so :thumbup:

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
One of the most annoying things about being diabetic, particularly if you low carb, is that you very quickly come to realise that the world is not designed with your needs in mind. This is one of the reasons I no longer low low carb. Yes of course the products the food industry promotes are the cheap, filling cr*p that most people in this country eat on a daily basis. I've often wondered how different it would be if everyone was diabetic. Would there be low carb food available in every service station? Then again, given the NHS standard diet advice given to most diabetics maybe it would be exactly the same as it is now.

Defren

the_anticarb said:
One of the most annoying things about being diabetic, particularly if you low carb, is that you very quickly come to realise that the world is not designed with your needs in mind.

How true is that? I do still low carb and always will, it's a way of eating I like, it keeps my BG low and stable and keeps my cholesterol low, so why mend what isn't broken?

the_anticarb said:
This is one of the reasons I no longer low low carb.

I bet it's a reason why many start low carbing, then give up, it's a sad state of affairs I think.

the_anticarb said:
Yes of course the products the food industry promotes are the cheap, filling cr*p that most people in this country eat on a daily basis. I've often wondered how different it would be if everyone was diabetic. Would there be low carb food available in every service station? Then again, given the NHS standard diet advice given to most diabetics maybe it would be exactly the same as it is now.

Can't argue with any of that. People need cheap filling food and if that means it's not the healthiest, then sadly health has to come second to economics. I do fully understand that. Do we lay the blame with manufacturers, supermarkets? In the context of this thread, it has to be the supermarkets. There was, as I said small pockets of foods diabetics could eat, for people not diabetic but healthy eating, the choices were slightly more varied, but all in all not a great deal, most offers were processed ****.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
The only BOGOF I have found that suits me recently was Pilgrims choice extra mature cheddar,a few weeks back in Tesco,usually BOGOF's consist of stuff I wouldn't have eaten BEFORE diagnosis even(with the exception of Jersey royals and Warburtons crumpets),although I've always been a food snob too! :lol:

Defren

Paul1976 said:
The only BOGOF I have found that suits me recently was Pilgrims choice extra mature cheddar,a few weeks back in Tesco,usually BOGOF's consist of stuff I wouldn't have eaten BEFORE diagnosis even(with the exception of Jersey royals and Warburtons crumpets),although I've always been a food snob too! :lol:

I'm SO glad I'm not the only one. :lol: I really missed Jersey Royals, but was still on the ND when they were first in season, but Sainsbury's still had them when I was done. :( Still to this day I miss crumpets, but when I see others struggling missing many foods I feel guilty for whining about just one lamented friend.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia

Sid Bonkers said:
Not quite sure what you expect a supermarket to offer for sale to its customers, if they just targeted a few thousand ultra low carbers in their promotions they would be out of business in weeks if not days.

I doubt that they make that much money out of the portion control lobby either Sid!

Call me a sucker, but I love a bit of a BOGOF. I'd also do anything* for some bonus Clubcard points.

*yes I really do mean anything

Defren

borofergie said:
I doubt that they make that much money out of the portion control lobby either Sid!

Indeed Stephen, I actually don't recall mentioning low carb, ultra low carb, medium carb, but I do recall mentioning diabetics, particularly T2's on diet, or Metformin and diet.

borofergie said:
Call me a sucker, but I love a bit of a BOGOF. I'd also do anything* for some bonus Clubcard points.

*yes I really do mean anything

It's Nectar points here, I got all my Christmas meats with Nectar points last year. I call that a result!

Paul1976

Dislikes
I performed a miracle last year...I turned clubcard vouchers into Cabernet sauvignon and Glenmorangie single malt whiskey! :D

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Simple solution is grow your own and or support you local corner shop.
Works out cheaper than supermarket shopping.

Paul1976

Dislikes
CarbsRok said:

I actually do support my local farm shop for local organic meat,locally grown veg,eggs,butter and the like,but sometimes in a rush,when you need to eat on the run and your passing a supermarket it would be good to be able to buy low carb alternatives to the usual sandwiches,wraps,sushi with rice etc,yes you can buy half a chicken off the hot deli or a big pot of mixed olives which I do love but sometimes it would be nice to have more choices(My tesco has a whole Gluten free aisle,so why not low carb,low GI?) and it would be good to be able to buy things like peanut flour,coconut flour etc,locally,without having to use the Internet.

Defren

CarbsRok said:

This I fully support and agree with. I think the saddest thing is many local butchers and greengrocers are no more. I have both and I do use them every week, as well as an organic farm that sells many other organic things than just meat, fresh produce and dairy. This week my daughters asked for organic brownies, and they were a resounding success, and are in the order for this coming week. They and my local suppliers make sure that we always have lovely fresh cosmetically "ugly" but far tastier produce than any supermarket could provide.

jopar

Sorry I wouldn't frequent any establishment who treated me like an idiot, by attempting to deem that as I was a diabetic, I could only have certain food choices available to me! I am more than capable to make up my own choice what is suitable to be put into my shopping trolley or what meal I want...

I don't drink alcohol, but I don't start to demand that all alcohol sales should be banned is somebody wants to pickle their liver tis up to them!

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
jopar said:
Sorry I wouldn't frequent any establishment who treated me like an idiot, by attempting to deem that as I was a diabetic, I could only have certain food choices available to me! I am more than capable to make up my own choice what is suitable to be put into my shopping trolley or what meal I want...

I don't drink alcohol, but I don't start to demand that all alcohol sales should be banned is somebody wants to pickle their liver tis up to them!

Would you frequent an establishment that treated you like an idiot, by attempting to deem that as you were a diabetic, it would make very few foods choices available to you?

Trying to to shop for "low-carb" friendly foods is an exercise in reading minute labels (sometimes on the inside of the packaging), and having to skirt the outside of the supermarket, because almost every-single one of the inner aisles is packed with high carb food choices.

There are hundreds of "low-fat" and "reduced sugar" options, but almost nothing that it is explicitly low-carb.

It's not so bad here, but in America they limit your choice completely. You'll try in vain to find "full-fat" yogurt and milk.

Paul1976

Dislikes
jopar said:

Sorry,but I don't get your comparison here,what has Low carb products being given a look in on the supermarket shelves got to do with banning anything?? NO-ONE has said that at all! :roll:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
but sometimes in a rush,when you need to eat on the run and your passing a supermarket it would be good to be able to buy low carb alternatives to the usual sandwiches,wraps,sushi with rice etc,yes you can buy half a chicken off the hot deli or a big pot of mixed olives which I do love but sometimes it would be nice to have more choices(My tesco has a whole Gluten free aisle,so why not low carb,low GI?) and it would be good to be able to buy things like peanut flour,coconut flour etc,.locally,without having to use the Internet
Paul, I can't buy any of the underlined items. ( TBH,I can buy a rotiserrie chicken at the market on a Thursday ; from the same farmer who sells local chickens and rabbits complete with heads :lol: )Neither peanut or coconut flour are locally produced products and certainly not part of any indigenous European diet.
Whether you reduce your carbs or whatever, it's not necessary to buy or eat industrial foods or foods from the other side of the globe.

Paul1976

Dislikes
You've misinterpreted my post,I was pointing out that as a low carber,I can buy a hot chicken portion off the counter at Tesco's or a pot of olives or some cheese but where's the other alternatives at Tesco's for example when your on the run?,Sandwiches?,Pasta pots?,Wraps perhaps?..and I never said that peanut flour etc was a local produce BUT a major importer like Tesco's could easily stock it.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Paul1976 said:
You've misinterpreted my post,I was pointing out that as a low carber,I can buy a hot chicken portion off the counter at Tesco's or a pot of olives or some cheese but where's the other alternatives at Tesco's for example when your on the run?,Sandwiches?,Pasta pots?,Wraps perhaps?..and I never said that peanut flour etc was a local produce BUT a major importer like Tesco's could easily stock it.

I think you just have to accept that the Western diet is, and probably always will be, mostly carbohydrate based. It's only when you look at it with a diabetic's eyes can you see that most people have to have carbohydrates for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Why do we have an obesity epidemic again?

Your point about "gluten free" is a good one. About 10% of the population are supposed to be gluten intolerant, compared with 5% of the population who have diabetes. I suspect that there is some "cultural caché" associated with gluten intolerance, that leads to people buying those products (a bit like the way that everyone suddenly seems to be lactose intolerant, and have a nut allergy).

Wheras the big food producers might have an agenda in forcing sugar and grains down our throats, I honestly think that Mr Tescos and Mr Sainsburys are only in it for the money. If there was a market in low-carb, they'd try to exploit it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paul1976 said:
The only BOGOF I have found that suits me recently was Pilgrims choice extra mature cheddar,a few weeks back in Tesco

I took advantage of that offer too, Tesco's are quite good in offering cheese on BOGOF.

I love the BOGOF offers but you do have to be careful as they often put the prices up in the weeks leading up to the offer, I would love (in an ideal world) to buy more local food but unfortunately prices does influence my decision to do so, local shops in my area cannot compete with the prices on offer at Lild/ Aldi for essentials like fruit and vegetables. I do buy my meat from the local butchers as the quality is far superior.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Paul1976 said:
CarbsRok said:

I actually do support my local farm shop for local organic meat,locally grown veg,eggs,butter and the like,but sometimes in a rush,when you need to eat on the run and your passing a supermarket it would be good to be able to buy low carb alternatives to the usual sandwiches,wraps,sushi with rice etc,yes you can buy half a chicken off the hot deli or a big pot of mixed olives which I do love but sometimes it would be nice to have more choices(My tesco has a whole Gluten free aisle,so why not low carb,low GI?) and it would be good to be able to buy things like peanut flour,coconut flour etc,locally,without having to use the Internet.

Supermarkets sell salads all ready to be eaten, there's plenty of nut selections as well as meats, individual meats can be bought as well.
Simple solution for meals though if on the move is take a packed lunch.
As to coconut flour etc have a look in a health food shop they are sold in most of them. I live right out in the back of beyond and all these products can be bought localy :)