2017/2018 Football Season

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our problem is the club, financially is not sustainable, no investment because it is not viable or profitable.

Well that's the problem with lots of businesses nowadays. Big businesses too, Woolworths for example, fail and go under.

In my years of watching FGR at conference level I have observed the attitude of fans of big clubs who have just been relegated from Div 2. They all assume their club will go back up the following season and totally underestimate the standard of conference football.

Why do you think football is a special case? Should we protect the old football clubs so that no newer ones can ever go into the league simply because of the history? If a big club can't survive in the Conference whilst getting around 10x the income of the other conference clubs for the first season they drop, do they deserve more special treatment?

I think you are blaming the wrong people. The armchair fans who watch matches on Sky and BT Sport are the ones really calling the shots. They want to watch the Prem, so that's what they get and the Prem get the money for that.

How often have you gone into a shop and asked for something that is no longer available because 'there's no call for that' anymore? Well, yes there is!!! I just asked for whatever it was! It's the same with footie. Market forces. The majority would rather watch Liverpool than Tranmere on TV ( not me!).

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The nail on the head was t.v.!
It's not just the premiership or the FA!
It is not just sky! It's about viewing figures and the cost to view the premiership from all over the world.
The money flowing in from abroad is huge and most of it goes to the premiership. Then the FA.
That's how they can afford the wages and transfer fees.
Most premiership clubs would be able to run without having fans inside the stadia as long as it was on television. The actual season ticket money is now only piecemeal compared to television rights.
I think man u were on the television seven times in a month around chrimbo and the New year. Liverpool about six, spurs Chelsea, the same!
That is why when third round of the cup comes round, utd or Liverpoo are on always televised.
Conference budgets for the entire season are less than one televised sky game for the premiership!
Fact, Rovers get paid more by Liverpool for hosting a u23 game than being televised on BT for a conference first team game!!

I do agree that clubs who go to the wall, don't have the right to exist, there are many clubs that have had to be reborn, many are still struggling, some have had something of a rebirth.

Rovers have nearly gone three times!

What really contributed to the wide disparaging gap in the football league was the demise of the ITV football channel. Many clubs overspent but the money never appeared and quite a few clubs, such as Rovers have never recovered. Especially in the north, I'm talking about the likes of Chester, Wrexham, Stockport, Bury, Lincoln, Halifax and so on. That is just off the top of my head, clubs that existed in the lower divisions and tried to compete with other bigger clubs never mind the premiership!

Did you read about the PFA chairman, and how much he gets paid?
Average of 3million a year!

It is about greed and how much money these mercenaries can get.
How long ago was it about bragging rights and what actually happens on the pitch?
I think if we don't have the smaller clubs who find the talent that end up wearing the three lions, which is a rare thing these days, I do believe that clubs will start going again, never to be seen. All clubs are special to their fans, but only them.
The FA certainly don't!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long ago was it about bragging rights and what actually happens on the pitch?
Oh the good old days, when it was the football that really mattered!

I am as sad as you are to see the struggling clubs but I don't think they will ever get the help they need. (I was playing devil's advocate a bit to get you to say even more good stuff lol ;) )

Re the three lions - I think the national football team in England struggle because footie is the national sport and therefore attracts and can afford so many great foreign players. Our home grown talent doesn't stand a chance so we have a weak national team. The French national rugby team is suffering in the same way. Ironic that a sport suffers nationally because it's the most popular one in that country.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's good to see Spurs helping to spread the money around a bit lol ;) well done Rochdale, hopefully there will be some of your stickers on seats at Wembley next to the Newport ones. :)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It's good to see Spurs helping to spread the money around a bit lol ;) well done Rochdale, hopefully there will be some of your stickers on seats at Wembley next to the Newport ones. :)
Steve Davies, he scored the equaliser in injury time was a Tranmere scholar.
There are lots out there, we produce good youngsters but for some unknown reason very few stay with the club. The managers we have had are reluctant to play them. Then release them, they become another clubs good talent and bring them through, even though the youngster has more talent than the resident pro.
Our latest first year pro, who has been outstanding when playing, has been offered a contract extension that will definitely see him him move on.
The offer is pitiful!
I don't want a repeat of last year's wemberley trip for us!
Want to go up as champions! Never done that ever!!
Getting excited about Tuesday night now!

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Didn't Wigan do well last night. I'm pleased for them that they dumped City out. I bet Pep wasn't best pleased though. :D
@jay hay-char you got Wigan next lad you best watch out they may dump you out too. If they can dump top of Prem out then why not relegation placed. Mind you it would be no bad thing as like us you need to concentrate on the league need the points badly.

Reactions: Cumberland

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Away to West Brum today and we need to win it for sure. Hopefully Burnley and Leicester wont let us down and beat Saints and Stoke respectively. But if we win then there's room for the Saints to win too and we'd still be outside the relegation zone and so would they. That's assuming Brighton beat the Swans :D Good luck @jay hay-char
Good luck to everyone else. Hope you all get a good result :)