21st birthday - alcohol and gliclazide

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My daughters 21st on Friday. Going for a meal - it's at a fish restuarant so finding sensble eating options should be easy enough. I'll be having a few drinks, not under the table stuff, but a few all the same. I rarely drink alcohol but this is a special occasion.

I know that alcohol affects BG levels so thinking about how to handle my meds. I'm on 40mg glicklazide morning and before dinner. I was thinking perhaps miss the evening dose on Friday and possibly Saturday morning depending on readings. Or do I have this completely wrong?

If I've got it right what kind of reading for the morning after would it be unwise to take meds?

John

C

catherinecherub

Re: 21st birthday - alcohol and glicklaazide

I'll bump this up John in the hope that someone on the same meds can tell you their experience with alcohol.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: 21st birthday - alcohol and glicklaazide

how many do you mean by a few? - missing meds is never a good idea - I take 80g glic in the morning and evening and often have a drink with my meal when out (well always actually! :lol: ) - I usually stick to no more than 3 drinks but have had more on a couple of occasions - still take my meds - just keep an eye on those BS - could even treat yourself to a nice pudding if it's not to carby - your daughter is only 21 once afterall - have a lovely time :D

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: 21st birthday - alcohol and glicklazide

I'm on 40mg Gliclazide taken in the morning as well as 3 x 850 mg metformin. I still take it when I drink alcohol. Unless you are running very low bs levels (in the 4's) then I would take it anyway.