1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

3 months in...

Discussion in 'Young People/Adults' started by Matt_Harman, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Matt_Harman

Matt_Harman · Member

Hi guys! - I have just posted this elsewhere on the forum but found this thread seems to be more appropriate.

My name is Matt, I'm 27 and live just outside of Southampton. I'm a type 1 and got diagnosed just over 3 months ago!!

Just thought I'd introduce myself and would be nice to chat to a few people in the same boat :)

I'm intrigued to know how everyone deals with it in their own ways and hopefully I can pick up a few tips along the way...

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Matt_Harman and welcome to the club no one really wants to be in! I am recently diagnosed.....well 48 years ago......its a lot to take in at the moment BUT it will become easier, well the injecting and testing will anyway. Any questions you may have post them up....pretty sure someone will be along to help out. Pretty knowledgeable/friendly group here

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Matt_Harman

Matt_Harman · Member

Hi @porl69 haha thank you! I'm sure I'll have a gazillion questions along the way :banghead:

• Like Like x 2
  4. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Matt_Harman . Welcome to the forum.
    As my good friend @porl69 has pointed out you’ve come to a good place.
    3 months isn’t long and you can expect things to change and develop over the coming months and years.
    Because of this it’s probably best not to get overly stressed when things don’t go as planned. Just get on here and let us know your concerns and problems and it’s highly likely someone will be able to help.
    One thing I find with T1 is that it is best dealt with if you have a positive attitude, even when everything seems to be falling apart around your feet.
    Be proud that you’re a T1 and you’ll be half way there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

We like questions around here :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matt_Harman

Matt_Harman · Member

I think you're probably right, just need to embrace it as best I can. Just another challenge life throws your way!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Matt_Harman .
    I embraced it 28 yrs ago. It’s not always plain sailing but making it an ally is far better than making it an enemy.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Not in the exact same boat, but wanted to say hello as you seem a friendly chap.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Matt_Harman

Matt_Harman · Member

10. Veryanxious

Veryanxious Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Hello matt! What are your numbers if i may ask?
    C peptides and Antibodies if tested?
    If you still have c peptide left, you can consider paleoketogenic diet which i folĺow for keeping autoimmune not progressing and hopefully improving.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook