Snack ..chicken
T2

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
on any medications......?

maybe you could try removing fat from meats like pork and bacon.......

any physical activity..?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 weeks low carbs not lost lb

4 rasher Break bacon 2 eggs
Lunch small chicken salad
Eve meal chops .meat veg

Snack ..chicken
T2
How are your blood sugar levels?
How much weight are you wanting to lose?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 weeks low carbs not lost lb

4 rasher Break bacon 2 eggs
Lunch small chicken salad
Eve meal chops .meat veg

Snack ..chicken
T2

What have your blood glucose readings been like?

Personally, I view weight loss as a very minor part in my blood glucose management, so if low carb allows some hoped for weight loss, then I would celebrate, but since it controls blood glucose, and that is REALLY worth celebrating.

When I switched from low carb to very low carb I lost about 20 pounds over around 8 months (if memory serves). Then the weight loss halted and I have been static for the last 4? 6? years. Minor fluctuations as I have shifted macros around and tried fasting and different ways of eating while keto.

I count it all as a splendid win, because in all that time my blood glucose has been below that of a pre-diabetic.
DELIGHTED, even though I am still obese. :D
Not everyone loses weight on low carb.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
on any medications......?

maybe you could try removing fat from meats like pork and bacon.......

any physical activity..?
No!! The fat is the tasty bit and it doesn't jack up insulin levels and cause weight gain like the carbs she is dropping. Not all calories are equal here.
The OP is insulin resistant so the key to weight loss will not be cutting calories but liberating fat stores on her body by reducing insulin levels since high insulin levels inhibit the glucagon which will liberate energy from her fat cells.
Eating too much fat could stop her getting into body supplies but this does not seem likely from what she's reported.

Reactions: Robbity

Hotpepper20000

My understanding is that glicizide increases insulin production.
As a type two there’s is usually already too much in our systems and this is what causes weight gain.
So being on medication that increases insulin as a insulin resistance type 2 will only make it harder to loose weight.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Brunneria that LCHF is not necessarily a weight loss diet - its benefits are mainly in lowering glucose levels, and for some people losing weight may be an added bonus. It was probably a couple of months before I saw any weight loss, and this was when I went right down to 20-25g carbs a day to kick start ketosis that this eventually happened, and I lost a lot of weight very quickly. But since then my weight has remained fairly static for nearly six years.

I think you sometimes have to do a coupe of things on low carb before weight loss happens: first you have to (re)learn how to burn stored body fat - if you've been eating a high carb diet long term, it's used to using short term energy carbs, and is able to store surplus fat but not access it to burn off. So you need to eat few enough carbs for long enough to persuade it to do this, which can take time. Then when you've reached the point where you are actually mainly relying on fats for fuel, you'll need to reduce their consumption to the point where you start using the stored fat to make up the deficit.

Reactions: HSSS

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While calculations of weight loss using Calories in and Calories out don't work, the fact remains that eating low carb doesn't mean you can eat as much as you want with no effect on your weight. I dropped from 89 kg to 73 kg in a few months when I started a low carb diet, I didn't do any calculations but giving up cakes, biscuits, deserts, pies etc meant that I must have been eating a lot less Calories which I am sure I didn't make up for with extra fat and protein.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are the inches and blood glucose readings? These usually show changes before the scales in insulin resistant people (type 2!) . It takes time as explained above for the body to get itself working properly again.

C595B40C-A6D4-44CF-BBB6-9305066D5CA1.jpeg

Attachments

• C8E7B6C5-7A9F-4399-9722-0BA0D2D4B755.jpeg
    C8E7B6C5-7A9F-4399-9722-0BA0D2D4B755.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 290
  • 769760EC-5F03-440C-A6B4-DCA21CED7A65.jpeg
    769760EC-5F03-440C-A6B4-DCA21CED7A65.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 277
M

Member496333

With regards to CICO vs. low-carb, it's worth remembering that whilst we may know how many calories we are putting in, we don't know how many are being taken from fat stores already in the body. Only a low-insulin diet can effectively liberate those fat stores, and it may take quite some time for circulating insulin levels to drop low enough in order to bring that about. Keep calm and carry on.

Jiabetes

Eat more fruit and veg like grapes which are excellent for improving glycemic control and have a low glycemic index. Try to adopt a vegetarian diet temporarily and you will find the pounds will shed off

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat more fruit and veg like grapes which are excellent for improving glycemic control and have a low glycemic index. Try to adopt a vegetarian diet temporarily and you will find the pounds will shed off

Fruit especially those like grapes are not good for blood glucose and contribute to non alcoholic fatty liver disease as only the liver can process and store fructose. Non starchy veg is a far better idea. No need to go vegetarian for the purposes of diabetes or weight loss there’s no specific benefit, unless you otherwise want to of course.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
fruit is not good for type 2 diabetics with insulin resistance.

Are you a type 1 diabetic? your profile doesnt say, but your posts indicate you may be?

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weight loss is basically calories in v calories out. Although diabetes complicates this with the need for glucose control. Calculate your BMR add your activity level and eat calories at a deficit and weight loss will happen. Adding some light exercise helps, also no snacking and three meals a day will help, as every tine one eats glucose spikes, however little, so keeping the peaks and valleys to just three times a day is always good.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight loss is basically calories in v calories out. Although diabetes complicates this with the need for glucose control. Calculate your BMR add your activity level and eat calories at a deficit and weight loss will happen. Adding some light exercise helps, also no snacking and three meals a day will help, as every tine one eats glucose spikes, however little, so keeping the peaks and valleys to just three times a day is always good.
I'm afraid this isnt right. Carbs affect us type 2's dis-proportionally. We need to reduce our carb intake specifically to avoid weight gain. 100g of carbs will affect our weight far more than 100g of proteins or fats, due to carbs influence on our blood sugar levels.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid this isnt right. Carbs affect us type 2's dis-proportionally. We need to reduce our carb intake specifically to avoid weight gain. 100g of carbs will affect our weight far more than 100g of proteins or fats, due to carbs influence on our blood sugar levels.
Indeed I very much agree with your sentiments, hence why access to a blood glucose monitor and testing strips is necessary, to see how one responds to certain carbs, and to tailor ones food intake appropriately. But yes carbs affect type 2 differently to fat or protein.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There is some conflicting advice in here, which seems to be due to differences between T2 who low carb and T1s who have a very difference metabolic profile?

Jiabetes - as pointed out on another post, many T2s can't eat grapes, they really spiked my blood sugar.

Loads of T2s do lose weight on a low carb diet but the main reason we do it is to reduce blood sugar and even out those dangerous spikes. If/when we lose depends on our bodies and how low we need to go - that varies a lot.
I found I could lose on calorie controlled and usually did it on low fat, Always put the weight back on plus more and all that high carb low fat helps to explain how I ended up as T2.
But others here are right, low carb means we can stop worrying about the pesky calories, plenty of research to show that not all calories are the same and we react differently to carb based calories than fat.
On going low carb I lost a lot of weight at first, but haven't lost even a pound over the last 8 months even though I'm still 'obese'. But my blood sugar is great and that is the important thing for me.

Finally - are you sure you are counting all the carbs? It's easy to let a few slip by if you don't realise that almost every food contains carbs and weigh/measure accurately your meals, drinks, snacks. I measured every thing for months, and used the food dairy in the lowcarbprogram to keep track.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate starches and sugars in plenty on medical advice, and ended up practically spherical and a very bad diabetic. I cut out red meat, weighed everything I was eating and was called a liar a cheat and delusional as I gained weight and felt very old and feeble.
Once I had a blood glucose meter I checked out low glycemic foods - no advantage at all. Spikes in blood sugar just the same as any other carb heavy food. It just doesn't work.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
DON'T eat grapes-far too high in fructose. Very bad for type 2

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No!! The fat is the tasty bit and it doesn't jack up insulin levels and cause weight gain like the carbs she is dropping. Not all calories are equal here.
The OP is insulin resistant so the key to weight loss will not be cutting calories but liberating fat stores on her body by reducing insulin levels since high insulin levels inhibit the glucagon which will liberate energy from her fat cells.
Eating too much fat could stop her getting into body supplies but this does not seem likely from what she's reported.

What has she reported? I've not been following....

I agree carbs should be cut, but if there is nothing happening despite that then it might be the fat.....

What role does the gluagon play in your argument?