3 weeks to Oz!!!

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Yep, three weeks until I fly out to Oz for a years work. Say hello West Coast! (Fremantle/Perth)

Was planning on cycling to work until they considered moving me to a hospital 30km away! I said I didn't fancy riding to and from work (60km) in the Australian summer - inland with little wind, and doing a 12 hour night shift! I think that''s pushing it a bit too much.

What's the largers Freo bag I can get and just how much insulin can I take with me? I have 2.5 boxes of novorapid at the mo, and some test strips and needle tips. As long as I'm not taking the mick with how much I take, I assume 12 pens would cover me the initial settling in period until I sort a docs and medicare over there?

Any tips for dealing with the sun and temps?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is a link to the UK Frio website. Take a look:

http://www.friouk.com/buy/

Travelling by Air you need to be careful how the Insulin will be stored.(Temperature)
If that amount is in your hand luggage there are also Security implications and you will need a letter from your GP as to why you are carrying medication.

Ken.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I would have thought a couple of boxes worth, in Freo bags, in a little hand sized freezer bag, stored inside my main luggage, should stay cool for 24 hours or so?

Do I need a docs letter though? My visa application had a section where I told them I was diabetic, and they've had all kinds of medical information. I really get annoyed when docs ask you to pay for them to write a couple of lines saying your diabetic and on xyz insulin, especially when the immigration people are aware!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It's not the high temperatures you might encounter. It is the freezing temperatures in the holds of a lot of Aircraft !! This will kill the Insulin. A complete waste of your efforts.

Some people have mentioned they haven't had letters with them. Some people have also been stopped and faced sanctions. That is up to you. If you do get stopped you had better have a good excuse. Australia is not renowned for it's welcome to travellers with any sort of drugs.

As to cost ? Personally a few pounds to the Doc for the peace of mind you have in knowing you are doing it right is far better.

Immigration and Airport Security are two very different beasts.

Here is some more info from our main site. Check the advice regarding Insulin ?
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/travel.html

Ken.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi, I'm an Aussie but on the other side of the coast you are headed. I would say you should get the letter from your doctor as it will be useful for internal travel (where you don't produce info for immigration) as well as international. Australia is not friendly to things being brought into the country but more for security and quarantine than anything else. You will certainly not be a rarity carrying insulin with you. Check with your airline but I think you will find you can only take 150ml of liquid with you on a plane these days. If you carry food on the plane, even lollies, make sure you declare anything on arrival and check the correct box on the form you get on the plane.

As for the sun and temps. Wear sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses and a shirt with sleeves. As for your insulin I would imagine you are going to have access to a fridge for any spares and as long as you don't leave what you are using sitting in the sun or a hot car it should be fine. There are some good packs you can buy from chemists that keep a steady temperature. I use a diabete-ezy pack. It is winter here now and it does get cold over in Perth. North to Darwin it is still hot every day but not in the South of the country. By the time it gets really hot you will be sorted with how to travel.

Look after yourself with the time change and have a great flight. You might not want to ever go back!

Jen.

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
HI Jen and others... Thanks for the info.

I'm going to get the docs to do a letter - I can claim it back at the end of the day, so a few quid isn't going to break the bank.

I will be staying in Perth for a year as I'm working there, but have 8 weeks, and weekends holiday so scope to travel a bit. I really wanna go NT and see the tribal side of Oz!

Is there a limit to what I can bring in, personal meds wise? Just I have boxes of insulin in the fridge at home and it seems crazy to not bring these few pens with me. The only option I can see is to throw away meds and get "fresh" in Oz, but I really hate to see meds of any kinds wasted or thrown away - I see a lot of that in my job and I know how much it costs to waste! Just being conscientious really!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Here is a link to the FCO website with information about travel and mediacl arrangements that are in place with Australia. Pre-existing medical conditions may not be covered.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and ... mmary&pg=1

Here is a link to a site specifically for Diaabetics who are travelling abroad with Insulin. I have no idea of the quantity you are taking as to whether it will fit in your hand luggage ?

http://www.travelhealth.co.uk/advice/diabetic.htm

You should also check with your carrier and Airport Security if you want a smooth trip.

Ken.