Type 1 300km bike ride from Paris to Dijon

Yiannim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying still
I am type 1 and I have to train for a bike ride I am doing in May 2017 from Paris to Dijon (300km) over 3 days...I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some tips on training and what to look out for. I.e. What to eat, what to carry with me, are there any must haves, equipment etc :)

Thank you in advance guys

Happy new year to you all as well

Health and happiness is the key for anyone's wellbeing :)

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well done sir and good luck
do you train in time blocks i wonder you do not say if you are on a pump
the reason i say ref to time if i got for a walk say 30 mins i need 15 gem of carbs to cover and reduce my insulin basel by 20 %
now if i go for 60 mins 15 grams to start another 15grams on the30 mins check blood sugar every30 mins give you an idea what is going on basel at maybe 70 %
so try plan you ride with this in mind you must know by what you do now suggesting try a FRRE STYLE LIBRE
COST FOR 2 SENSORS AND UNIT about £150-00 but will be worth it when sensor fitted to your arm it last 14 days and you can check with a swipe every 5 mins if you have to or do it every hour or so
good luck BUT WE DO NEED MORE INF WHAT YOU ARE CONTROL BY INSULIN WISE
PS WILL THIS BE ON A JUST GIVEING PAGE ????????

happy new year vic

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
I am type 1 and I have to train for a bike ride I am doing in May 2017 from Paris to Dijon (300km) over 3 days...I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some tips on training and what to look out for. I.e. What to eat, what to carry with me, are there any must haves, equipment etc :)

That's really awesome! I'm no cycling expert at all but I'm interest to do something like that in a foreseeing future! Gonna do some research about it and if I find something useful, I'll post it here!
Good luck!!

Reactions: Yiannim

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi there,
Team Blood Glucose have a lot of experience with multi day endurance cycling events. If you would like to get in touch, they will be able to offer you advice. http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Contact.html

Reactions: Yiannim

Yiannim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying still
Hi All, thank you very much for your comments. I will be posting my journey on here once i start training. Hopefully what i learn through trial and error i can pass it on to the wider community :) Hope you are all well and healthy :) keep the posts coming :)

Yiannim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying still
Hi there,
Team Blood Glucose have a lot of experience with multi day endurance cycling events. If you would like to get in touch, they will be able to offer you advice. http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Contact.html
I have emailed you guys as suggested above. Very grateful for reaching out to me. I look forward to gaining a better insight to better manage this journey :) many thanks again :)

Reactions: Bebo321

Yiannim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying still
That's really awesome! I'm no cycling expert at all but I'm interest to do something like that in a foreseeing future! Gonna do some research about it and if I find something useful, I'll post it here!
Good luck!!
Thank you so much, Ill keep you posted on progress and how things go - maybe you can take some of my experience and apply it to yours in the future :) keep smiling :)

Yiannim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying still
Bumping this for you @Yiannim as I believe it may have been missed over the holiday period.
Thank you, i am still getting familiar with the sight and the user ability of the sight. Ill get there.. Thank you for your comments and please feel free to drop a line or 2 with any support or suggestions :) keep smiling :)

Yiannim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying still
@Bebo321 One for you I think.
Brilliant :) i love technology and i am gadget geek. i have the libre and i find it very useful. I am frustrated that they have not developed an app for the iPhone yet...grrrr...i also have a Garmin forerunner735XT and as it works via bluetooth i would love to have the knowledge to develop an add on to read the libre on the watch :)

Yiannim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying still
well done sir and good luck
do you train in time blocks i wonder you do not say if you are on a pump
the reason i say ref to time if i got for a walk say 30 mins i need 15 gem of carbs to cover and reduce my insulin basel by 20 %
now if i go for 60 mins 15 grams to start another 15grams on the30 mins check blood sugar every30 mins give you an idea what is going on basel at maybe 70 %
so try plan you ride with this in mind you must know by what you do now suggesting try a FRRE STYLE LIBRE
COST FOR 2 SENSORS AND UNIT about £150-00 but will be worth it when sensor fitted to your arm it last 14 days and you can check with a swipe every 5 mins if you have to or do it every hour or so
good luck BUT WE DO NEED MORE INF WHAT YOU ARE CONTROL BY INSULIN WISE
PS WILL THIS BE ON A JUST GIVEING PAGE ????????

happy new year vic

thank you for sharing your knowledge with me - its greatly appreciated. I train in blocks yes - but ill start propper training ion a few weeks. i love technology and i am gadget geek. i have the libre and i find it very useful. I am frustrated that they have not developed an app for the iPhone yet...grrrr...i also have a Garmin forerunner735XT and as it works via bluetooth i would love to have the knowledge to develop an add on to read the libre on the watch :) ill share my just giving page here - you guys are the best thank you

Yiannim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying still
Hi all so today I went for my first training session. I went to bed the night before an my blood sugar was 5.6..I was very restless on my nights sleep and I only managed to sleep 4.30hours...with 40min deep sleep...I guess I was eager to go out and bike! Anyway, I set off at 630am and my blood sugar from 10 rose to 15.4 before setting off...I didn't have any breakfast...I managed to complete a 32km bike ride in 2 hours...when I got home I was 13.2 and after 20 min it rose to 16.4...I've carried out 6 units as I will also eat some breakfast...strange that the sugars rose...anyway, I'll keep a blog here on my progress... hope you are all well :) have a beautiful Sunday :)

Reactions: Freema

Coopsman1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on your first outing. Would you mind giving a break down of events? (When testing, carb intake etc)

Whilst reading your post I was curious as to why your levels rose from 5 before bed to 10. I am guessing the lack of sleep and excitement, but have you considered fasting tests? The aim is to rise or drop no more than 1.7.

Back on point....seriously well d