4.6 to 9.9 after a handful of chips! Shocked …is it possible?

Zippy1st

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been avoiding carbs and sugars so tonight I thought treat night as Saturday night mean with hubbie.

We had a non alcoholic beer, tomato with balsamic and mozzarella , hi-low carb bread (5 carbs), steak, peas, pepper sauce with loads of cream and butter, and no more than ten triple fry chips. So I am shocked at more than 5 point jump. I am underweight and pre diabetic and trying to get my Hba1c (45)test down. I am depressed as it seems that any form of potato spikes me. Will I always be like this? I was
Triggered into all this by high dose statins which I stopped having two weeks ago advice sought please.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be
The beer
The tomatoes
The balsamic
The bread
The peas
The chips
The oil The chips fried in
Or more likely the combination of them all.
Did you jump come down again nice and quickly?
Don't beat yourself up, just make sure tomorrow is back to low carb. We all need a nice treat every so often :)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could be
The beer
The tomatoes
The balsamic
The bread
The peas
The chips
The oil The chips fried in
Or more likely the combination of them all.
Did you jump come down again nice and quickly?
Don't beat yourself up, just make sure tomorrow is back to low carb. We all need a nice treat every so often :)
But you are only considering the food.
It could also be
- any exercise
- any stress
- a bad night’s sleep (or lack of an afternoon siesta)
- start of a cold :)
….

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I ate all those foods together as a T2 no meds I would see a rise like that, likely higher, @MrsA2 listed all the foods that contain carbs and using my conservative guesstimate there could be at least 35 -40g carbs there, probably more. @In Response has a point that it’s not always food and its a good point but as a T2 for me eliminating the possibly of the rise from food would be my first thoughts, then if I can assure myself that it’s not what I’ve eaten then I would look at other things. But I would always check my carb intake first as 9 times out of 10 that would be the most likely cause for me

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
You are lucky to be able to get your BG down as low as 4.6. Despite being in remission nearly 4yrs now, I can count the number of time that mine has been below 6.0 on 2 hands! Still, I have never felt the desire for a 'cheat' meal in that time an so it has not been above 8.0 either more than that (despite minor infections).

MimT

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd have thought the mixed meal might have moderated the blood glucose but, as others have said, it could have been any of the foods or a combination.

How long after the meal did you take the reading? Did you take a second reading for confirmation? I've found that sometimes two finger-tip readings can be different for no known reason other than the fact that there is an error margin. I think the standard is +/- 15%, although the one I use claims +/- 10%.

I admit I freaked out a bit when my blood glucose spiked to 10 mmol/L after a snack. then I realised it was just a reminder that I'm pre-diabetic and to continue to watch what I eat.

Beating-My-Betes

But you are only considering the food.
It could also be
- any exercise
- any stress
- a bad night’s sleep (or lack of an afternoon siesta)
- start of a cold :)
….
not to mention the extent to which physiological insulin resistance might affect the readings, for low-carbers.

If the OP wants to specifically isolate the carbs as the reason for the rise, then repeating the meal with everything the same, but for the chips, might give a clearer idea. Of course, putting eating carbohydrates will natureally result in a rise in BS. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue if the level drops within the expect time-period. Unfortunately, such a mix of food and alcohol would likely extend the high for an extended period of time.

Edited: Apparently can't 'English' any more

Last edited:

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with everything said above. In passing, I have also found that if I don't have anything carby, ie less than 35 g, for several days then I have something carby there is a much greater rise in my blood sugars. It's like my body is caught off guard.

Beating-My-Betes

It's like my body is caught off guard.
As a diesel car would if you filled it with 2-star. If your body is in a ketotic stat (likely for you at 35g) you're primed to burn fat as fuel. It takes a few days eating higher carbs (Those who will take an OGTT are advised to eat 3 days of carbs at 150g) to get back to a state where carbs cn be better tolerated, just as it took a few days of low carb to get into ketosis.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a diesel car would if you filled it with 2-star. If your body is in a ketotic stat (likely for you at 35g) you're primed to burn fat as fuel. It takes a few days eating higher carbs (Those who will take an OGTT are advised to eat 3 days of carbs at 150g) to get back to a state where carbs cn be better tolerated, just as it took a few days of low carb to get into ketosis.
I'm not doing the very low carb diet anymore. It didn't make enough of a difference to my blood sugars. That said I'm just consuming more fruit. My body is much more tolerant of fructose now since being 100% gluten free. Also I'm on a drug now that forces my pancreas to produce more insulin, so life is all good at the moment. :)

Zippy1st

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, some really helpful replies there. I would not have thought of alcohol free beer, half a beef tomato and peas would even have figured. Why the vinegar? I look at carbs on a packet ( nothing on a tomato!) but I am never sure how to count carbs. Do you have to weigh everything?
My high score was two hours after eating. I had a carb slump feeling so went to bed, then my heart started racing) but not for any good reason!

I am trying to go low carb, I am ok with porridge, all bran, and low carb bread but anything else is difficult. Exercise…mm, well a mile walk every other day… sometimes longer but no time or inclination for the gym. Dancing is a thing… but occasions are rare. I was stunned when a fast paced walk to the village PO took me to 3.6 but that was a one off. I usually walk with hubbie and he is a SLOW walker!
Anyway, I do listen to all you folks say.Thank you.

Reactions: flonvic

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, some really helpful replies there. I would not have thought of alcohol free beer, half a beef tomato and peas would even have figured. Why the vinegar?
So just the things you mention here - not including the chips, bread etc
Alcohol free beer depending on brand a 330ml bottle can be between 15 - 20g carb
3 tablespoons of peas - which sound a lot but it’s not that many - probably considered a small portion 7g carb
Beef tomato about 6g carb for a whole one so 3g for 1/2
Now then brace yourself! - vinegars such as apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, nice and low in carbs and also very good for you and many use apple cider vinegar to help control BG, THEN you’ve got balsamic vinegar that goes through a very different process which makes it very sweet and concentrated in sugars and can be up to 10g carb per tablespoon! If it’s a balsamic glaze then that can be 20g tablespoon

So just those 4 things could have been at best 30g carbs - at worst 40g carb then you’ve got the bread, the chips, there’s also up to 2g carb per 100g in mozzarella cheese depending on brand. Carbs can add up very quickly if we aren’t aware

Looking at your meal as someone on keto I would have had the steak, the peppercorn sauce only after checking if all it was was cream a bit of brandy & peppercorns - shop bought ones can have sugar added (I know :rolleyes:) the beef Tom & the mozzarella, probably drizzled with EVOO.

to drink I’d probably have had a spirit with either soda or diet tonic or Pepsi depending on said spirit or just sparkling water if having no alcohol

Probably would have estimated meal between 6 - 8g carb - if I’d fancied some “chips” would have probably done some roasted celeriac cubes or chips adding another 2-3g carb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plain vinegar is OK, but balsamic can be quite sugary and high in carbs, especially if its one that has had sugar added to save the expenses of maturing it for years in cask! Feel it, its sticky, always a give away.

With the beer it's not the alcohol that is carby but the sugars and wheat and grains its made with. Some are lower carb than others.

Although the portions you had were small, they may have a cumulative effect... or you may be harbouring an infection, or be lacking sleep etc.

More testing is needed over more meals. A cgm, a libre for example may well be useful if costly. Abbott do a 2 week free tial then it's £50 every 2 weeks but a couple of months should tell you enough.

I'm surprised if you can eat porridge, and all bran without raised bg, they are kryptonite for most of us, but more frequent testing will show over time.

Wholemeal doesn't equal low carb

Zippy1st

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So just the things you mention here - not including the chips, bread etc
Alcohol free beer depending on brand a 330ml bottle can be between 15 - 20g carb
3 tablespoons of peas - which sound a lot but it’s not that many - probably considered a small portion 7g carb
Beef tomato about 6g carb for a whole one so 3g for 1/2
Now then brace yourself! - vinegars such as apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, nice and low in carbs and also very good for you and many use apple cider vinegar to help control BG, THEN you’ve got balsamic vinegar that goes through a very different process which makes it very sweet and concentrated in sugars and can be up to 10g carb per tablespoon! If it’s a balsamic glaze then that can be 20g tablespoon

So just those 4 things could have been at best 30g carbs - at worst 40g carb then you’ve got the bread, the chips, there’s also up to 2g carb per 100g in mozzarella cheese depending on brand. Carbs can add up very quickly if we aren’t aware

Looking at your meal as someone on keto I would have had the steak, the peppercorn sauce only after checking if all it was was cream a bit of brandy & peppercorns - shop bought ones can have sugar added (I know :rolleyes:) the beef Tom & the mozzarella, probably drizzled with EVOO.

to drink I’d probably have had a spirit with either soda or diet tonic or Pepsi depending on said spirit or just sparkling water if having no alcohol

Probably would have estimated meal between 6 - 8g carb - if I’d fancied some “chips” would have probably done some roasted celeriac cubes or chips adding another 2-3g carb
Amazing. I guess I was polishing my halo with alcohol free ( rare for me as Malbec is my Friday go-to). Yes I made the sauce and yes evoo but I guess as folks are saying, things add up. I had chips and steak in February without the big spike so I was really dismayed. Maybe I need to look into keto. Generally speaking, what techniques are people using to determine carb level?
I love balsamic, another loss, and celeriac is just a bit too niche for me. Maybe I need to educate my palate more.

Reactions: flonvic

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing. I guess I was polishing my halo with alcohol free ( rare for me as Malbec is my Friday go-to). Yes I made the sauce and yes evoo but I guess as folks are saying, things add up. I had chips and steak in February without the big spike so I was really dismayed. Maybe I need to look into keto. Generally speaking, what techniques are people using to determine carb level?
I love balsamic, another loss, and celeriac is just a bit too niche for me. Maybe I need to educate my palate more.
you’re pre diabetic so maybe you don’t have to go keto but just different choices with the carbs you do eat. You may still be able to have the balsamic vinegar just not along with all the other carbs at the same time. I do have a drizzle of aged balsamic that was gifted to me its a traditional aged one rather than mass produced one I use it sparely- usually mix it as a dressing with a good oil to go further. So choose between the bread, peas, balsamic even the 10 chips but not have all at the same time.

None of us are angels and we all succumb now and then, like tonight I nicked 2 of my hubby’s XL cheese crisps - they’re a northern delicacy best served crushed in the bag with a pickled egg and it kills me every time he has a bag. It’s all about portion size and balance and you’ll find your balance it just takes time. I’ve been doing this 14 years and still learn something most days and slip up on occasions too. You’re doing fine
Oh the Malbec- much better choice than the beer;) but if you do like a lager there is one call skinny lager that isn’t no alcohol but is only 3g carb a bottle. I’ll tag @KennyA who is very knowledgeable on low carb beer & lagers

• Useful
Reactions: Outlier and Antje77

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - there ARE a few decent low carb beers around. Skinny lager is not one, in my opinion. Yes it's low carb, but it isn't anything I'd enjoy drinking. For another, Michelob Ultra. I'd sooner have soda water.

On the plus side:

Marstons do a low carb beer called Resolution at around 3g/330 ml: there was for a time a couple of excellent beers under the Salute brand, but they appear to have dropped off the face of the earth. I've found a new brewery - Westbrook - that is doing four low carb lagers, all excellent. These come in at around 1 and 2g carb per 330ml can, and actually taste like proper beer. None of these is low alcohol, and at least two of Westbrook's are gluten free.

There's a low carb beer thread on here...can't find it, and I think I started it....

here it is

Beating-My-Betes

I'm not doing the very low carb diet anymore. It didn't make enough of a difference to my blood sugars. That said I'm just consuming more fruit. My body is much more tolerant of fructose now since being 100% gluten free. Also I'm on a drug now that forces my pancreas to produce more insulin, so life is all good at the moment. :)
Really glad to hear you can eat fruit again. Fruit is great!

Reactions: Melgar