Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck Pipp!

Have you tried a week on carnivore diet

Lots of people having good success on it.

Keep your chin up

Best wishes

Rab

Thanks, @rab5 . That is one to keep in the folder. For now I am sticking with plan to low carb with moderate fat, in 8 hour window. If after two weeks I am still seeing high fasting level, will reconsider.

Reactions: rab5

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp - Are your prescribed VitD supplements (assuming you're on a maintenance dose) a high enough dosage?

It seems, from my various reading, that the doses often prescribed, both as a loading and maintenance are a bit on the modest side.

As I understand it, decent levels of Vit D can make the world seem a better place.
Yes, I am on prescribed Vit D, as it was very low about 3 years ago. Hardly surprising as Too much exposure to sun causes allergic skin reaction, so I have to stay in the shade, or go out early in the morning or in the evening. The recent blood tests show adequate levels.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But for someone, like @Pipp , whom I believe isn't able to be in it much, that could be a red herring.
Yup, I look like a red herring after being in the sun. :D
Its like a vicious circle.
Infections due to higher bgs which cause higher bgs and meds which cause higher bgs.
I understand lower immune system as we get older... for sure. Even none diabetics.
Happiness is a great boost to the immune system.
Enjoy the fact you are doing brilliantly.
Like you say, compared to your past situation of being bed bound.
Life is very very good, even with infection and a higher hba1c.
Happiness cannot be replaced by anything else.
Your attitude is a very true credit which will continue being a winner.
Your plans are great for others to follow for reversal.
Reversal is the holy grail and if only we were a pc so we can only have the same varients longterm and a permanent reversal status.
Your other unwanted variants need some attention once in reversal?
Is anything can be done to improve those other health problems so they can give you a less problematic future?
I know asthma can be improved or no longer a problem to some who lose alot of weight (bariatric figures). Exercise to strengthen immune and prevent inflammation. Inflammation is a huge culprit to asthma.
A diet focused on reducing inflammation which is low carb.

I'm sure you have further plans to just returning to reversal.
If anyone can..... it's you!
@ickihun, thanks for your concern and encouragement. I can assure you that I am generally very happy. Life is so much better than it was 10 years ago. I laugh with loved ones daily. I think I only moan to online friends.
To be clear, I have not been 'bed bound' ever. I have needed to use a wheelchair, but that was due to spinal injury following RTA and damage from abdominal surgery. I still weigh a lot less that I did at my heaviest, though still in obese range and not concerned too much about that, because I know I do my best, and contolling BG and other symptoms is my priority. The asthma is allergy related, only comes on when I have a cold or chest infection, or something triggers an allergic response. I do agree it would be easier if I weighed less, though. I exercise in the swimming pool at least 4 hours a week, though I have to take time off that if I am ill. I have been going to an adapted gym for people with mobility difficulty twice a week too. I generally can't walk very far, but on days I can I go for it. Life is what it is.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yup, I look like a red herring after being in the sun. :D

@ickihun, thanks for your concern and encouragement. I can assure you that I am generally very happy. Life is so much better than it was 10 years ago. I laugh with loved ones daily. I think I only moan to online friends.
To be clear, I have not been 'bed bound' ever. I have needed to use a wheelchair, but that was due to spinal injury following RTA and damage from abdominal surgery. I still weigh a lot less that I did at my heaviest, though still in obese range and not concerned too much about that, because I know I do my best, and contolling BG and other symptoms is my priority. The asthma is allergy related, only comes on when I have a cold or chest infection, or something triggers an allergic response. I do agree it would be easier if I weighed less, though. I exercise in the swimming pool at least 4 hours a week, though I have to take time off that if I am ill. I have been going to an adapted gym for people with mobility difficulty twice a week too. I generally can't walk very far, but on days I can I go for it. Life is what it is.
And you have reversed your diabetes over and over again.
A fantastic accumplishment with all your other concerns.
There's hope for my first official reversal too.
I keep hearing little doubts saying I still won't have reversal after op. However you do give me hope.
It is possible.

I constantly hear weight loss is the only way.
I know out of experience I can be heavy and in reversal.
When I did ivf I would have thought a hba1c would have been done even though not diabetic officially then??? St Thomas's London. PCOS was already diagnosed thou and I used slimming tablets and metformin to get to 15and a half stone from nearly 17st. I was 28yrs old.
Once metformin was stopped I added 2st in 2mths. Maybe came out of reversal... again.??

I'm convinced weight loss, for me, is my key to reversal.
No matter which way its done.

Reactions: feniangirl

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ickihun I agree weight loss is vital, and as long as the pancreas hasn't packed up then there is a fair chance blood glucose levels levels will become non-diabetic for some.

As far as I am aware there has been much success following bariatric surgery.

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, @Rachox. I have been lurking for a while, so I have read @daisy1 newbie info. BTW I just just posted a new thread, perhaps you can advise on that? Thank you.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Moving in the right direction now which is an achievement, the upward trend has not only stopped but gone into reverse. As I have posted elsewhere, the heat wave will not have helped you but with cooler weather the numbers should fall more.

Reactions: Pipp

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Progress but not as much as you had hoped. At least it's in the right direction so keep going.

BarbaraDavies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that's brilliant, only just in the diabetic range and number a lot of people would be seriously chuffed with! Well done you.

P

pollensa

Today, with heavy heart, I am removing my 'reversed diabetes' banner. I have, for 7 years, been proud of the non-diabetes levels, but yesterday got the news that my latest HbA1c was 52. The nurse was very kind and gentle about it. "That is excellent control", she declared. Yerr what! Not for me it isn't. I really appreciate her not wanting to upset me, but sometimes we need a bit of a jolt.

I wasn't surprised, really. I have several medical conditions, and depending on the severity of symptoms, each takes it turn in being the one needing most effort to control. This last few months the need to breathe has been the priority, and I have needed several courses of steroid meds just so I could. I have seen blood glucose levels rise from average of under 6 to double figures, the highest being 18. I also gained 5 kg, and felt quite lethargic and sleepy.

I like a challenge, but this is a biggy! I did the May fast with several others on here, and that kick started some weight loss. I had been feeling like a Michelin man or Marshmallow man before that, with much water retention, and very swollen ankles. I lost 3kg with that, and a further 7kg since using VLCD. I have visible ankle bones again.

Not all gloom and doom. Nurse agreed that the steroids are the most likely cause, so I am to repeat the HbA1c in 6 weeks. I so want to return to 'reversed' status. That is my intention. Continuing a few more weeks with VLCD, keeping low carb, and of course I have a few more weapons in the armoury. Intermittent fasting, LCHF, one meal a day, 5:2, etc. I have accepted offer of Metformin. (I have never had the problems some report, when I have used it in the past) . I have been exercising but will increase that. Just need to avoid picking up a cold, or having anything trigger asthma, as that starts the downward spiral again and as much as they are a lifesaver, I can do without having steroid meds again.

Aiming for previously below prediabetes levels that I have held for 7 years. Realistically, having had T2 for almost 14 years, with no apparent complications, I will take anything below 48 when I have next test.

Positive thinking is the order of the day! amazing you have controlled so well 7 years, if you did it once, you can do it again!!!
yes, there are other issues on top, putting those aside for a moment, you are one of the few out there, who obviously have the will power, determination and motivation that has achieved your "reversed diabetes status", YOU, AND YOU ALONE!!!

Yes a set back, but always a solution for all, and in your case, you have the experience to know how to do it, in your time, from your post, I have full confidence you will achieve that Reversed diabetes label again, and possibly sooner than later, so good luck, and chin up.

Mallorca

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks folks, for your support and encouragement.
Weight loss has stalled, but none been regained. I can't help but feel more than a little envious when I read how some folks start low carbing and weight falls off. For some of us, that just doesn't happen. I am staying with low carb, and keeping on with exercise, though perhaps will reduce the fat a little. Have rather enjoyed plenty of butter, cheese etc, but this last two weeks or so have not felt much like eating. I think after antibiotics my gut bacteria will be totally out of whack. Trying live yogurt to restore the balance a bit. After that will move to two low carb meals a day, in as short a time scale as possible, so that there will be around 19-20 hours fasting most days. Will also have a one 24 -36 hour fast a week. The only thing I am bothered about is the early morning blood glucose readings, they are always highest with average of 7.2 the last few weeks. Wondering if a teaspoonful of double cream when I wake up will sort that, but that would break the fast.
On a positive note, there have been no double figure BG readings. Just need to make sure I avoid catching cold or cough, as that would start the whole antibiotic / steroid cycle all over again.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here we are, mid-November. HbA1c test looming. It will be at the end of the month when I have annual medical checks for another health condition.

I have for the last 4 weeks or so been struggling to eat much at all, due to that other, more challenging health condition. I had been alternating between fasting from evening meal 7pm until lunch the following day around 1:30pm, keeping low carb and increasing fat content. That meant reducing amount of veg, and adding cream to coffee. I found that I didn't have much of an appetite. In fact, I have felt bloated, full, after only small amounts of food. What I also found was that fasting BG kept increasing until I ate, so needed to eat something earlier, even though I didn't feel like.

I had a sort of melt down / burn out, because it feels so frustrating to be doing all that is advised and still not seeing the weight loss, or reduced fasting BG, and feeling quite ill. So for two weeks or so I have left the meter in its case. I have eaten small amounts of what little I have felt like eating, toast and banana have featured, but mainly chicken soup and beef bone broth. I even made use of some meal replacement shakes. Upper left abdominal discomfort that has prevented me enjoying food, that I believed was a problem with pancreas, turns out to be enlarged spleen. The investigations for that are ongoing, but most likely connected to a problem with my immune system.
After a break I started tested fasting BG gain yesterday, 5.8 on waking, 7.1 two hours later, without food.
I no longer have a plan. Just taking each day as it comes. And crossing fingers that I have improved diabetes management.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so sorry you are struggling with your health, @Pipp I had been wondering where you were and what was happening to you.
Sending you my best wishes and positive vibes. Hugs. x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sad to hear you’re having such a tough time Pipp, best of luck for your upcoming review xx

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Pipp it is normal for our bodies to increase BG when we have an infection, therefore it may be best for you to forget about BG until you know what is going on with your enlarged spleen.

"toast and banana" would not be my choice of food, but nice soaps (regardless of carb content) could be very sensible.