Reactions: Pipp

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs @Pipp sorry to hear you are struggling and best wishes for your upcoming review.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh @Pipp , really sorry to hear this. I think maybe your HbA1c will be better than you think….I hope so anyway. Hugs from me too.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Taking each day as it comes is all we can ever do, eat when you want to eat and don't try to force yourself well - it doesn't work in my experience. Hope you are soon feeling better.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here we are, mid-November. HbA1c test looming. It will be at the end of the month when I have annual medical checks for another health condition.

I have for the last 4 weeks or so been struggling to eat much at all, due to that other, more challenging health condition. I had been alternating between fasting from evening meal 7pm until lunch the following day around 1:30pm, keeping low carb and increasing fat content. That meant reducing amount of veg, and adding cream to coffee. I found that I didn't have much of an appetite. In fact, I have felt bloated, full, after only small amounts of food. What I also found was that fasting BG kept increasing until I ate, so needed to eat something earlier, even though I didn't feel like.

I had a sort of melt down / burn out, because it feels so frustrating to be doing all that is advised and still not seeing the weight loss, or reduced fasting BG, and feeling quite ill. So for two weeks or so I have left the meter in its case. I have eaten small amounts of what little I have felt like eating, toast and banana have featured, but mainly chicken soup and beef bone broth. I even made use of some meal replacement shakes. Upper left abdominal discomfort that has prevented me enjoying food, that I believed was a problem with pancreas, turns out to be enlarged spleen. The investigations for that are ongoing, but most likely connected to a problem with my immune system.
After a break I started tested fasting BG gain yesterday, 5.8 on waking, 7.1 two hours later, without food.
I no longer have a plan. Just taking each day as it comes. And crossing fingers that I have improved diabetes management.

Hugs, @Pipp. I hope they figure out what's wrong and can help. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks folks for your concern, and kind comments. You have certainly helped my emotional wellbeing.
I would add that toast and banana would not be my usual choice of foods, but sometimes diabetes is not the biggest battle to be faced, and a half slice of toast being the only solid food I could manage, was just what I needed that particular day. As was the banana a different day.
Today the menu has been chicken soup, and beef bone broth.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sending you hugs and well wishes @Pipp. I admire your sticktoittiveness (is that a word!?) despite all that is going on right now. I also admire your wisdom in knowing that "sometimes diabetes is not the biggest battle to be faced". So unless one has walked in your shoes, including myself here, we need to show compassion, grace and encouragement.....Blessings/L And thank you for all that you have contributed to helping all of us on our journey with diabetes.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks folks for your concern, and kind comments. You have certainly helped my emotional wellbeing.
I would add that toast and banana would not be my usual choice of foods, but sometimes diabetes is not the biggest battle to be faced, and a half slice of toast being the only solid food I could manage, was just what I needed that particular day. As was the banana a different day.
Do whatever you need to do for your own well-being. It that's banana and toast, so be it. Hope you feel better soon!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp hoping you feel better soon and they get you sorted. As I found earlier this year sometimes diabetes needs to take a back seat when other health issues arise and, with an hba1c of 49, you are still relatively well controlled so have some leeway. You need to do what is best for you and if that means eating something you normally wouldn’t do it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Late November HbA1c result found today in Patient Access notes was 48. So the downward trend is continuing, albeit very slowly. So not putting the 'reversed ' banner back up yet. Will see what next HbA1c end of Feb brings. Staying on Metformin for now, too. I need all the help I can get.

The discomfort eating is due to enlarged spleen, so a change of meds for immune system condition, also, have adhesions from previous 6 abdominal surgeries. A bit of watching and waiting for that.
I plod on low carbing, and eating small portions. AND being anti-social to avoid situations were I can pick up coughs and colds, as I don't want to start the whole cycle of steroids and infections again.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Late November HbA1c result found today in Patient Access notes was 48. So the downward trend is continuing, albeit very slowly. So not putting the 'reversed ' banner back up yet. Will see what next HbA1c end of Feb brings. Staying on Metformin for now, too. I need all the help I can get.

The discomfort eating is due to enlarged spleen, so a change of meds for immune system condition, also, have adhesions from previous 6 abdominal surgeries. A bit of watching and waiting for that.
I plod on low carbing, and eating small portions. AND being anti-social to avoid situations were I can pick up coughs and colds, as I don't want to start the whole cycle of steroids and infections again.

Going in the right direction, Pipp! And antisocial beats the flu all day long! Keep it up lass.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That’s lovely news Pipp, yes keep away from the bugs, I dread sitting next to someone coughing and sneezing viruses all over everywhere this time of year :nailbiting: This time last year I picked up a cold and that combined with my asthma lead to a chest infection which didn’t do much for my blood sugars :(

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Good news that you are starting to win on the blood sugar front let’s just hope that your other health issues become more manageable take care and well done on your persistence and hard work with low carb eating in the face of your other problems

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Good news @Pipp if you continue to avoid the lurgy you should have the banner back in Feb.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, glad the numbers are drifting in the right direction!

Every time i get a virus/bug it is because of some plague carrier mixing with the general populace when they should know better. Last time was an overcrowded work meeting. Time before that I’m pretty sure it was eating out. Lovely thought, eh?

You are very sensible to take sensible precautions against unnecessary exposure, if you have a compromised immune system.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really well done, @Pipp. Great results and well deserved. If things continue this way, February's results will even be better. Hope you'll be able to avoid the flu (and everything else). Keeping my fingers crossed