45 mile walk

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I returned home yesterday having completed a 45 mile coastal walk on the Gower Peninsula in Wales. Despite some interesting weather (Storm Hannah) and some challenging headlands, we had a great time. The scenery was fantastic and the terrain varied. Before the Type 2 diagnosis I would not ever have attempted this but LCHF, exercise and weight loss have enabled me, at the age of 64, to complete my first long distance walk comfortably and without tiredness. It can be done!!!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Great stuff and a beautiful route.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I returned home yesterday having completed a 45 mile coastal walk on the Gower Peninsula in Wales. Despite some interesting weather (Storm Hannah) and some challenging headlands, we had a great time. The scenery was fantastic and the terrain varied. Before the Type 2 diagnosis I would not ever have attempted this but LCHF, exercise and weight loss have enabled me, at the age of 64, to complete my first long distance walk comfortably and without tiredness. It can be done!!!

Huge well done! I feel tired just reading about it.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Thank you for all your lovely comments. I did not have much confidence in my ability to keep going over this distance. Now I'm chuffed and just want to have a go at another route!

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for all your lovely comments. I did not have much confidence in my ability to keep going over this distance. Now I'm chuffed and just want to have a go at another route!

How about the 3 peaks? Snowdon, Ben Nevis and Scafell? Not all in one day, of course!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
How about the 3 peaks? Snowdon, Ben Nevis and Scafell? Not all in one day, of course!
Oddly enough a friend is celebrating his 70th birthday by attempting the 3 peaks in 24 hours. I shall not be joining him!!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oddly enough a friend is celebrating his 70th birthday by attempting the 3 peaks in 24 hours. I shall not be joining him!!

Very sensible!! Wait for him at the bottom of the last peak - in the pub! Your friend must be very fit for 70.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that is what I call a success story! And a superb area to do a long walk.
How about the Pembrokeshire Coastal path - about 190 miles I think!!!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I did the West Highland Way many years ago, about 90 miles in five days. The longest in one day was 26 miles over Rannoch Moor in 8 hours. Beautiful scenery. I couldn't do that now though.
Well done @Dr Snoddy!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Gee that’s hardcore. Well done.

I’ve done 170 miles this month but I’m not sure I could manage 45 miles in one sitting. Maybe 45 minutes :hilarious:
Just to be absolutely clear Jim, this was over 4 days! However, it is decades since I have got up each day and happily kept walking. Now that I know that I can do this I look forward to having a go at a longer route!