46 mg/dl

abcd99

Free style Libre glucometer is showing the above reading and yet person is feel ok. Is this possible??? Talking about diabetic type 1.I think glucometer gave wrong reading. May be its battery was low.Please help me to understand this.Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @abcd99 The problem with the libre is that it's taking it's reading from interstitial fluid unlike a blood glucose meter which is direct from blood, and there can be a difference of up 20 minutes in accuracy, always back up any 'low' reading with a blood glucose meter test for safety, hope this person was ok ?

abcd99

Hello @abcd99 The problem with the libre is that it's taking it's reading from interstitial fluid unlike a blood glucose meter which is direct from blood, and there can be a difference of up 20 minutes in accuracy, always back up any 'low' reading with a blood glucose meter test for safety, hope this person was ok ?
Thank you Juicyj for your reply. Yes the person is my son and as he went to take shower leaving the glucometer open on his table, I saw his last 3 reading which were 85 with a symbol of red drop........after that 46 and after that 46 , I was shocked, but he was ok came back after shower and was normal... since he does not share anything with us........I could not ask him....so asking my forum family:).Also what is that red drop of blood symbol. ...can you tell me.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
As long as he was ok that's good. As for the red drop of blood symbol, I haven't seen that on the UK libre sensor, my intuition tells me that he did a standard blood glucose test at that point. It may be a good opportunity to try and talk to him about the libre, talking about t1 management on an ongoing basis is important, just to tune in every so often and check he's ok ?

abcd99

As long as he was ok that's good. As for the red drop of blood symbol, I haven't seen that on the UK libre sensor, my intuition tells me that he did a standard blood glucose test at that point. It may be a good opportunity to try and talk to him about the libre, talking about t1 management on an ongoing basis is important, just to tune in every so often and check he's ok ?
can standard blood glucose can be 46 mg/dl......sorry for being so illiterate.........but I really have no idea.......please explain.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not "standard," no, that would be really, really hypo and the person would almost certainly feel terrible.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
can standard blood glucose can be 46 mg/dl......sorry for being so illiterate.........but I really have no idea.......please explain.
Well looking at a conversion chart that is really quite low (I'm in the UK so use the mmol/L range), though note: if it was sensor reading rather than an actual blood test it could be wrong - my libre has shown about that number when I've been anywhere between 2.6 and 5.6 mmol/L (which is about 46 and 100 mg/dl) - for me its very inaccurate if it shows below 5 mmol/L(~90mg/dl).
Sometimes when I'm actually at that level (according to a testing machine rather than the sensor) I have felt perfectly fine (and I've pulled a face at the meter wondering whether it's actually correct), but I have always gone to eat something whether I've felt fine or not at that point.

Reactions: abcd99

abcd99

Well looking at a conversion chart that is really quite low (I'm in the UK so use the mmol/L range), though note: if it was sensor reading rather than an actual blood test it could be wrong - my libre has shown about that number when I've been anywhere between 2.6 and 5.6 mmol/L (which is about 46 and 100 mg/dl) - for me its very inaccurate if it shows below 5 mmol/L(~90mg/dl).
Sometimes when I'm actually at that level (according to a testing machine rather than the sensor) I have felt perfectly fine (and I've pulled a face at the meter wondering whether it's actually correct), but I have always gone to eat something whether I've felt fine or not at that point.
I am so happy to read your reply because it answers my question.........so yes there is possibility that one may be as low as 46 but yet feel fine. Also as you eat something when reading is this, my soon also had his dinner as soon as he came out of shower. So conclusion is that there are all kinds of situations that different kinds of people can experience.......I wish you all the best and lot of happiness.:)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am so happy to read your reply because it answers my question.........so yes there is possibility that one may be as low as 46 but yet feel fine. Also as you eat something when reading is this, my soon also had his dinner as soon as he came out of shower. So conclusion is that there are all kinds of situations that different kinds of people can experience.......I wish you all the best and lot of happiness.:)

Do note that if I'm that low, I'd eat something sugary to get the level up quickly, also note feeling fine does always equate to actually being fine.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
46 is equivalent to a 2.5mmol for the U.K. I woke up with a Libre scan 2.5 this morning, and felt fine. Just chucked some dextrose tabs (5, so 15g carbs) down my neck, rolled over and went back to sleep :rolleyes:

The blood drop on the Libre meter mean that he used it for a fingerprick test rather than a scan - because the scanned readings are 10-15 minutes behind actual blood readings as they measure interstitial fluid, Libre users also verify occasionally with blood readings. So his 85 with the red drop would have been a truer reading than the scanned 46.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that they scan a little lower when hypo, in my case typically by 1mmol, so I wasn’t worried too much about my 2.5 this morning. It’s 5.9 and stable now.

Reactions: BananaK

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s also worth bearing in mind that they scan a little lower when hypo, in my case typically by 1mmol, so I wasn’t worried too much about my 2.5 this morning. It’s 5.9 and stable now.

I had my own experience of this in the early morning today. I’ve become a little too complacent that the Libre will read low, so got a 2.9 and wasn’t concerned, no symptoms, back to sleep.

Not too long after I woke up feeling it and got the “Lo” scan.... better check..... “Lo” blood result too. Oops...

I’ll pay a little more attention next time.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had my own experience of this in the early morning today. I’ve become a little too complacent that the Libre will read low, so got a 2.9 and wasn’t concerned, no symptoms, back to sleep.

Not too long after I woke up feeling it and got the “Lo” scan.... better check..... “Lo” blood result too. Oops...

Easily done, isn’t it? I don’t bother backing up with a blood scan unless it reads LO on the Libre, and I’d stupidly left my blood kit downstairs and was too warm and snuggly to go and get it :sour: And we don’t always think straight when we’re havimg a hypo, do we?

BananaK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Easily done, isn’t it? I don’t bother backing up with a blood scan unless it reads LO on the Libre, and I’d stupidly left my blood kit downstairs and was too warm and snuggly to go and get it :sour: And we don’t always think straight when we’re havimg a hypo, do we?

Yes, but gee I love the Libre!!! “Warm and snuggly” is definitely a barrier to rational diabetes management!

I’m only on sensor 4, but with the new found control I’ve moved my hypo symptoms from 3.9 sweats to barely a thing at 2.5!! Which is both good and a little scary.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes, but gee I love the Libre!!! “Warm and snuggly” is definitely a barrier to rational diabetes management!

I’m only on sensor 4, but with the new found control I’ve moved my hypo symptoms from 3.9 sweats to barely a thing at 2.5!! Which is both good and a little scary.
Same. I’m halfway through sensor 3, and it’s been miraculous. My average blood sugars have gone from the mid teens down to around 6. Im almost looking forward to the next lie detector HbA1c ;)

#libreforeveryone

Reactions: Juicyj

abcd99

46 is equivalent to a 2.5mmol for the U.K. I woke up with a Libre scan 2.5 this morning, and felt fine. Just chucked some dextrose tabs (5, so 15g carbs) down my neck, rolled over and went back to sleep :rolleyes:

The blood drop on the Libre meter mean that he used it for a fingerprick test rather than a scan - because the scanned readings are 10-15 minutes behind actual blood readings as they measure interstitial fluid, Libre users also verify occasionally with blood readings. So his 85 with the red drop would have been a truer reading than the scanned 46.

Thank you for your positive reply. I feel much relieved. Thanks for educating me about what does drop symbol means.......yes there were some strips around that showed he had test his blood by pricking........I will remember that now. Also today I came to know about Interstitial fluid. Also learned that why it scans a bit lower when hypo........I am happy that you are managing your diabetes so well. I hope in another few years we all will get rid of this so called diabetes.......research is on..........God bless you.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I woke up with a Libre scan 2.5 this morning, and felt fine.

Oh well, I just end up looking like an idiot again.

But in all seriousness, at 2.5 I feel

LlzkY_s-200x150.gif

...if I'm even standing up to begin with.

abcd99

Do note that if I'm that low, I'd eat something sugary to get the level up quickly, also note feeling fine does always equate to actually being fine.
Yes I agree and I understand..... I am sure my son knows what he has to do.......but only if he would have shared few words with parents.........anyway..........you all are here to help me in my doubts.........Thanks a lot.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oops, that was meant to be 'feeling fine doesn't always equate to actually being fine' , oops, typing skills failed me again.

abcd99

Don't take risk like this.........eat something and then go to sleep........your health is most important.....for you and your family.:) take care.

Reactions: BananaK