5 Days Of Fish

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just got back from 5 days in Cornwall where I ate fish and/or seafood each day and have never seen such low BG numbers. I had scrambled egg, mushrooms and tomato for breakfast and mostly skipped lunch though the hotel did Mushroom chips and had them a couple of times. In the evenings I had crab salad, mussells and a few frites, or pan fried fish and green veg. My BG numbers were constantly in the 5s even in the morning and one 4 at 4pm. I admit I was drinking more than usual, wine or G&T BUT first meal at home last night, modest portion of chilli beef with cauli rice this morning 7.5. Am seriously considering fish as my protein of choice.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just got back from 5 days in Cornwall where I ate fish and/or seafood each day and have never seen such low BG numbers. I had scrambled egg, mushrooms and tomato for breakfast and mostly skipped lunch though the hotel did Mushroom chips and had them a couple of times. In the evenings I had crab salad, mussells and a few frites, or pan fried fish and green veg. My BG numbers were constantly in the 5s even in the morning and one 4 at 4pm. I admit I was drinking more than usual, wine or G&T BUT first meal at home last night, modest portion of chilli beef with cauli rice this morning 7.5. Am seriously considering fish as my protein of choice.

PenguinMum - I'm glad youseem to have had a great holiday.

To be honest, it's a bit early to say the fish was what made the difference to your numbers, although it usually is a decent option, provided any batter or breadcrumbs is treated with caution.

On holiday, we're more relaxed and are probably just taking things steadier, doing happy things. No rruching around fitting "stuff" in, or dealing with politics of work issues.

Keep testing and see how you go with your food before making big changes.

I love fish, so I can understand the attraction you might feel to it's lure.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PenguinMum - I'm glad youseem to have had a great holiday.

To be honest, it's a bit early to say the fish was what made the difference to your numbers, although it usually is a decent option, provided any batter or breadcrumbs is treated with caution.

On holiday, we're more relaxed and are probably just taking things steadier, doing happy things. No rruching around fitting "stuff" in, or dealing with politics of work issues.

Keep testing and see how you go with your food before making big changes.

I love fish, so I can understand the attraction you might feel to it's lure.
Yes it was a very happy holiday with my nearest and dearest with nothing to think about so you are probably right. Anyway the selection of fish where I live could never match the supply in Cornwall.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This is really interesting, as the only animal protein I eat is fish. Obviously it’s a little different for me as a T1, but I find I have to inject insulin for lean seafood like white fish and prawns, but not fatty fish such as salmon or sardines.

Without wishing to pee on your bonfire, alcohol has a significant blood glucose lowering effect, so if you were drinking more of an evening, it follows that your BG would be lower the next morning, especially as they were low carb drinks such as wine and gin. Your liver will be too busy prioritising the breakdown of the alcohol to feed glucose into your system ready for the morning, it’s not great at multitasking, as clever as it is!

So it might be worth doing some experiments - have another beef chilli with a decent bottle of wine (terrible! ;) ) and try a fish dish with no alcohol ( :( ) and see what the morning after shows.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is really interesting, as the only animal protein I eat is fish. Obviously it’s a little different for me as a T1, but I find I have to inject insulin for lean seafood like white fish and prawns, but not fatty fish such as salmon or sardines.

Without wishing to pee on your bonfire, alcohol has a significant blood glucose lowering effect, so if you were drinking more of an evening, it follows that your BG would be lower the next morning, especially as they were low carb drinks such as wine and gin. Your liver will be too busy prioritising the breakdown of the alcohol to feed glucose into your system ready for the morning, it’s not great at multitasking, as clever as it is!

So it might be worth doing some experiments - have another beef chilli with a decent bottle of wine (terrible! ;) ) and try a fish dish with no alcohol ( :( ) and see what the morning after shows.
Ha ha I am up for that experiment. Next week. Will report back. Btw all my fish on hols was white fish or shellfish or squid.

Reactions: LooperCat

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My 'go to' in this hot weather is frozen seafood made slightly warm by defrosting in warm water, and a heap of salad - and my numbers are equally low.
There is a hypothesis that early Humans spent many millennia beside water, where streams met seas, happily gathering food from both land and water so it is not all that surprising that seafood and salad is easy on the metabolism. Of course the alcohol could have assisted in being laid back and being on holiday in Cornwall you should have been just about horizontal.

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 'go to' in this hot weather is frozen seafood made slightly warm by defrosting in warm water, and a heap of salad - and my numbers are equally low.
There is a hypothesis that early Humans spent many millennia beside water, where streams met seas, happily gathering food from both land and water so it is not all that surprising that seafood and salad is easy on the metabolism. Of course the alcohol could have assisted in being laid back and being on holiday in Cornwall you should have been just about horizontal.
Thats what I will buy when I shop on Friday, great idea. I cant really tell how much I drank in Cornwall for no other reason than I wasnt counting just enjoying the conversation with others. I chose my food carefully didnt snack but didnt record what I ate and drink

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thats what I will buy when I shop on Friday, great idea. I cant really tell how much I drank in Cornwall for no other reason than I wasnt counting just enjoying the conversation with others. I chose my food carefully didnt snack but didnt record what I ate and drink
with your name as Penguinmum, I suppose its inevitable that fish will suit you : ))

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never keep any of the food after defrosting - only long enough to eat it - but the instructions you link to for defrosting in cold water it says leave it 30 minutes and change the water - logically, five minutes in warm water then eaten at once seems a safer method simply due to the time factor.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never keep any of the food after defrosting - only long enough to eat it - but the instructions you link to for defrosting in cold water it says leave it 30 minutes and change the water - logically, five minutes in warm water then eaten at once seems a safer method simply due to the time factor.
Not really bacteria can multiply very quickly in a warm environment- it is better to defrost in cold water - defrosting in warm water if there is any bacteria present can give you a nasty tummy even from a small amount of nasties. Even when I'm cooking or heating fish to a safe temperature I still defrost in cold water.

Of course it's your choice and if you've been ok so far that's good :) - but it only takes once :hungover:

Reactions: Ally Pally

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never do a long defrost before cooking - leaving seafood or fish at room temperature for even half an hour seems to me to be asking for trouble.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never do a long defrost before cooking - leaving seafood or fish at room temperature for even half an hour seems to me to be asking for trouble.
Defrost in the fridge? - store fresh fish in the lower part of the fridge on crushed ice

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Defrosting seafood in warm water is not recommended. https://www.aboutseafood.com/resource/thawing/
It is quite easy in this weather to plunge it into a bowl of cold tap water to speed up defrosting I would have thought. It was the thought of eating more seafood that appealed to me though I must admit those bags of frozen fruits de mer dont have a great flavour but accompanied by a crunchy salad and mayo sounds good hot weather food AND easy to manage if the family are eating something else not suitable for me. Sothamks @Resurgam for the idea.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Last night I did monkfisk wrapped in bacon with green veg. My readings were before 4.6, two hours after 5.3. No alcohol. 2 squares 85% choc. This morning FBG 6.1. Still decent result for me. I dont know if this fulfills the challenge set down by @Mel dCP but I dont ever drink wine with chilli.

Reactions: LooperCat

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As your user name would suggest, why am I not surprised on your topic subject for this thread. Just sayin........

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As your user name would suggest, why am I not surprised on your topic subject for this thread. Just sayin........
You are not the first to make that observation .....lol....though my forum name is not ecause of my love of fish....honestly!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It seems that almost every restaurant has tons of seafood on the menu in Cornwall, we are going during school hols and I have been searching online menus. There is not much for a low carb veggie especially when I am gong with family members who are all allergic to shellfish :eek: :(. I will be asking politely for a salad without the fish or shellfish.:)
This will be our first visit since I as diagnosed, so no pasties or cream teas, I plan to have berries with clotted cream :happy:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found Cornwall sadly lacking in GF pasties and GF scones, too.
But it kept me on the straight and narrow, which was a good thing.

The only GF pasty i found was in Tintagel, and it was a feeble rendition compared with the gluteny real ones being eaten all around me.