5 Years In, Who Said Low Carb is Unsustainable?!

Murphymycat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done you. I lost 4st on a low carb diet and my Hb1Ac dropped right down to normal. Both my GP and diabetic nurse are big fans of low carb, and my GP was practically dancing around the surgery when saw my results. He said he wished more patients would take diabetes seriously

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go you! Fantastic, especially considering what the fates have thrown at you lately. Just brilliant.

Andygoat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing hope I’m still like that in 5 years time gives me inspiration well done

Gill63

I had my annual diabetic bloods taken on Monday, exactly 5 years after my type 2 diagnosis. Just saw my results on line, everything is in normal ranges and my HbA1c, despite the death of my mother 9 weeks ago, an attack of shingles at Easter and a broken toe last weekend, is…….. drum roll……..37! To say I’m chuffed is an understatement. I love the food I eat and don’t struggle at all these days. Five years ago I never would have thought I could be this content, on what many view as a very restrictive diet.
I also noticed when I logged on to find my results that my record has been marked “statin intolerant”!
Hi Rachox
Great to hear your success.
Do you follow low carb or Keto.
I am struggling trying to get my head round going low carb, worried about giving up carbs, psychological really but at same time A1c far too high and has been for about a year. Really worried about my long term health but can't seem to make the changes to my diet. Any advice would be appreciated.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations, @Rachox ! Great to hear your good news.

Can I just add that, like @Gill63 , I have concerns about my own ability to follow this way of eating, and would like to know more about low-carb vs keto. When first dx'd I went low carb. BG, BP, weight all came down. LDL went up.
How do your LDL numbers stay down on a low-carb or keto diet? For some reason I cannot figure out how to manage that. I really would like to know how as it's the big problem for me.

D

Deleted member 543160

@SaskiaKC
I was brought up in the 1940-50s on a normal fat moderate carbs type diet, so reducing my much more recent high carbs consumption back down again was not a big issue. For me "keto" is basically a fairly recent and fancy name for a very low carbohydrate/ketogenic diet, i.e. low carbs and sufficient normal fat foods so my body uses both carbs and fats/ketones for energy, which is quite natural and how our bodies are supposed to behave. (Not to be confused with the very strict therapeutic ketogenic diets mainly used since the early 1900s for the treatment of epilepsy in children.)

I don't have my figures to hand, but I've never seen very much change in my overall cholesterol levels since my T2 diagnosis (and LCHF diet) over 8 years ago - apart from one very low and possibly erroneous result. But have a look at Diet Doctor's take on cholesterol & LDL levels.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had some bloods taken this week for another issue, but GP threw in a random HbA1c. Just got the results back today 38, up one but still well down into the non diabetic range whilst covering a few indulgences at Xmas and New Year :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations @Rachox on your results this week superb that you've stayed in range despite some challenges over the past year brilliant news.⭐

• Friendly
Reactions: Rachox

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had some bloods taken this week for another issue, but GP threw in a random HbA1c. Just got the results back today 38, up one but still well down into the non diabetic range whilst covering a few indulgences at Xmas and New Year :)
In a kind of bonkers way, I like the unexpected A1c because I haven’t consciously, or otherwise changed anything, pending the test happening.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news superstar!
Well done you.