50 and trying to avoid diabetes....

hs6666

Hello

My Dad has had diabetes since he was 50

I'm 50 now trying to change my lifestyle through food and exercise to avoid it

Trouble is even though I managed to control my HBA1C, my lipid readings are all over the place (see graphs)

Should I be worried, doc just wants to put me on strong statins?

Thanks

Harry

Attachments

• cholesterol HDL ratio.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 166
  • cholesterol.pdf
    82.3 KB · Views: 108
  • HDL.pdf
    72.9 KB · Views: 134
  • LDL.pdf
    80.3 KB · Views: 156
  • none HDL cholesterol.pdf
    57.1 KB · Views: 115
  • trig.pdf
    73.1 KB · Views: 129
  • HBA1C.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 138

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Serum fasting glucose isn't the same thing as HbA1c.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello
My Dad has had diabetes since he was 50
I'm 50 now trying to change my lifestyle through food and exercise to avoid it
Trouble is even though I managed to control my HBA1C, my lipid readings are all over the place (see graphs)
Should I be worried, doc just wants to put me on strong statins?
Thanks
Harry
Welcome Harry! LDL is a poor indicator of cardiovascular risk, and according to the best info, Statins only really help people with familial hypercholesterolemia.
I gather cardiologists use Trigs/HDL as a much better indicator of cardiovascular risk and your trigs are nice and low.
LDL might rise for reasons other than diet/cardio risk, eg b/c you have an infection and the body is working hard to repair itself.
More info about these is in the My Low Carb Journey Back to Health pdf which I link to in my signature. You might find the info contained therein of help. Best wishes,

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Welcome Harry! LDL is a poor indicator of cardiovascular risk, and according to the best info, Statins only really help people with familial hypercholesterolemia.
I gather cardiologists use Trigs/HDL as a much better indicator of cardiovascular risk and your trigs are nice and low.
LDL might rise for reasons other than diet/cardio risk, eg b/c you have an infection and the body is working hard to repair itself.
More info about these is in the My Low Carb Journey Back to Health pdf which I link to in my signature. You might find the info contained therein of help. Best wishes,
Do you have a reference for the predictive indicator of LDL and risk. I'd be interested in reading it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a reference for the predictive indicator of LDL and risk. I'd be interested in reading it.
There are so many sources for that but Ivor Cummins (fat emperor) has multiple sources that LDL levels are such a very poor predictor of CV risk that nobody in medicine uses them except to prescribe statins!
Dave Feldman on www.cholesterolcode.com has provided many studies and has analysed much of the NHANES data to show a similar non causality.
If Trigs are low and HDL is high then it seems CV risk is minimal but a CAC scan is the best way to see for sure what is going on within.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try here: https://www.safehealthmedicine.net/atherogenic-index-heart-disease-predictor.html

Edit to add quotes from linked page:
"The atherogenic index of the plasma is calculated through the formula of log(TG/HDL-C) where your triglycerides levels are divided by your good cholesterol."
"When the resulting value is under 0.11 the individual is ranked as having low risk for cardiovascular disease, when its between 0.11 and 0.24 they’re in in the medium risk for heart disease and those with more than 0.24 are classified as having an elevated risk for CVD."​

Sometimes 0.21 is the upper value rather than 0.24.
AIP calculator here:http://www.biomed.cas.cz/fgu/aip/calculator.php

Last edited: