1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

50 and trying to avoid diabetes....

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by hs6666, Jul 21, 2020.

1. hs6666

hs6666 · Newbie

Hello

My Dad has had diabetes since he was 50

I'm 50 now trying to change my lifestyle through food and exercise to avoid it

Trouble is even though I managed to control my HBA1C, my lipid readings are all over the place (see graphs)

Should I be worried, doc just wants to put me on strong statins?

Thanks

Harry

Attached Files:

2. Crocodile

Crocodile Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Serum fasting glucose isn't the same thing as HbA1c.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

What did you do, diet & exercise-wise and what was your latest A1c?

4. pdmjoker

pdmjoker Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Welcome Harry! LDL is a poor indicator of cardiovascular risk, and according to the best info, Statins only really help people with familial hypercholesterolemia.
    I gather cardiologists use Trigs/HDL as a much better indicator of cardiovascular risk and your trigs are nice and low.
    LDL might rise for reasons other than diet/cardio risk, eg b/c you have an infection and the body is working hard to repair itself.
    More info about these is in the My Low Carb Journey Back to Health pdf which I link to in my signature. You might find the info contained therein of help. Best wishes,

5. Crocodile

Crocodile Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Do you have a reference for the predictive indicator of LDL and risk. I'd be interested in reading it.

6. ianf0ster

ianf0ster Type 2 · Well-Known Member

7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

There are so many sources for that but Ivor Cummins (fat emperor) has multiple sources that LDL levels are such a very poor predictor of CV risk that nobody in medicine uses them except to prescribe statins!
    Dave Feldman on www.cholesterolcode.com has provided many studies and has analysed much of the NHANES data to show a similar non causality.
    If Trigs are low and HDL is high then it seems CV risk is minimal but a CAC scan is the best way to see for sure what is going on within.

8. pdmjoker

pdmjoker Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Try here: https://www.safehealthmedicine.net/atherogenic-index-heart-disease-predictor.html

Edit to add quotes from linked page:
    "The atherogenic index of the plasma is calculated through the formula of log(TG/HDL-C) where your triglycerides levels are divided by your good cholesterol."
    "When the resulting value is under 0.11 the individual is ranked as having low risk for cardiovascular disease, when its between 0.11 and 0.24 they’re in in the medium risk for heart disease and those with more than 0.24 are classified as having an elevated risk for CVD."​

Sometimes 0.21 is the upper value rather than 0.24.
    AIP calculator here:http://www.biomed.cas.cz/fgu/aip/calculator.php

#8 pdmjoker, Jul 22, 2020 at 1:04 PM
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook