1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

600-800 calorie/cup foods?

Discussion in 'Weight Loss and Dieting' started by cdpm, Jan 18, 2019.

1. cdpm

cdpm Type 2 · Well-Known Member

does anyone know what foods
    are 600-800 calories a cup?

because of stomach bloat/fullness
    i can only manage 2 cups of food
    at one time and i eat OMAD
    so the 2 cups have to equal
    1200-1600 calories total

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

This is a difficult question as cups measure volume, not usually calories and definitely not weight.
    You would have to do the maths yourself by measuring a cupful then weighing it (taking into account that cooked weight and dry weight will differ in carbs as well as weight) then work out the carbs and cals involved.

Unless other members have used this, seemingly, convoluted method you would have to experiment.

3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think in the US they use cups for measurement for recipes, I've seen a number of recipes where they say stuff like '1 cup of flour' - to which my thought is normally 'what a stupid measurement, I want to know the weight dammit', normally followed by leaving said website and looking elsewhere (for a start I'm not sure how I'd translate 1 cup to a variety of different mugs I have in the cupboard :))

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Spl@

[email protected] Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

It a standard measure.

I have a set of 'cups' at home. Goes from an 1/8 doubling each time to a full cup which I think, don't quote me. Is 250g.

5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

But 250g weight of dry rice is not the same as 250g of broccoli. So the same weight will not always apply. It is volume.
    I have measuring cups too but I only use them if I'm following a N.American recipe. And sometimes I've seen different chefs say things like wrt flour Do or Don't pack it down because it changes the volume.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

1200-1600 calories per meal is quite high anyway. I don't think I could stomach that, maybe its better for you to split your meals?

7. Spl@

[email protected] Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Told you not to quote me. Its ml's so a volume measure.
    Can still question the accuracy compared to weight.

8. lindijanice

lindijanice Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hey @cdpm, I would suggest that you cook food and then measure. For example you can find the amount of calories for 2 Tbs butter for example, and then put that in your cup measure. Then figure out how many calories in 3 oz of steak or other protein and add that to you cup. Keep going with what you want to eat and when you come up to two cups, wallah, your meal and hopefully up to your desired calorie intake. Are you measuring calories to make sure you are eating enough in your OMAD? Could you not just measure out your food into the two cups and leave it at that, figuring that you are using enough fats with your food, full fat yogurt, etc. so that you have some satiety? Just curious! Cheers/L

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook