IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi all,

Had to drop by because I reached a semi milestone goal yesterday and needed to tell peoples who understand, won't judge, and just generally 'get it' (i.e. all of you lovelies!)

Diagnosed in Oct 2018 and since then I've managed to keep dropping weight, down by 4st 3lb so far - and not crashed out and gone back to bad habits, at all. I've not touched 'sweets' or crisps since Oct 18. I won't lie, there's been a few weeks I've stayed the same weight wise, and usually when I've let life get in the way of working out. But overall, my lifestyle has changed and the key is exercise - and more importantly, consistent exercise, in the form of gym - actual gym or home workouts, or even bashing out sets of squats in hotel rooms whilst I'm on holiday or away on business trips. For me, exercise seems to be critical to keeping things working as they should be doing. I don't think of it as exercise, I think of it as 'life-lengthening'.

I recently went to Scotland and found myself walking up 246 narrow single file spiral stairs, to the top of an old monument. I did it with ease, not flagging and puffing and panting or giving up - my fitness it coming back byjiminy! It feels like I'm heading in the right direction. I will keep on with this little mission because this time last year I wouldn't have done even 50 of them without turning red! A small win, for sure.

I remembered what the Doc told me - that exercise keeps the essential 'door open' (to fully functioning) and I now work out wherever I am, even at home, running on the spot whilst making coffee or cooking, it looks odd, but it makes me smile. Small steps to positive change. I'm building good habits.

I went to an annual event yesterday and whereby in previous years, as it's free food and drink all day, I admittedly used to take advantage of the both of those in previous years and maxed out on all the lovely things, which was fairly indicative - too many nice things. A lesson learnt. This year, I had a small win for myself. I 'prepped like a boss' - I took my own low carb, low sugar food with me and stayed clear of the fancy foods and no alcohol. It felt good because I didn't feel forced. I didn't begrudge doing it, I actually *wanted* to do it. To stay on track. It feels like a new 'me' has emerged since diagnosis, and I am so so grateful for it. I decided to look on diagnosis as a blessing, an opportunity to start looking after my body and fuel it up right so it can last another circle or two round the track. It didn't look like it would at the rate I was going. This is personal experience relevant to me, I know not all people have the same experience nor will this be relatable, but for those that 'get this', you can totally and absolutely manage this thing. Life is made for living, there will be times when you do have something sugary or carby, the trick seems to be not to let old habits come back - pick your battles - acknowledge it for what it is, then crack on with staying on track.

If you're finding it tough to change your ideas on food, lifestyle, exercise, honestly, it gets easier the more you do it. All I can say is try to keep an open mind on all of it, just embrace it. It *will* get easier.

So, yesterday....yup, it was a small win. And it's all about small wins. I know this is lifelong condition, even though the Doc says I've got it in 'remission', I know I can't afford to take my eye of the ball, but I'll take those small wins and celebrate - but not with chocolate cake! ;-)

Stay strong all! :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4st 3lb in just over 6 months is a stunning weight loss.. well done you!
I'm not such a fan of exercise but well done for walking up those stairs.. I shudder at the thought (hate heights almost as much as exercise!). Lots of those small wins add up to one big ginormous one which you'll achieve no doubt .... its called health and you're well on the way already.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I absolutely ‘get it’! Well done on your achievements!
I always say my diagnosis was a blessing in disguise, the kick up the bum I needed to get my health back on track!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You're an inspiration. Well done you.

Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - the Wallace monument in Sterling.
It is a long time since I climbed that on a morning and then trotted up a Trossock in the afternoon - those were the days.

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't think I'm able to keep my blood glucose down without daily cardio.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@IronLioness what a great post, well done on the weight loss and climbing all those stairs! I too find that exercise is key - if I let it slide for a few days I see bg levels creeping up the following week or even the week after. It’s taken me a while to figure out what was happening. I’m going to pinch your idea of thinking ‘life lengthening’ rather than exercise, sounds less of a chore.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
4st 3lb in just over 6 months is a stunning weight loss.. well done you!
I'm not such a fan of exercise but well done for walking up those stairs.. I shudder at the thought (hate heights almost as much as exercise!). Lots of those small wins add up to one big ginormous one which you'll achieve no doubt .... its called health and you're well on the way already.

Thanks Bulkbiker :) It really kicked in this weekend on how many changes have happened since the Doc dropped the diagnosis bombshell. It was a full on 'shoulder shake' moment for me, especially as there's a family history of diabetes. I just wanted to share and hopefully give a bit of a virtual reach out to anyone else starting their new journey. I'm learning so much, but also so much to learn and watch out for. I've tested my blood regularly which also helps me take ownership of what I'm doing, and how I'm doing it, and I've definitely sussed that exercise basically is key to it all. On the odd day if I've had something which spikes the BG, I bash out exercise and it normalises, I like that element of control and management. The stairs were a huge achievement for me, admittedly I gave myself a moment to embrace it because if I did the same last year there's no change in heck that I would have been able to do it - I'd have been puffing and panting all the way up. This time, I literally zipped up there, with no anxiety. I'm immensely driven to shed the weight, I want it gone, and to stay gone, I have some more to go, but I'm taking it each day and week at a time and more than that, I'm looking into the thought process behind it - I'm a firm believer of the outside not changing until the inside (head) is sorted. I really hope to keep on going and getting better with management, my goal is just to try and keep the 'risks' of complications at bay for as long as possible. One day at a time though eh! :)

Reactions: Prem51 and Rachox

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I absolutely ‘get it’! Well done on your achievements!
I always say my diagnosis was a blessing in disguise, the kick up the bum I needed to get my health back on track!

Totally agree Rachox, the diagnosis has literally changed my life, for the better! I honestly think someone 'up there' has my back and this was the last button that was being pressed for me to sort my life out before something truly serious occured beyond my control - it was heading down that route, long story, but it really was. I feel more positive and I don't have anything to do with 'diets' - it's just a change of life. Looking forward to more learning and how to keep it managed. :)

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Ah - the Wallace monument in Sterling.
It is a long time since I climbed that on a morning and then trotted up a Trossock in the afternoon - those were the days.

haha! Got it in one, Resurgam! :) Yes indeedy, the Wallace Monument, no one told me it was THAT many steps, and more importantly I had to first of all walk up that massive HILL to get to it, haha! The thighs were burning, I tell ya! :) I really loved it, though, as I really would *never* have done that last year, no chance... it was quite an emotional moment for personal achievement, not in an ego way, but more of a moment of reflection and a kind of "C'mon, keep going" (with the lifestyle) type internal chat to myself. After Stirling I headed to Trossachs (Ranoch Moor where I got out and went for a walk), and then to Glencoe and went walking up the slopes there too, it felt so good. Totally inspirational. And I avoided the 'Fush n' chup suppers' which are *everywhere* in Scotland which was another milestone - I didn't destroy my eating either, I still keep a low carb, low sugar diet wherever I go. I *feel* the difference in the way I now look at food. :)