AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, this is my hope too.

For now, I am still addicted to coffee. Few years back, I used to consume 15 cups of coffee [milk+sugar+nescafe]; now it is down to 2 cups per day. I will try to bring it to 1 cup per day.

I am a vegan since I was born; predominantly rice eater 3 times a day. However over last 5 years, I gradually cut rice consumption. These days, I get rice only when I spend 500+ calories in one session - which is my personal rule; and that happens twice a week only. Apart from coffee, I do not repeat other food items. I rotate kidney beans, sprouts, vegetables, fruits. My protein comes from whey protein powder. Results are good, but apparently I need to cut some more to reach my set objectives. Over Xmas I ate three meals loaded with rice and potatoes - that weight is now gone almost. But bottom line is food is the issue with me.

Yes, I am happy to get advise. There is nothing offensive here. At the end, it is me who has to take control of matters. There are other factors, but I do not want to blame on those; the point is how fast I can change my diet and keep it going.

You did not comment on my food, pic from myfitnesspal - like is it too many calories? or number of calories are fine, but carbs are more etc.??

I didn't comment on your diet as I wanted to make the points I did, but as you ask, specifically, I will.

I have no idea how tall you are or how much weight you are trying to lose, so could have no idea on your actualy nutritional requirements, but in general, I would suggest the following:

If you are of Asian descent, then almost inevitably you are more at risk of diabetes than other groups, which you probably know already, and furthermore your ideal BMI requirements are slimmer than Europeans, for example. You have stated that you have insulin resistance, and on that basis alone, I would suggest it would be helpful to reduce the amount of carbohydrate you are eating. If you haven't already, I suggest you watch some of the Professor Taylor presentations on his Newcastle Diet - not to encourage you to adopt it, but because he explains insulin resistance extremely well in my view.

Many have also found the further they reduce carbohydrate consumption the less they have to be concerned about calories. That's quite hard to get the head around, but for many it is true.

Personally, I choose to consume a cab reduced diet, on a long term basis. I say carb reduced rather than low carb because low carb suggests doing without something or being denied it, whereas, for me, reduced carb suggests more of a choice thing. In any case, I'm usually averaging around 60gr, but I often get through over 2000, and only just manage to keep weight on these days. It didn't always work that way for me!! But, if I were to eat 2000 calories, of which a markedly higher proportion were carbohydrate calories, I believe I would gain a fair amount of weight. I am 48kg and 160cm tall.

You have to decide for yourself how to proceed on this. For every poster contributing here, there are likely to be almost as many approaches.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you too an extent, but this book appears to be a variation on the Newcastle Diet (ND), which only talks about calories, and the shakes used by Professor Taylor in his early studies were not exactly low carb options.

The vast majority of folks will lose decent quantities of weight on 800 calories a day. Professor Taylor's work is all about dropping weight and de-fatting the internal organise, which this broadly similar, real food variant on the ND is likely to achieve.

My take on this book is it is trying to gain a wider acceptance in the general public.

Yes, I accept I'm probably looking at it from the biased view of a dedicated low carber.:D I've not lost weight for a while according to my scales but have noticed that my "Buddha Belly" has reduced a bit more, and I am actually interested in this as a real food version of the ND to see if I can shift a bit more fat. But I've noticed that if I change my current diet too much my glucose levels start swinging too much for my liking. Sometimes I feel I'm stuck between a low glucose rock & a heavyweight hard place.:(

Robbity

Reactions: 8 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Few people I know, are lacto-veg or something; they won't eat cheese, milk, raita, eggs etc. Then last month I came across a person who is about 6' 6'' tall and former NBA guy. For some reasons, he turned into veg diet, probably the strictest form that I ever heard. He won't eat anything that grows under the earth - like potatoes, carrots etc. But he is doing fine, now a fitness coach - works about 10 hours a day now. His definition of 'vegan' is different.

Years ago I heard about a similar strict vegan diet, were any growing plant were unacceptable - only "freely given" foods such as fruits and nuts that would drop from plants & trees were acceptable.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I accept I'm probably looking at it from the biased view of a dedicated low carber.:D I've not lost weight for a while according to my scales but have noticed that my "Buddha Belly" has reduced a bit more, and I am actually interested in this as a real food version of the ND to see if I can shift a bit more fat. But I've noticed that if I change my current diet too much my glucose levels start swinging too much for my liking. Sometimes I feel I'm stuck between a low glucose rock & a heavyweight hard place.:(

Robbity

Robbity - @Andrew Colvin did a a proper food variant of the ND, immediately post-diagnosis, and has had stunning results.

Professor Taylor states it is the weight loss, not the method that's critical to the results he had. Since then, there is some consideration the short-sharp approach (whether proper food or shakes) has a positive impact.

We have such a long way to go in terms of persuading both HCPs and the general public that reduced carbing is worthwhile, and similar lengths, in terms of raising expectations of outcomes - whether we want to talk about cure/reversal/remission or "merely" improvements - that anything that suggests diabetes isn't a mandatory downhill slope can only be to the good.

I'm not an enormous Michael Mosley fan, but if his face is the one to break the news to the wider public, then so be it. Professor Taylor seems to be a lovely man and a ground breaking (for T2s anyway) scientists, but he isn't as skilled a media presenter as Mosley; even if we speculated he'd even want to present a TV series.

To be honest, I'd rather he stuck with what he's good at, which is making challenging strides forward in medicine. I guess it's two people working with what they've got. :)

Reactions: 10 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Reactions: 4 people

nannoo_bird

I want to start the diet having read the book, but as I am on insulin and Lyxumia, as well as Metformin, I don't know how to reduce my amounts of these as my BG levels fall. Is there a formula? Can anyone help?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to start the diet having read the book, but as I am on insulin and Lyxumia, as well as Metformin, I don't know how to reduce my amounts of these as my BG levels fall. Is there a formula? Can anyone help?
There's no forumula as far as I know.

Even in today's instalment in the Daily Mail, Mosley says if you are on medication you should consult your GP before starting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-Type-2-diabetes-best-s-tasty-way-health.html

nannoo_bird

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have this book and was very up for trying it. Took it to my appointment on Tuesday and basically got told by the dietician that I can't do it and shouldn't do it and that I will put on double the weight afterwards and then started spouting about how important it is to have carbs. I was going to bite back but decided to just agree but in my head was thinking f**k you I will definitely do it now but it's very expensive, week one totalled in my basket at about £80 that's just food for me and nothing else

Victorri - I've had a look at the Mail Online today, which includes a 7-day menu plan. I can see how the costs could easily add up, unless you already have some of these ingredients in stock. I'll add the url for others who may be interested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-Type-2-diabetes-best-s-tasty-way-health.html

Are you the cook at home, or does someone else do that? And secondly, have you used myfitnesspal (website or app)?

If you fancy doing this, then why not consider doing it, and using some of these meals as guidelines? If you use myfitnesspal to log your food, you would be able to track your calories. Provided you have a fairly mixed diet, you're unlikely to become malnourished in such a short time.

I'm certain there's nothing magic in the food combinations (aside from their homage to the Mediterranean style of eating). As I said before, @Andrew Colvin , and others have used this way of eating extremely effectively whilst living with their families and sharing family meals.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Robbity - @Andrew Colvin Professor Taylor seems to be a lovely man and a ground breaking (for T2s anyway) scientists, but he isn't as skilled a media presenter as Mosley; even if we speculated he'd even want to present a TV series.

To be honest, I'd rather he stuck with what he's good at, which is making challenging strides forward in medicine. I guess it's two people working with what they've got. :)

I agree. I saw Professor Taylor on TV recently in a repeat of a Hairy Bikers weight loss programme. Those naughty bikers had the professor dancing to hippy music in funny clobber (to demonstrate he could still fit into the trouser he wore when he was 20) Poor guy probably never wants to be on TV again after that :bag::D

Reactions: 6 people

neil1945

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't read all the posts so forgive if Im' repeating, Michael Mosley is himself a qualified Dr (although not practicing) and a diabetic. The also fronts the program 'Trust me I'm a Doctor' and has found a couple of strange happenings - if you have a later breakfast and an earlier evening meal (with out changing your diet) it lowers all the bad things as the fasting period is longer. Also if you cook pasta - let it go cold and reheat it then raises the blood sugar much slower than normal pasta and is more fiber for the gut.

Reactions: 6 people

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Isn't @Borzoi doing the Newcastle diet? He is having meal replacement shakes. I thought the blood sugar solution is just real food (i.e. no meal replacement shakes)?

He is doing a bit of both, but it seems he is leaning more towards real food now. He probably mixes things up a little bit, finding the right balance and approach with some experience. And I read the bloodsugar solution yesterday, and the diet they propose is a real food version of the newcastle diet, coupled with fasting and HIIT training, but you can do a shake version of the diet as well, they just have suggestions and so forth.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would recommend to buy and read the book for everyone. the first 25% of the book, I read it on kindle, is a very thorough explaination of how you can cure diabetes, and why it is not a progressive chronic disease. Stats anf facts, is intervowen with personal anecdotes, many with people that have undergone Roy Taylors reserach diets. The examples are varied, some people just needed a few kg in weightloss to get normalized sugars, others needed a lot more. There are some things I disagree with, the glycemic index part, and the part about potatoes and rice being bad, but this is the best book I have read on diabetes so far. I recommend it to everyone.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I agree. I saw Professor Taylor on TV recently in a repeat of a Hairy Bikers weight loss programme. Those naughty bikers had the professor dancing to hippy music in funny clobber (to demonstrate he could still fit into the trouser he wore when he was 20) Poor guy probably never wants to be on TV again after that :bag::D
On Food Network now! I think - it says it is the final episode so may be the trousers episode.

Edit: Yes it was that episode lol

Last edited:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@mekalu2k4 - I didn't know you took 4 TBSP of sugar in your coffee a day!! :nailbiting:. I wouldn't worry about the coffee - I'm with my friends and close kin the Swedes on that one. (They're really into the health benefits of the stuff, lovely lovely drug that it is.) But the sugar?!

When I have talked to close kin and friends about diabetes prevention - I always say cut the added sugar as much as you can as action number one. Then massively cut down on processed food (re the trans fats and food additives). But I know you know this really. Physical activity and muscles go a long way - my own sporty slim mother didn't become prediabetic until she was 78. (I am quite sure there is a fair amount of carbohydrate intolerance in my family. Which could be a way you looked at the tendency to T2D in yours? Excess carbs get stored wonderfully in belly fat - even when slim and sporty.)

I agree with other posters - going LCHF, especially as a way to get off the sugar addiction! - might be wonderful for you. Lots of body builders and so on being 'fat burners' rather than 'glucose burners'. Which I imagine is what you would be going for...

"Ahhhh! I knew it! LCHF works for everything!" ho ho.

part of niklas eriksson LCHF cartoon.png

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I didn't know you took 4 TBSP of sugar in your coffee a day!!
Yes I do. I confess. Sometimes, it goes up to 6 spoons; but really 6 is the max. raw brown sugar, not the sugar cubes. Why I drink coffee? - sorry, do not have any answer - I simply do not know. Coffee became a part of my life since last 3 years or so, actually it replaced 'boost' [like milo drink] and tea [with same sugar and a dash of milk]. Am I addicted to coffee? I think so, because I posted my rant in this thread over the weekend and tried not taking coffee on Monday. Had head-ache throughout the day. So today is much better, so all is normal without coffee. Problem is we have a nice & big coffee machine in the office. I realized the aroma is irresistible, but managing. Without know I went to the machine, then realized my new resolve and downed good amount of cold water - that is it - belly full. Did twice a day exactly when I take the coffee.

Made few adjustments in diet, hoping to shed a few lbs; but it is too early to comment on that part.

Obviously diet is the biggest issue (for me).

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes I do. I confess. Sometimes, it goes up to 6 spoons; but really 6 is the max. raw brown sugar, not the sugar cubes. Why I drink coffee? - sorry, do not have any answer - I simply do not know. Coffee became a part of my life since last 3 years or so, actually it replaced 'boost' [like milo drink] and tea [with same sugar and a dash of milk]. Am I addicted to coffee? I think so, because I posted my rant in this thread over the weekend and tried not taking coffee on Monday. Had head-ache throughout the day. So today is much better, so all is normal without coffee. Problem is we have a nice & big coffee machine in the office. I realized the aroma is irresistible, but managing. Without know I went to the machine, then realized my new resolve and downed good amount of cold water - that is it - belly full. Did twice a day exactly when I take the coffee.

Made few adjustments in diet, hoping to shed a few lbs; but it is too early to comment on that part.

Obviously diet is the biggest issue (for me).

Seriously - don't worry about the coffee! (millions of Germans and Swedes cannot be wrong ;):).)

For inspiration to quit added sugar on the other hand...

I loved 'That sugar film'.

And there is this wonderful Aussie woman who writes gorgeous no sugar recipe books 'I quit sugar cookbook' or something like that - she and her food is very inspiring I find.

And then you get expert at reading food labels - especially in the sugar and carbs line! So's you don't buy the carby, sugary stuff - natch!

(It's only cos I feel big sisterly to you that I am being so... encouraging... in this! :). And the fact that you are here in this forum.)

Reactions: 4 people