A bit disheartened....

VMK

Well, after diagnosis in Feb/Mar (T2) and doing quite well for a while, my BG has shot up today despite no carbs! What’s all that about then?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you give us the figures to see how much they’ve gone up by?
Also back to basics, did you wash your hands before the test?
Was it a new tub of strips?
Are you feeling stressed today?
Do you think you’re coming down with an illness?
What did you eat, are you sure there weren’t any hidden carbs?
Hopefully we can establish a reason for you.

VMK

Can you give us the figures to see how much they’ve gone up by?
Also back to basics, did you wash your hands before the test?
Was it a new tub of strips?
Are you feeling stressed today?
Do you think you’re coming down with an illness?
What did you eat, are you sure there weren’t any hidden carbs?
Hopefully we can establish a reason for you.

Thanks for replying Rachox. Definitely no carbs today, only proteins and green veg. Reading taken 2 hours after evening meal of Greek salad with feta cheese, and it was 12! But yes, am a bit stressed today. Due to retire in a couple of weeks and feeling quite emotional about it to be honest.

Reactions: 1spuds

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Well, after diagnosis in Feb/Mar (T2) and doing quite well for a while, my BG has shot up today despite no carbs! What’s all that about then?

It's about living with an irrational and unpredictable condition. The phrase 'taking the lows with the highs' has never been more appropriate.

But check through the suggestions from @Rachox and make sure you rule out variables.

Don't give in, you can beat it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replying Rachox. Definitely no carbs today, only proteins and green veg. Reading taken 2 hours after evening meal of Greek salad with feta cheese, and it was 12! But yes, am a bit stressed today. Due to retire in a couple of weeks and feeling quite emotional about it to be honest.

It could be the stress then, although your Greek salad will have had a small amount of carbs. Feta cheese is around 5g/100g, also overeating protein can cause a rise.
BTW I’m retired and can highly recommend it :)

Reactions: VMK

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Due to retire in a couple of weeks and feeling quite emotional about it to be honest.
Dont stress over it,its fantastic.IMO.Im betting something on hands threw off test.When I get an outlier number I wash really well,and retest.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
It could be one of the multiple suggestions above, like retesting is needed.

Interestingly enough, I've never had good blood sugar results after just a Greek salad. I personally need more protein in a meal to stabilise my sugars. I could have a couple of spoonfulls of greek salad with a piece of white pan-seared fish.

Reactions: VMK and 1spuds

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just for info, I’ve been Googling Greek salad recipes as I wasn’t completely sure what the ingredients were apart from the Feta. Per portion the recipes varied between about 7 and nearly 18, quite a variation! It does sound delicious but may have more carbs than you expected @VMK ?

VMK

Just for info, I’ve been Googling Greek salad recipes as I wasn’t completely sure what the ingredients were apart from the Feta. Per portion the recipes varied between about 7 and nearly 18, quite a variation! It does sound delicious but may have more carbs than you expected @VMK ?

Yes, seems that way doesn’t it? I suppose time and testing will show which foods affect me more. And I will take on board the hand washing thing pre-testing. Thank you.

Reactions: 1spuds

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I just always want to warn someone that is doing well and doing everything right. We do have days/streaks where things can affect that. From infections, stress, maybe even the meal the night before, lack of sleep, dawn phenomenon, etc. All that can effect your blood sugars. But if your BG's keep being out of control, and you are doing everything right, you could be a misdiagnosed type 1.