A bit overwhelmed

Siobhan

I’ve recently been put on Tresiba and the Libre 2.

The Tresiba I’m struggling to keep control, first I kept having hypo after hypo, now I’m going high and then low, I feel like I’m on a rollercoaster! I hope it’s just teething problems!

The Libre 2 I love the freedom it gives me as I hated having to do finger pricks in front of people, but now I have total control over where my sugars have been and are going, I’m find it overwhelming and know it is linked to the libreview and that my diabetic nurse can see it, when I go too high or low it makes me feel like I’m doing wrong, can anyone else relate?

Last edited:
  • Hug
Reactions: Nicola M and Juicyj

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Siobhan

Can I ask what type of diabetes you have and whether you have any short acting insulin to go with your tresiba?

Blood testing sensors such as the libre are real game changers for diabetic control (I am old enough to remember when conventional blood testing meters first came in :) )

It's normal for it to take a while to get the right dose of insulin so I wouldn't panic at all about figures that aren't where you like them, though I can totally relate to the fear that the diabetes clinic will disapprove of your levels. My advice would be to remember that they are there to help you rather than to criticise you, and very few of us get our levels right all the time (well, I certainly don't).

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have no idea what your diet is like but I found reducing the carbs, flattened off the rollercoaster, basically the less carbs, the less need for corrections. Some people are fine eating “normal” carbs but personally I struggle, it may help in the short term while you get things a bit more under control maybe.

best of luck.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Siobhan Can I put your mind at rest ? Your DSN is too busy to keep watching your levels, they don't have the time, it's linked to them so that when they speak to you or have a review that they have some data to refer to, but it's only you who's putting this pressure on yourself, so try to ignore the link feature, it's COMPLETELY normal for t1's to have variations with control, we are all over the shop some days despite our best intentions, it could be stress/heat/exercise/female hormones, day of the week etc etc but we are completely random at times, just try to go with the flow and not take the graphs readings personally, we can influence them but cannot control them.

You have only recently been put on tresiba so try to wait it out for a few weeks, your DSN can help you do the adjustments, but it's a long stable profile and you need to see patterns over a couple of weeks first before making any adjustments, it's a fantastic basal so give it a little more time but don't jump into adjusting it without your DSN having a review first.

• Winner
Reactions: oldgreymare

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve recently been put on Tresiba and the Libre 2.

The Tresiba I’m struggling to keep control, first I kept having hypo after hypo, now I’m going high and then low, I feel like I’m on a rollercoaster! I hope it’s just teething problems!

The Libre 2 I love the freedom it gives me as I hated having to do finger pricks in front of people, but now I have total control over where my sugars have been and are going, I’m find it overwhelming and know it is linked to the libreview and that my diabetic nurse can see it, when I go too high or low it makes me feel like I’m doing wrong, can anyone else relate?

Agree with all of the above that has already been said just here to really say that Diabetes is never easy and you’ll always have days where you have better control than others. I’m on a hybrid closed loop so in theory I shouldn’t have that much variation day to day but I can sometimes have random days where I am only in range for 30-40% of the day and then others days I’m on 90% time in range. No two days will ever be the same no matter what you do, I’ve found it’s better to worry a little less (easier said than done I know!) and just take each day as it comes. Changes in insulin will always throw things off and are not always something that is an easy/quick fix.

At the end of the day you’re doing the best you can, so what if you have some “bad” results sometimes, that’s diabetes life for you! :)