Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sunday was a washout. Hope the hurricane is done by morning.
Goodnight
Be well

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very quiet, @Alexander13
You, ok?
I am being nosey again.
Hope your silence on here means you have found interesting things to be doing, and perhaps someone your own age to talk to?

Hope so.

Jojo72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi alex
I just want to say, like others, that we all have to overcome this difficult condition. I joined the forum today & despite so many positive comments I have to say that your first one has haunted me all day.
I am living proof of overcoming the odds- I left school with no qualifications and while living with diabetes I have worked incredibly hard at my teaching career, demanding but fabulous. Against all the odds I have had two beautiful children, despite being told it was unlikely. Finally I have lost very dear loved ones in recent years and in the past, events which changed my whole world but also left me realising just how precious life really is. Seize it with both hands.
Jo

Reactions: 6 people

Alexander13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, Pip. Terribly sorry that I haven't been online, my internet was down earlier today due to a fault in our line. All fixed now and I hope to be online more often.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, Pip. Terribly sorry that I haven't been online, my internet was down earlier today due to a fault in our line. All fixed now and I hope to be online more often.

Hurrah!
Happy as long as you are ok. But just off to sleep.

Leave a message if you like tell us how you are, but I will have to read it in the morning.

Night,
Be well
Pipp

Alexander13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi alex
I just want to say, like others, that we all have to overcome this difficult condition. I joined the forum today & despite so many positive comments I have to say that your first one has haunted me all day.
I am living proof of overcoming the odds- I left school with no qualifications and while living with diabetes I have worked incredibly hard at my teaching career, demanding but fabulous. Against all the odds I have had two beautiful children, despite being told it was unlikely. Finally I have lost very dear loved ones in recent years and in the past, events which changed my whole world but also left me realising just how precious life really is. Seize it with both hands.
Jo
Thank you for your kind response, Jojo. I am glad you have had the chance of a good life with children to bless this world. I've chose not to have children because I do not wish for them to inherit my curse. But perhaps, that's also because I don't think I'll be able to find a partner with how quiet I am and my inability to provide due to unemployment.

Jojo72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Alexander
Give yourself time, type 1 isn't passed on to children, my consultant tells me, they have a very slim chance of getting it, as does everyone.
As for career/ family, I was 30 when I finally qualified as a teacher, 33 when I met my husband and 39 when I had my first child! It all took time :) You're young, go and get careers advise, do an evening class in something that interests you where you're likely to meet people with similar interests.
Above all try not to see diabetes as a curse, it can be difficult, out of control, in control and manageable (all in one week!) but remember it's only a small part of who you are and thousands of us are in the same position across this country alone. Start to plan- you have a whole world open to you!
Have a lovely day
Jo

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your kind response, Jojo. I am glad you have had the chance of a good life with children to bless this world. I've chose not to have children because I do not wish for them to inherit my curse. But perhaps, that's also because I don't think I'll be able to find a partner with how quiet I am and my inability to provide due to unemployment.

Of all the tributes flooding in for Robin Williams, this is the one I feel should be shared here today. By Jason Manford via his Facebook Fanpage

"If you feel alone and down, anxious and low. If you feel deep sadness but can't find a root cause. If people tell you to 'snap out of it' or 'things can only get better' or 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger', know that it's simply not always true. Sometimes it does kill you.

Please seek help. No one will think you're being melodramatic, I swear. No one will think you're silly or wasting people's time. No one will say 'what? But you're always so happy, maybe you're just having a bad day'. For some people, every day is a bad day and they get through it, but sometimes they stop getting through it.

If depression can (allegedly) kill Robin Williams, one of the world's greatest funny men, well it can get any of us at any time. If the Genie from Aladdin can suffer and the DJ in Good Morning Vietnam can be affected by it, then so can you, or your child or friend or work colleague.

I always remind myself of the quote from Watchmen:

"Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci."

Please. Ask for help. If you have no one or if you don't want to to tell them yet, then ring Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 for someone to talk to, or talk to your GP.

The world needs you even if you don't think it does. I promise, we need you here, now."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

BETH@RGU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
NOTHING
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

BETH@RGU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
NOTHING
This is my two little monsters Annie is the little ginger and the other one is Ollie

Reactions: 2 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Of all the tributes flooding in for Robin Williams, this is the one I feel should be shared here today. By Jason Manford via his Facebook Fanpage

"If you feel alone and down, anxious and low. If you feel deep sadness but can't find a root cause. If people tell you to 'snap out of it' or 'things can only get better' or 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger', know that it's simply not always true. Sometimes it does kill you.

Please seek help. No one will think you're being melodramatic, I swear. No one will think you're silly or wasting people's time. No one will say 'what? But you're always so happy, maybe you're just having a bad day'. For some people, every day is a bad day and they get through it, but sometimes they stop getting through it.

If depression can (allegedly) kill Robin Williams, one of the world's greatest funny men, well it can get any of us at any time. If the Genie from Aladdin can suffer and the DJ in Good Morning Vietnam can be affected by it, then so can you, or your child or friend or work colleague.

I always remind myself of the quote from Watchmen:

"Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci."

Please. Ask for help. If you have no one or if you don't want to to tell them yet, then ring Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 for someone to talk to, or talk to your GP.

The world needs you even if you don't think it does. I promise, we need you here, now."
I also saw this on Facebook. I don't usually rate Jason Manford but that post really touched me.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also saw this on Facebook. I don't usually rate Jason Manford but that post really touched me.

Yes,
Have been talking to someone else about depression.

It is difficult to understand especially if you have never experienced it.

Yet, as soon as you can reveal that you are depressed to the doc, there are all sorts of ways to get help.

And life can be sweet again.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Going back to seeing diabetes as a "curse". It isn't, as in fact you will get more health check ups than any non diabetic. Providing you can get your levels to a balance then you can have a fantastic life.

Diabetes is a huge shock to brain and body initially. However, I would prefer to have regular check ups than be a normal person without them. Thats honest.

Alex, have a look at Nicolanne's posts she's 19 and she's finding her way to better health despite having more problems than diabetes. They aren't diabetes related either.

Diabetes is what you let it be...you sound a very articulate and exact chap which is why I wonder why you can't apply those personality characters to diabetes.

What is it that actually makes you think that diabetes is a curse?

Loving life

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the moment, I think @Alexander13 is feeling sad. No job, lonely, and mourning his gran.
Alexander, you can get better.

D

Deleted member 83869

The chances that you're children will get it are very low....and even if they do get it, it wouldn't be the end of the world! You would teach them how to live and cope with it! Yes it will be hard but don't let this illness stop you from a very big thing in life....it seems you are letting diabetes take over your life, don't! Beat diabetes and show it who is boss!!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The chances that you're children will get it are very low....and even if they do get it, it wouldn't be the end of the world! You would teach them how to live and cope with it! Yes it will be hard but don't let this illness stop you from a very big thing in life....it seems you are letting diabetes take over your life, don't! Beat diabetes and show it who is boss!!
Good advice from someone of a similar age to you @Alexander13.
I like your philosophy @NicolaAnne1994

Status
Not open for further replies.