a milestone :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, as ive posted about before, ive started running, I started ummm about 5 months ago maybe a little longer by joining a gym because I had never exercised before in my life and reckoned it would help with bg, well it sure did and I found that my favourite thing was running on the treadmill (this maybe is old news if you have been subjected to my posting about it before sorry) well I started running on the road a few months ago, I started doing the parkruns which i love, well i have been doing 5k twice a week after work which is always hard but getting alot easier, doing the parkruns and then trying to go further on sundays, week before last 8 miles, last week 9 miles it was tough but I must be getting that chemical thing after the runs because I have found that I feel amazing afterwards, so im reading a running world website on wednesday and get the idea in my head that I can do a half marathon and decide im going to barns green this morning to have a go, this is ever so slighly INSANE as your supposed to do a training program for weeks to build up to it, everything I read that suggested I wasnt doing the right thing made this voice in my head shout out saying, dont let anyone tell you that you cant do something, and the more I read the more the voice shouted at me, so I figure do the half marathon or die trying, you get a medal for completing it I know this probly cost 50 pence but I never ever got a trophy for anything, in fact I never entered anything that gave out medals in my life so this has become an obsession for the last few days, im gonna get the dang medal if it kills me, i catch a cold on Thursday (first since dx) typical, am I gonna let that stop me? hell no, so I start doing a few things leading up to the race ive read about, making myself hydrated and eating in a certain way (minus the carb loading) and im into it, cant think of anything else, so I dont sleep last night worrying about it, get out of bed at 6 to find my nose dosent work, its completely stuffed up, I have a hot shower, start jumping around in the living room trying to workout if I need it (must have looked weird lol) but alas yes it seems its quite important so defeated, I decide not to go to the marathon :( very upset and annoyed with myself I decide to go to the park to see how bad I would have done, by mile three I felt terrific and was seriously regretting my decision not to go, I ran onto 9 miles which was my previous record and with burning calf muscles kept going, at ten miles i was going to do it, nothing on earth was going to stop me, i was finishing or being taken away in an ambulance, by mile 11 I could feel my body giving up the ghost, I was dragging my feet and doing everything I could to not trip over, by mile 12 I had pains in my legs, back and strangely stomach cramps, I didnt take water so that might explain the stomach cramps as I was very thirsty, somehow.....somehow, I managed 13.1 miles which was the distance of the half marathon I was going to enter it took me 2 hours 20 minues (no stopping), i had a private celebration throwing my arms up like i was running through the tape lol, i was way past caring what anyone who may have been looking at me thought, i didnt collapse or throw up, both of which were options, i just slowly walked or hobbled back to the car, my legs were lead, had a drink and drove home, fell out of the car and into the shower announcing my victory to the family who were thoroughly unimpressed lol i am now knackered, my legs are aching and my cold has decided to come back with a vengeance but i am elated, this means the world to me, i feel like rocky at the top of the steps, i didnt get my medal, no one who saw me running never knew what earth shattering event was taking place, if i never achieve anything ever again in my life i have this and no one can take it away,

im sorry this is long and i dont mind if no one reads it i just wanted to make it public record, my daughter always says once you put something on the internet it cant never be deleted, im not sure what this means exactly but here it is, it can never be deleted! i did it!

imagine how long the post will be when i do the full 26 miles :wink:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It makes such a nice change to see a post that just gives you a proper cheesy grin the whole way through ! Seriously a massive milestone there Andy ! I really felt excited for you lol ! I for one will be looking forward to the 26.2 mile posting with great anticipation ! Well done, big inspiration !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Kewooooooool for cats!! Well done bro
Although I have to say your header is misleading it should read "13.1 MILESTONES WOOWOOP"

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great stuff, part way through I was thinking, if you can do 9 miles you can do a HM.

Now just think how much better it will be next time when you're well and with a bit more training.

And I wouldn't worry about carb loading for a HM you have enough on board as a T2, just hydration, drink maybe 500ml water in total, should be enough.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Thankyou Both :)

i have booked myself into a 10 mile race on the 20th oct so im going to train for that it sounds very hilly hehe cant wait :)

never done 10 mile so i reckon ill get a pb lol

WhitbyJet

WOWEEEE WELL DONE YOU :clap: :clap:
You have come a long way since you first joined the forum, and all in a short time, you are an inspiration
Thanks for posting, this makes me smile, am so happy for you.

All the best to you and yours x

K

Kat100

Well done Andy...I have to push myself to walk 3 miles five times a week....but a year ago I couldn't do that...
Congratulations......x

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
Pez68 said:
Very inspirational and funny thread mate, sorry about previous message, my large thumb pressed wrong button, and auto spell is a pain Well done Andy, I hope to do 5k one day[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Flippin' nice one mate !!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

This has inspired me to see the doc for an health MOT(I had major surgery earlier this year) and if he gives me the all clear I'm going to try and build up my fitness so I can do the same as you ! I know other people who do park runs and marathons and they say it's addictive in a good way ! I want some of that for myself ! :D

Best

Paul

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thankyou :)

paul it would be great to get you out there with me, we could run along agreeing with eachother lol

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done,
Did you realise that if you had done that time at then Barn's Green half marathon you would have had quite a lot of people behind you (last finisher 2011: 3hr 36min)... though the best party is always at the back :lol:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
mo1905 said:
It makes such a nice change to see a post that just gives you a proper cheesy grin the whole way through ! Seriously a massive milestone there Andy ! I really felt excited for you lol ! I for one will be looking forward to the 26.2 mile posting with great anticipation ! Well done, big inspiration !

Well done from me too. I think for the 26 miler posting, a pot of tea and a book perhaps :wink:

Congratulations Andy, onwards and upwards.

RRB :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
thankyou :)

pheonix, i was looking at passed results and wondering where i would come in if at all, i reckoned 2 hr 40 which would have made me 1000th and something lol but it could be 20 hrs for the full marathon because each mile was getting slower :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Quite an achievement, well done Andy :clap: