A Mince Pie Conundrum

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When it's December, it's close to Christmas, and it's been snowing outside all day ... is it okay for a diabetic to eat mince pies with impunity?

I'm not a medical expert...

BUT

... it seems reasonable to me that this should be allowed.

And after reading study after study, nobody has specifically advised against it.

So that's the same as saying that it's fine.

Isn't it?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Lol. I love your take on things. I, too, have done extensive and detailed research into the possible effects of mince pies on the metabolism and found zilch therefor my conclusion is that unless and until RCTs have proved otherwise I shall be indulging in said yum yum during the coming festive season. ;)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would say it's ok for me, someone with type 1 diabetes, to eat a mince pie if I bolus for it. I haven't had, or even been offered, any mince pies yet. But I will be eating one after a 10k run on the beach next Sunday because it's a Christmas run and you get given a mince pie at the finish line :) I might have to buy some mince pies for work tomorrow (I couldn't possibly inflict my baking on them and if I get the mini mince pies I saw in the supermarket earlier the carb content is totally managable).

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol. I love your take on things. I, too, have done extensive and detailed research into the possible effects of mince pies on the metabolism and found zilch therefor my conclusion is that unless and until RCTs have proved otherwise I shall be indulging in said yum yum during the coming festive season. ;)

Thing are looking promising!

Some enterprising cook could always try these...
https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/low-carb-christmas-mince-pies/

Top tip, I'll be giving those a go!

I would say it's ok for me, someone with type 1 diabetes, to eat a mince pie if I bolus for it.

To be honest, I have had ... a few ... real, full-carb, full-fat mince pies recently. What I'm finding as a Type 2 just now is that I can use exercise-straight-after-food as a sort of "bolus", if I work hard enough at it. I had a frankly toxic amount of carbs from mince pies yesterday, was walking up hills very fast with a heavy rucksack half an hour later, and for about an hour. 2 hours after eating, my b.g. was in the non-diabetic postprandial range.

Was it worth it? Yes, yes it was!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Mince pie and Xmas pud have a "get out of jail free" card for Xmas day.

I may well hide my meter, though.

Reactions: bkr and Ultramum

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am seeing santa on a Christmas steam train next week. There will be mince pies. As it would be the height of rudeness not to eat them I will of course force myself to finish one. Or possibly two. I do so like to be polite.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(I couldn't possibly inflict my baking on them and if I get the mini mince pies I saw in the supermarket earlier the carb content is totally managable).

Speaking of MINI mince pies ... I foolishly tried the Aldi "mini spiced caramel mince pies". That's how it all started. I mean, come on, they are MINI. And they had NUTS in to replace some of the fruit. So that made them practically made-for-diabetics, right? OMG, they are amazing. Very, very dangerous things!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am seeing santa on a Christmas steam train next week. There will be mince pies. As it would be the height of rudeness not to eat them I will of course force myself to finish one. Or possibly two. I do so like to be polite.

By the way, I love that you marked my opening post as "informative"! That really made me laugh!

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
i don't trust myself to eat them - if i have one i probably won't stop. just easier to ignore them .... i've also gone into hibernatory mode, so am finding exercise even more of a challenge than normal, even dancing at home ..... :grumpy: serious amounts of sugar and carbs in ordinary mince pies, but if you can restrict yourself to one or two, i wouldn't think it'd be a life changer .....

Reactions: AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i don't trust myself to eat them - if i have one i probably won't stop.

I'm with you on that - stopping is the real problem. I tried to program my mind to think of them as fuel for walks, not as nice food. It worked. For the first two.

I need to take up this "geo-caching" thing, and hide them in wildlife-proof containers halfway along walks, so that's the only way I can access them.

Now that I've had the idea ... I'm not sure I'm joking. Hmmm....

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I need to take up this "geo-caching" thing, and hide them in wildlife-proof containers halfway along walks, so that's the only way I can access them.
wow, there's a whole fantasy world in that idea .... i like it!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Surely though if they are drowned in double cream then that will hide the carbs, right? Sort of sneak them through while the liver and pancreas are arguing over the sprouts?

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
wow, there's a whole fantasy world in that idea .... i like it!

I was going to suggest a sort of diabetic ramblers association, to avoid the problem that if you went out to hide your own mince pies, you'd eat them before you got there. So in this DRA, members would hide each other's food. But that wouldn't work either. If I'm halfway up a hill and I've got somebody else's mince pies, they are going in my belly.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Has anyone else tried Asda mince pie flavoured nuts? Expensive but amazing dipped into double cream.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9B634991-7E94-4F52-AAB2-2C87C0B12893.png
I have a packet of these for Xmas :hungry: