A Mince Pie Conundrum

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have mince pies in the office; Monday was so cold I could even eat them (one) "free" yeehaa \o/

Low temperatures as an excuse to use naughty food for thermal reasons?

I don't know what to do first, get my notebook out to log this idea or turn the heating off:)

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Low temperatures as an excuse to use naughty food for thermal reasons?

I don't know what to do first, get my notebook out to log this idea or turn the heating off:)

lol, turn off the heating, break out the wii fit and bring on the pies...:joyful:

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My diabetes nurse has told me NOT to be scared of Christmas. Mince Pies (small), Christmas Pud, a small Roastie and even a little alcohol will be consumed in this house (plus a few other treats). Will just have small portions, spread out over the Festive Season and keep up the exercise in between. Keep an eye on how you feel and don't over do it. Hope you enjoy Christmas.

Great stuff! And I admire your discipline re moderation.

As for me, I'd like to see a mince pie dispenser for the weak of will. I'm picturing something that looks a bit like a safe, and it will dispense one mince pie per day. If you ask it for more or try to tamper with it, you get an electric shock.

I was watching some science documentary recently and it showed a mouse in a cage helplessly addicted to sugar, constantly drinking from a tube containing a sugar solution. I felt sorry for it, but also had the unsettling realisation that I was looking at myself:(

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was going to suggest a sort of diabetic ramblers association, to avoid the problem that if you went out to hide your own mince pies, you'd eat them before you got there. So in this DRA, members would hide each other's food. But that wouldn't work either. If I'm halfway up a hill and I've got somebody else's mince pies, they are going in my belly.
probably need to persuade someone philanthropic without diabetes and with strong willpower/dislike of mince pies to do the honours ...

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My diabetes nurse has told me NOT to be scared of Christmas. Mince Pies (small), Christmas Pud, a small Roastie and even a little alcohol will be consumed in this house (plus a few other treats). Will just have small portions, spread out over the Festive Season and keep up the exercise in between. Keep an eye on how you feel and don't over do it. Hope you enjoy Christmas.
the liver prioritises getting rid of alcohol above dumping sugar into the bloodstream - yaay, i plan to break out the laphroaig :happy:

Annynew_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This being my first Christmas as a type 2, I’ve been nearly crying on the cross trainer over the lack of mince pies. However I think 1 mince pie will equal about 5 sweaty cross trainer kilometres and am happy with that. Sod it, it’s christmas!

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anything you eat mince pie christmas cake etc, test your blood sugar after and see the results !!!
Lol. I love your take on things. I, too, have done extensive and detailed research into the possible effects of mince pies on the metabolism and found zilch therefor my conclusion is that unless and until RCTs have proved otherwise I shall be indulging in said yum yum during the coming festive season. ;)

P

pollensa

When it's December, it's close to Christmas, and it's been snowing outside all day ... is it okay for a diabetic to eat mince pies with impunity?

I'm not a medical expert...

BUT

... it seems reasonable to me that this should be allowed.

And after reading study after study, nobody has specifically advised against it.

So that's the same as saying that it's fine.

Isn't it?
I am not medical expert either, but common sense Mince pies must be viewed classed not only as CARBS, but on of the highest ratings of carbs items! its sugar, flour, its carbs, carbs carbs.

You dont eat, well, perhaps like a spoon of icream, or a tiny piece of choc cake for SPECIAL OCCASIONS circumstances, birthday, or Xmas, but as a general rule, there is no doubt about whether you should or can eat, its viewed in my opinion its high carb food item that means DONT EAT as general rule, but special occasion, eat, and doo a 10 min brisk walk afterwards to try and get rid of the damage you may do to spike your BS???

Mallorca

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was very busy yesterday so I had a M&S Chicken Madras ready meal (supposed to serve 2!) and 2 chapattis homemade with Fiberflour, total carbs 26g and a tasty filling meal. I noticed that the M&S mince pies that my wife bought are 36g per pie. I won't be wasting any of my carb allowance on mince pies!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was very busy yesterday so I had a M&S Chicken Madras ready meal (supposed to serve 2!) and 2 chapattis homemade with Fiberflour, total carbs 26g and a tasty filling meal. I noticed that the M&S mince pies that my wife bought are 36g per pie. I won't be wasting any of my carb allowance on mince pies!

Yes it's crazy. One of the types I was hooked on was 39g carbs per pie, and really they are only two mouthfuls for me. If I were to "eat to satisfaction" with mince pies, I'd have 3 with a cup of tea. Then I'd think "that was nice" and have another three with another cup of tea. Very dangerous things.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally got some last night. Very nice, thanks for the heads-up!
OMG I’m glad you posted! With my foot op and everything I’d forgotten I’d got these! Will dig them out of the cupboard today :happy:

Reactions: AdamJames

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG I’m glad you posted! With my foot op and everything I’d forgotten I’d got these! Will dig them out of the cupboard today :happy:

Haha! I feel a bit like a slightly-late Santa now even though I didn't do anything :)